SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Light It UP! SC Headlight Pics! Retro, Aftermarket, Custom, Lets See em

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-10, 11:25 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Light It UP! SC Headlight Pics! Retro, Aftermarket, Custom, Lets See em

Im doing some experimenting on my headlights to try and find another cheaper and better option for the SC headlights and also designing and building my own custom headlights in the process, but I need some more design ideas.

So if you have any kind of retrofit, aftermarket or custom headlight, fog light, turn signal, whatever, post it up!

Also, if anyone is interested in helping me with R&D click here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...rojectors.html
and send me a pm

Heres how mine's looking right now, and for the first teaser, turn signal fog lights. I know its not that special but wait till you see what Im doing with it
Attached Thumbnails Light It UP! SC Headlight Pics! Retro, Aftermarket, Custom, Lets See em-imag0009.jpg   Light It UP! SC Headlight Pics! Retro, Aftermarket, Custom, Lets See em-imag0012.jpg   Light It UP! SC Headlight Pics! Retro, Aftermarket, Custom, Lets See em-imag0016.jpg   Light It UP! SC Headlight Pics! Retro, Aftermarket, Custom, Lets See em-imag0017.jpg  
Old 11-19-10, 11:29 PM
americk22
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of paint job is that? Was clear coat used? Doesnt look too shiny? or is it the pics?
Old 11-19-10, 11:38 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by americk22
what kind of paint job is that? Was clear coat used? Doesnt look too shiny? or is it the pics?
Thats the original oem paint from 1993. The car is aslo really dirty and those pics were taken with my Droid.
Old 11-19-10, 11:50 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it isn't OEM, I do not like it.

imo

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-20-10 at 05:42 AM. Reason: potty mouth, confrontational
Old 11-19-10, 11:56 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MIGS
If it isn't OEM, I do not like it.

imo
See, now that's where you're wrong, cause actualy the OEM headlights are not good, thats why Im trying to come up with a solution for everyone here that doesnt require spending hundreds of dollars on retrofits or the aftermarket crap that actualy make the problem worse. (Im refering to light output, not the assembly btw)

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-20-10 at 05:43 AM. Reason: potty mouth and inappropriate 'hater' comments. knock it off
Old 11-20-10, 12:55 AM
adl16v
Pole Position

idk about all that neon lights and Audi look alike crap but the Stock projector lenses are pretty outdated and sh!itty if u ask me, such as the beam patten and cut off. Some TSX clear lens retrofit projectors would be a nice upgrade. Its OEM...OEM Acura
Old 11-20-10, 04:26 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In case you haven't seen my redesign, this is my redesigned and Xenon retrofitted headlight. Audi TT HID retrofit, BMW Xenon ring, custom fab secondary projector and clear lens. The Audi HID's are awesome. I agree that the stock headlight is a bit dated with the fluted lens cover and the 9006 headlight.

Ryan
Old 11-20-10, 04:41 AM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Ok, as adl16v said, the projector lens (not assembly lens) is very outdated. The way the old lens were made was by etching lines into the optic to focus the light. The problem with doing it that way is that a lot of the light being focused gets dimmed while passing through the each layer of lines in the optic which was actualy done on purpose because use of projectors and cut off lines had just recently been introduced to the automotive world and car makers werent completely sure if the projector style headlight would be problematic and headlight laws were also a lot stricter then.

Today, projector optics are first of all, made from a better quality quartz crystal and the use of lines in the optic has been done away with. And since the sience of projectors is nearly perfected now, car makers have entire departments completely dedicated to the the design and R&D of just the projector optics who's soul purpose is design an optic to be able to focus as much light in front of the vehicle as possible

What most people dont realize is that the projectors optic is actualy the key compontent to what makes a headlight good or bad. A good analogy to new and old projectors would be the difference between the eye glasses of the 1980's and the eyes glasses of today. You dont see people wear super thick glasses anymore do you? Well, unless its your grandpa who's had the same pair of glasses since the 70's

Sometime tommorow evening Ill post some pics of the aftermarket ebay projector optics and some BMW 5 series optics to show you all what Im talking about.
Old 11-20-10, 04:51 AM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC400TT
In case you haven't seen my redesign, this is my redesigned and Xenon retrofitted headlight. Audi TT HID retrofit, BMW Xenon ring, custom fab secondary projector and clear lens. The Audi HID's are awesome. I agree that the stock headlight is a bit dated with the fluted lens cover and the 9006 headlight.
WOW! Im not gonna lie, your original design is what Im kind of basing mine off of, but now Im gonna have to step up my game.
Have you done anything with your high beams?
Ill be using S2000 Projectors with TSX-R Optics (which I just order yesterday ) and some Hella Optilux (cant remember the model) fog lights in the assembly as well. Im moving the turn signal down to the fog location but will still have fog light there too.
Oh ya, and I just ordered my Denso HID kit the other day too.
Old 11-20-10, 05:46 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Members, I've removed or edited several inappropriate comments. Knock off the cursing and racist remarks or don't post on CL.

OP/Matt: Members can and often will have an opinion contrary to yours. Telling 'haters' to stay out of your thread is going to cause your thread to go downhill and get closed. If you don't value and can't maturely discuss alternative viewpoints then don't start a thread. If someone is insulting, report the post and let the moderators deal with it.
Old 11-20-10, 11:30 AM
VIP_LEX
Pole Position

Ryan
I don't care what anyone thinks, this looks sexy! Any pics of it on the car?
Old 11-20-10, 12:22 PM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

^ agreed that black housing is nice. I have a question: what is this cutoff ppl talk about?
Old 11-20-10, 12:40 PM
SC400-PHAE
Pole Position

amazing +1 for pics on car
Old 11-20-10, 01:16 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP_LEX
I don't care what anyone thinks, this looks sexy! Any pics of it on the car?
Sinece the OP/Matt said to post up on his thread, I will post this pick too. I just don't want to hijack Matt's thread...

Ryan
Old 11-20-10, 02:09 PM
19ES250
Lead Lap

Sinece the OP/Matt said to post up on his thread, I will post this pick too. I just don't want to hijack Matt's thread...

Ryan
new thread with write up please!!

Quick Reply: Light It UP! SC Headlight Pics! Retro, Aftermarket, Custom, Lets See em