SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Gated shifter for us 5spds.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-10, 07:47 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Gated shifter for us 5spds.

Is it possible? I'm not to sure what the difference is between a standard car with a leather boot or a gated shifter, besides the obvious aesthetics. Is there a difference in any mechanical components with the actual shifter or anything of that sort? Just popped into my head and anybody can chime in and leave any comment just keep it related please! Thanks in advance to anyone who gives opinions!

Best,
Asthray

Edit: I'm imagining a matte black.

Last edited by ashtray; 11-21-10 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-21-10, 08:22 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Ah, finally someone who agrees with me. I have been tossing around the idea with some of my friends about gated shifter for manual transmissions, like in Lambos and i think the Veyron. I just don't have a 5-speed car to mess with. But, if i did, i'd really like to make one out of carbon fiber. Ashtray, go for it. Give the boot, the boot (lol). I think it'd really transform the look of the car.
Old 11-21-10, 09:29 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

I think so as well. I was imagining a matte black one. I'd probably make a template out of cardboard, transpose it to MDF, then see how it would generally look wrapped in carbon fiber, if nice, I can get a machine shop to make an aluminum one. Who knows...it could catch on. I will try in my free time.
Old 11-21-10, 09:38 PM
UlRik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you mean like this?

that'd be sweet
Old 11-21-10, 09:44 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Yea but with the same bezel as if you had the stock boot. Basically gated shifter with in the stock bezel is what I'm aiming for.

edit: I'd like to add...I've always hated those metal ball shifters. I dont know what it is but I prefer to grip leather. That one goes with the color scheme no doubt...but still.
Old 11-21-10, 09:52 PM
SCupra300
Driver

Default good Idea!!!

few days ago i was talking with my friend about it, i would buy it for mine, i sure it would look good on 5 spd sc
Old 11-21-10, 10:11 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

I dont think our shifters move enough to have clean holes like that, they only move a small bit left to right so the 'groves would be so close they would overlap makeing one big square hole. then comes the problem of not everyone has the same shifter, there are a couple of diffrent transmissions that have diffrent shifters not to mention aftermarket ones, so if this worked one one car it wouldnt work on most others. this works well when your designing a car, you can make all the parts for all of the cars work togather, not so much when the car was made 20 diffrent ways and having one part fit all.

Btw Veyrons have DSG transmissions witch are driven like an automatic with paddles.
Old 11-21-10, 10:38 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JakeBreyck
I dont think our shifters move enough to have clean holes like that, they only move a small bit left to right so the 'groves would be so close they would overlap makeing one big square hole. then comes the problem of not everyone has the same shifter, there are a couple of diffrent transmissions that have diffrent shifters not to mention aftermarket ones, so if this worked one one car it wouldnt work on most others. this works well when your designing a car, you can make all the parts for all of the cars work togather, not so much when the car was made 20 diffrent ways and having one part fit all.

Btw Veyrons have DSG transmissions witch are driven like an automatic with paddles.
Everything you've said has crossed my mind so thanks for posting! I guess if a template were to be made, it could be general enough to where anybody could do minor modifications such as "add here, take away there" to make it work. I'm pretty sure I can make it work knowing my creativity and imagination. We'll see!
Old 11-21-10, 11:56 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

make it out of cardboard first to see what the shifter will hit and what it will now,

wish i had a 5speed to do this on
Old 11-22-10, 09:01 AM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

i've always felt like thos lambo gated shifter would be a huge pita to go from 2-3 and 4-5, since i usually just shift straight instead of zig-zagging it into gear. it'll be interesting to see for sure, though. try it out and let us know how it is.
Old 11-22-10, 09:28 AM
1uzDreamSC
Pole Position

You guys must have been watching top gear last night on history lol
Old 11-22-10, 09:48 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1uzDreamSC
Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

I've always wondered how hard it would be to quickly shift from one gear to the next. It seems like it would be hard to quickly get over to the next gear.
Old 11-22-10, 09:50 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My shifter rattles & shakes too much for a gated 5-spd bracket. I don't mind my leather boot with stock ****.
Old 11-22-10, 09:52 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1uzDreamSC
Damn i knew i missed someting going to sleep eairly. Was it good/worth it ?
Old 11-22-10, 09:58 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
Damn i knew i missed someting going to sleep eairly. Was it good/worth it ?
Well, so far I like the original better.

Quick Reply: Gated shifter for us 5spds.