SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Hesitaiting, 1uz help

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-10, 11:16 AM
1uzfe4147
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitaiting, 1uz help

Alright so i got my 1uz up and running again. Started driving and i noticed that shes hesitaiting... If i accelerate faster then normal it boggs down. And it sometimes stalls when i come too a stop. And the exhaust note seems to have maybe half the revelations in sound as it normally would. Going to take out the cat and resonators here soon, that might help some of the issue with the breathing and back preasure. Any ideas? ( 92 sc400 1uz, 190k miles )
Old 11-28-10, 05:29 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

check your coils. one might have died.
Old 11-28-10, 06:55 PM
ch1ck3n
Rookie

Did you just change out the timing belt or something? What did you do to get it up and running? 190k miles maintenance?

Sounds like your engine is misfiring to me. Check your coils and spark plugs to make sure all are in good shape.
Old 11-28-10, 08:31 PM
1uzfe4147
Driver

Alright thanks guys, i heard some sparks comin from which to me sounded like the plug wires. I am going to buy some new wires and perhaps that will do it. Because before i heard the sparks from the spot she did not have the issue. So maybe 4 cyl arnt firing because the wire fried out? Would make sense considering the half revelation exhaust note, and the bog. Am i right?

And yes i did just swap the timing belt and water pump.
Old 11-28-10, 09:00 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1uzfe4147
Alright thanks guys, i heard some sparks comin from which to me sounded like the plug wires. I am going to buy some new wires and perhaps that will do it. Because before i heard the sparks from the spot she did not have the issue. So maybe 4 cyl arnt firing because the wire fried out? Would make sense considering the half revelation exhaust note, and the bog. Am i right?

And yes i did just swap the timing belt and water pump.
Remember my offer...I'll send you my two working coils, and both sets of cap/rotors if you want. Try your wires first..however, before you go buy a new set, get them tested. You can probably go to AutoZone and rent a device to check there resistance for free. I would start there before I bought a new set of wires.
Old 11-29-10, 08:23 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does this too...i need new o2 sensors though
Old 11-29-10, 11:52 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull your CELs before you do anything. Jump E1 and Te1, key to ON, and record flashes. Even if you're not currently displaying a CEL, most spark issues will report in your ECU as a CEL in memory.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html
Old 11-29-10, 04:09 PM
1uzfe4147
Driver

Originally Posted by Klaus
Pull your CELs before you do anything. Jump E1 and Te1, key to ON, and record flashes. Even if you're not currently displaying a CEL, most spark issues will report in your ECU as a CEL in memory.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html
As this to you guys might seem like a normal thing to diagnose stuff. But that to me is almost giberish. Well somewhat, though the process to me is still completely unknown..
Old 11-29-10, 09:12 PM
ch1ck3n
Rookie

I hope you got the timing right, if not, then there go your some of the valves.

Did you try to rotate the crank shaft and the pulleys with the timing belt on while try to mark the timing?

Bring the coils to Autozone to check to see if it's still good, if it's still good, then GREAT. Now go borrow the compression kit and do a compression test with your engine.
Old 11-29-10, 09:42 PM
1uzfe4147
Driver

Originally Posted by ch1ck3n
I hope you got the timing right, if not, then there go your some of the valves.

Did you try to rotate the crank shaft and the pulleys with the timing belt on while try to mark the timing?

Bring the coils to Autozone to check to see if it's still good, if it's still good, then GREAT. Now go borrow the compression kit and do a compression test with your engine.
My timing is perfect, and i was driving her up to 50 the other day. So i completely doubt the valves are bent. And after i figure out how to check my ecu for codes or w/e it is. I will go and get everything i can get tested at autozone. My mothers b/f said when he heard how it sounded that he thought it was the throttle positioning sensor. But like i said going to check the ecu first. Is there a special way toget codes off the ecu? Never f'd with one.
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions thus far!

Last edited by 1uzfe4147; 11-29-10 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-29-10, 10:05 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

My timing is perfect, and i was driving her up to 50 the other day. So i completely doubt the valves are bent. And after i figure out how to check my ecu for codes or w/e it is. I will go and get everything i can get tested at autozone. My mothers b/f said when he heard how it sounded that he thought it was the throttle positioning sensor. But like i said going to check the ecu first. Is there a special way toget codes off the ecu? Never f'd with one.
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions thus far!
go back to your thread in the performace section where I gave you the links to step by step instructions to pull your codes. If you changed your timing belt, you can pull codes in your sleep.
Old 11-29-10, 10:41 PM
Klaus
Instructor

As this to you guys might seem like a normal thing to diagnose stuff. But that to me is almost giberish. Well somewhat, though the process to me is still completely unknown..
Ah no worries man . Did you read through the page on the link I provided? Basically if there are codes they are usually for a specific system in your engine that is having issues. With those codes you'll be able to better narrow down what is failing and causing the hesitations rather than just throwing random parts at the problem. Read through carefully. Also you can use the diagnostic port in the engine bay, it's easier to access. Just grab a paper clip to do the jumping and follow the instructions as per the link provided. Make more sense?
Old 11-30-10, 01:51 PM
1uzfe4147
Driver

Ya guys thanks, i realised i was thinking of something a little more more complicated.
Old 11-30-10, 04:19 PM
1uzfe4147
Driver

I was just thinking about my plugs.... I recently baught NGK plugs and i didnt GAP because i didnt think i needed too. But perhaps i do... anyone know if i would with NGK plugs?
Old 11-30-10, 05:45 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Nope don't regap. Any luck on codes?

Quick Reply: Hesitaiting, 1uz help