SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Another Auto to 5 speed swap question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-10, 02:27 PM
Sinistr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Another Auto to 5 speed swap question

I've been reading and reading on how to do this swap, but I am reading mostly on how people have swapped in a R154, or a W58 from an N/A Supra.

First let me explain what I am going to do. I have a 94 SC300 that is currently an Auto. It needs a little work, in and out, mostly cleaning, but I got the car for free, and it is a complete car that runs. This is the car that I will build on, since the initial cost for the car was $0.

I was able to source another SC300 that was totalled, and is missing damn near all the body panels, windows, and interior. But, it has a good complete drivetrain with a 5 speed, intact. When I went to pick up the car, the person that I bought it from, was actually able to drive it up onto the flatbed. He also handed me the maintenance record that he had from when he bought it from the original owner. This car has just shy of 70k on the odometer. And it's a 92.

So, my question is as follows. How difficult will it be to swap in a w58 tranny, and the whole drivetrain for that matter( why let a good running 70k mile motor go to waste) into my Auto 94 SC300? Like I stated earlier, I've read about R154's, and Supra W58's, but what about a W58 that came originally out of an SC300? Would it be any easier swap, or is the level if difficulty about the same? In the process of this whole changeover, can I, or will I need to use the 5 speed ECU? Thanks for the help CL, and yes, I will continue to search, read, and learn some more. From those of you that have actually done it, maybe you can point me to the right thread. OK, let's hear it...

Chris
Old 11-17-10, 02:54 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

the swap is pretty easy/straight forward since you have the complete swap out of a running donor car..meaning the gauge cluster/ecu/clutch pedal and all misc. parts are right there at your expense...pretty damn good deal and shouldn't be to hard for a person with some mechanical skills.
Old 11-17-10, 04:06 PM
Sinistr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^I was thinking the same thing, that it should be pretty straight forward. Since I do have all of that "stuff" to swap over. The only real concern that I had, was the whole shifter extension thing. I was just wondering, if someone would chime in that has done the SC3 auto, to SC3 5 speed. Was using a tranny that originally came in the SC, any easier than using a non SC tranny? Or is the level of difficulty about the same for any manual going into the SC chassis?