SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

need a new battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 05:33 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default need a new battery issues

the battery that came with my sc400 is a lexus battery that is roughly 4 years old, and getting the car started has been getting worst, i had to get someone to jump start my car 4 times today,

my friend says he has a battery he could sell me it just needed recharging. We put it in by leaving the car in and disconnecting the battery, and connecting the new one in. Easy enough I drive around for 20 minutes to recharge the battery, turn the car off and try to turn it on no go. Called another friend on campus to jump my car, nothing.

Call him up again and we take it to advanced auto parts to get recharged. WE wait like 30 minutes and it gets halfway charged. W put it back in the car, turn nothing. Connect one jumper cable to each others car, nothing. Then we connect two, it turns on, then i drive around for 45 minutes back to my house, get home turn it off, try to turn it on no go.

I don't know anything about batteries, does the sc take a special battery? He told me it should work with any car.

We are going to take a look at it again tomorrow its raining now.
Old 11-30-10, 05:37 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

its a 450cca interstate battery btw
Old 11-30-10, 06:04 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, there is nothing special about the Lexus battery. Your "friend's" battery may just be shot too. If he stored it for any length of time while it was discharged, he could have permanently damaged it. If you take either one to Autozone they can test it for you and tell you if it's any good or not. If it passes preliminary testing, ask them to perform a "slow charge" overnight on the battery and then go pick it up the next day; an overnight slow charge is far superior to a 30 minute quick charge. As far as jump starting the car, you will always need to connect two cables to make it work. If you end up needing it, you can get an excellent new battery at Costco for a very reasonable price; look for either a Group #24 (original equipment) or Group #35 battery. They will both work fine in your car, but the 35 is just a bit bigger than the 24. If a good battery doesn't work, you may have issues with bad cable connections and/or a bad alternator.
Old 11-30-10, 06:16 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alternator?
Old 11-30-10, 06:23 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

im hoping its not the alternator, imma try a red top optima battery i found for sale locally for $85

i was thinking maybe it requires more ccas to start the car xcause all the batteries i see fitting this car according to the advanced auto site is like 700+ cca
Old 11-30-10, 06:25 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chnk

... imma try a red top optima battery i found for sale locally for $85
May I ask WHY?
Old 11-30-10, 06:33 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

don't spend the money on a new battery. Just charge the one you have overnight then try and start it. If things are still sour then it's probably the alternator. Create a WTB thread on the For Sale CL forums and you'll find a good condition used one for a bargain. I'm sure theres a DIY sticky on how to replace it.
Old 11-30-10, 06:36 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

the on i have is like 4 years old, would that be a probably, people tell me they replace it every couple of day, ill give that a try now only if i had another car lol
Old 11-30-10, 06:38 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by good2go
May I ask WHY?
inst that a good battery? its $180 from any store
Old 11-30-10, 06:53 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chnk
inst that a good battery? its $180 from any store
Sure it's a good battery, but you don't really need a gel cell battery, so why get one? BTW, you can get them for way less than than 180 retail; more like 120. My only point is just that you don't really need a Red Top battery; you can get a perfectly good NEW battery with full warranty for less than the 85 you are willing to pay for your Ultima. I doubt you are getting any kind of warranty on the battery for that $85 price anyway. But hopefully, you won't even need a new battery, so this discussion could all be for not. G/L
Old 11-30-10, 07:12 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

ill give the recharge a try n see,
Old 11-30-10, 08:53 PM
1FastSc
Rookie

i have a problem similar but my car wont hold idle or even stay alive can it be my alternator or is it just my battery?
Old 11-30-10, 09:03 PM
ScJz
Driver

If you are able to get it running again to drive it (free) or tow it ($), then I would recommend to take it to a AAA car care center or a full service shop of the sort. They will hook a tester to your battery and tell what is wrong. Whether it be you battery, alternator, etc. The test only takes like 2 minutes too
Old 11-30-10, 09:45 PM
1FastSc
Rookie

well im gonna buy a new battery anyway i got the car 2months ago and the battery probably is old
Old 11-30-10, 10:49 PM
Deez300
Driver School Candidate

Somethig like that happend to me my battery died and got another one at the junk yard Nd lastd me a day, from my experience with USED batterys dude just get a new at walmart ther 75 bucks your car should be fine with a new one.

Quick Reply: need a new battery issues