Megan Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-10, 06:14 AM
94LEXUS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megan Springs

Hi guys,
I am wondering if anyone tried Megan Springs not the coilovers.
Since Megans make decent coilovers I am wondering if their springs are good as well...I want to know if anyone tried these springs?
Thanks

Steve
Old 11-27-10, 10:30 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I ran megans on my mazda for about 30K miles or so with no issues..i wanted to track my mazda, and at the time the megans had the lowest drop all around and the stiffest spring rates.

link to the megans for the sc? I dont think these were made for the sc, correct me if Im wrong
Old 11-27-10, 11:36 PM
lexus95
Driver

Originally Posted by jadu
link to the megans for the sc? I dont think these were made for the sc, correct me if Im wrong
im pretty sure your right but they probably made them for the supra so you could use supra shocks and then use the springs
Old 11-28-10, 08:43 AM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

since when did Megan make decent coil overs?
Old 11-28-10, 08:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

They're decent enough because they're affordable, have good range of height adjustments, and will do what most people need them to do (i.e be JDM low?). I have no desire to buy Megan coils, but many ballers on a budget seem to be happy with them.
Old 11-29-10, 06:25 PM
94LEXUS400
Driver

Yeah I meant decent cheap coils....not like KWs
Old 11-29-10, 07:51 PM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

for daily driven, megans are great coilovers, i had them on my daily driven Ls400 and i now have em on my daily driven sc. absolutely no complaints with the megans and i say that they are awesome coilovers.

i never fully understood y ppl say that they didnt like a particular set of coilovers because they rode to stiff or soft because u can control all of that unless u have dont have a fully adjustable set, but majority of coilovers are nowadays

Trending Topics

Old 11-29-10, 08:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

^^ That's because the dampers alone do not have the capability to offset the spring rate. No amount of damping changes can give your a soft ride if your spring rates are too stiff to begin with. The dampers should be used for fine tuning, not change the ride quality of your car. If you're relying too much on those damper *****, then most likely your spring rates are not well matched for the car.

Mind you many people have different opinion of what's 'soft' and 'stiff'. To those kids with 240sx, something with 18/16kg springs would be considered soft and smooth, but to the LS430 owners, 10/8 is stiff/rough
Old 11-29-10, 08:52 PM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

^^^ i 100% agree wit everything ur saying GSteg, But to some degree i feel that you are able to change the the dampening through the spring

if u adjust the spring perch on a fully adjustable coilover higher up, further compressing the spring which would make the spring stiffer because its under more compression from the getgo and would have a lil less travel as well, which would result in a stiffer ride, vs having the perch a lil lower not compressing the spring so much which would allow for a little bit more travel.
Old 11-29-10, 09:35 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I've seen Megan springs for the newer Lexus', but never for the SC. Did they make some for the SC/Supra TT recently?
Old 11-29-10, 09:54 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JakeBreyck
since when did Megan make decent coil overs?
Don't do it man you'll start a war. Haha.

Originally Posted by Li Ls4
^^^ i 100% agree wit everything ur saying GSteg, But to some degree i feel that you are able to change the the dampening through the spring

if u adjust the spring perch on a fully adjustable coilover higher up, further compressing the spring which would make the spring stiffer because its under more compression from the getgo and would have a lil less travel as well, which would result in a stiffer ride, vs having the perch a lil lower not compressing the spring so much which would allow for a little bit more travel.
You might want to do a little research on how a spring/shock works because that is not correct. It does not work like you are thinking it does. The spring does not become stiffer, and the only shock travel affected by pre-load would be in use only if you went to the brink of air-borne in your car. Then you'd have other things to worry about.
Old 11-30-10, 06:08 PM
94LEXUS400
Driver

Sorry for the confusion...
Its for Supra TTs and I am going to pair it up with Supra KYB Gas-a-Just Mono tube shocks. Wondering if its worth taking a risk?
Should I just go with tested springs like Eibach, Swift, or Vogtland?
Thanks again,

Steve
Old 08-22-11, 01:58 AM
soarerdd
Driver School Candidate

let me no how it goes for you man. I'm interested in doing the exact same thing but I seem to habe trouble finding the drop and spring rate for the megan springs. Yeah they'll probably be a little different mounted on the sc but shouldn't be too far different.
Old 08-22-11, 07:35 AM
Vampire222
Driver School Candidate

They sag in a lot on my old car they did atleast, doesn't matter much unless you don't want to go low.
Old 08-22-11, 09:22 AM
Alex2JZSex
Driver

If you are looking for a low ride, Grab a set of SPRINT springs.

Quick Reply: Megan Springs