SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Old Man!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-02 | 06:08 AM
SBJ
Rookie

Default Old Man!

:eek: Wow, after reading the other thread about model, age, & location, I find I am one of the old timers in this group. I thought beeing 32 was fairly young to be a Lexus owner. Not too many teens and 20's driving around Grand Rapids in a Lex. Lots of tricked out civic's, preludes, Altima's etc. I though I would be one of the young ones on this board when I joined.

Damn I feel old!

P.S. Where do you dudes get all that cheese for your cars?
Old 07-31-02 | 06:48 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I graduated from ISU (Illinois State) in 99. Got a job. Bought an accord. Always liked cars but never got to play with them. Did some minor modifications to the accord. Realized I could not get much performance out of it. Bought a Del Sol with the B16A3 built. It was relatively fast, high 13's, very fun to drive. It had all the tweaks when I was done short of f/i wich was in the plan. Got in liscense trouble. Sold the del Sol (it was just about toasted) and bought the SC300 in an attempt to not draw as much attention to myself and still have fun driving. It seems to be the major opinion that only old men drive SC's. So far, so good.

The real reason I bought the SC is due to it's close relationship to the mkiv and the possibility of turbo which is what I really want. A built small block dragger is in the future too. But for now we are waiting for the house to be finished. The money comes from Mitsubishi Electric Automotive of America where I work as an engineer on production of distributorless ignition for GM. We make the coils for the v8 trucks, start v6 ops next October and corvette is coming in 04. I'm not the highest paid but manage to stay out of serious debt. Up until now.
Old 07-31-02 | 07:57 AM
machinegt
Pole Position

i'm from georgia tech, working as a computer programmer, in atlanta, ur either a computer programmer or a stripper, either way u make good money hehe!
Old 07-31-02 | 08:13 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

26, graduated with a business degree, got my MBA and working in the lending field my whole life. Just moved to Knoxville, TN to become Vice President of a Bank.

Last edited by JohnnySC; 07-31-02 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-31-02 | 10:06 AM
strongsail
Instructor

Talking HAH!

SBJ, you're just a kid! And you're right, you seem to be one of the older guys responding to that other thread.

I am so far off the scale compared to all the other responders, I decided, I'm not goin' there!

How old am I? Let's just say that when I got my license, my mom had a really hot car that I raced in the "midnight nationals" on country roads near my hometown...it was a 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk...

Age has its advantages - - annual car insurance premium of less than $900 for 2 cars - - with the AARP discount!
Old 07-31-02 | 10:56 AM
stock300
Driver

My last speeding ticket was in 1965 (100mph in a 65 zone).
I'm not suprised at all of the young owners of SC's. My last car was a Supra and many of the SOGI members with high bucks MKIV's were in their 20's. There is an abundance of Lexus information from these from these young folks that saves me a lot of time and money. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-31-02 | 11:00 AM
projectsc
Pole Position

I'm 19 and seriously looking for an SC300 this winter/spring. Reason being is that I've had 2 civic (4th gen sedan & 5th gen coupe) and kinda tired of having that stereotype when driving them. Actually when I first had my sedan...civics and honda's in general in my area where RARELY modified. But I want the SC300 for luxury, sportiness(sp), and rarity. Yes the SC300 is very rare in my area and I'm only a hour and 30 mins from NYC. If you do see one it is owned by an older man(40s+) and still that you rarely see. But we do have A LOT of ES, IS, and LS in our area. Also there is this one Roadster concept looking lexus that I just saw 2 weeks ago. I thought it was the SC430(with top down) but I have a pic of it in my Road and track and with the hard top down and it doesnt look like that. It looks more like an Audi TT.

But to enough with the rambling...lol...I've noticed here too that most of the owners are late teens early 20s....

Or is that this board targets "tuners" and not just normal owners..
Old 07-31-02 | 11:22 AM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

yeah...that thread is gettin old....

its over a year now.... geez

it was back when i joined clublexus
Old 07-31-02 | 01:49 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

sail, your mother had a Studebaker Golden Hawk? Nice....

P.S. - AARP, hehe, the senior citizen's rite of passage...
Old 07-31-02 | 02:24 PM
strongsail
Instructor

yeah, I avoided AARP for as long as I could but when I got the Lex and started shopping for insurance, the savings were *amazing* so I finally joined up.

That Hawk was a hottie - faster than most Corvettes of its day and absolutely ate T-birds for breakfast! It was stock with a 352 cid 275hp, B/W 3spd auto - the 3spd manual version was the fastest US production car of '56, 157mph documented at Daytona.

That's something I liked immediately about the SC - a 160mph speedo just like the Hawk.

At the Midnight Nationals, the only guy who could routinely kill me was a good buddy with a cherry '56 Chevy Belair, built to the hilt, 327 tripower 325hp, we owned the road back then, he learned to drink & drive and died 15 years ago, now I'm hangin' with all these youngsters...

Last edited by strongsail; 07-31-02 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-31-02 | 06:08 PM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default Hehehe...

I think there are so many young people with SC's is because the SC provides an exceptional package of luxury and sporty (non-outdated) looks for a very reasonable price. Also if you live outside of the US you can get the JDM Soarer which comes factory twin turbo and can pull off very impressive times with simple bolt ons.

I bought my Soarer 2 years ago (gee how long it has been) when the Ladman site was the definitive US Lexus forum. I bought it because it had style (something my dad is proud of driving), luxury and plenty of whoop *** power. It was also cheaper than a brand new corrolla... :P

Most people know I thrash the poor car heaps, 2 sets of brake pads, and tires in 2 years attending street events etc and the car had held on without a problem. I've even gone sideways into 2 pine trees and the SC just had panel damage.

My Best time is 13.6 (this was on bridgestones) on a Gtech for the 1/4 which is respectable for a semi stock Auto Soarer. There's still heaps of potential left in this engine though. If you can get HPI in the states, they are doing a build up of a Soarer in stages, and the owner has done a 12.x second pass with just 4 mods. Cooler, ECU, Exhaust, Filter. Everything else is standard although he has a 5sp manual whilst I have the Auto. I'm just hoping to get into the 12's.

There's alot of reasons why the SC is still so popular. Tough construction, good looks and strong engine. What else do you need from a Grand Tourer... Hmm... Wide body kit... :P
Old 07-31-02 | 07:45 PM
dpakman91
Pole Position

i'm only 18, but i started working at circuit city in sales on comission, and did pretty well...so i did what every normal 18 year old would do...got myself a lexus...
Old 07-31-02 | 07:56 PM
Onelove
Lead Lap

I'm a 20 year old college student. Worked 40 + hours since the 9th grade and went through 4 hondas and 1 S10. Then I got a job at Titan Motorsports where I was blessed with the priveladge of seeing 600+ hp supras every day. I looked around for a MKIV but couldn't find one so I went for the SC300. Right now I manage www.suprastore.com and www.titanmotorsports.com and do sales for both of the sites. Hopefully if I can keep things up I will have a 2JZ-GTE T78 SC300 soon
Old 07-31-02 | 09:03 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

I got my SC when i was 18. I'm 21 now, gonna turn 22 this year.
Hopefully I can get myself a sc430 after i graduate college
Old 07-31-02 | 09:43 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

I'm 19 and got my SC about 6 months ago. I am look foreward to getting a better job within a month then.....turbo.

Quick Reply: Old Man!