SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

(off topic) Insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 05:08 PM
koolcat
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default (off topic) Insurance question

So I picked up my girl out of state and used her car to drive back in town. On the way back we saw four deers taking up two left lanes on a three lanes road and i was driving on the middle lane. So i tried to move left but hit one of them and my car got out of control spun 360 two times and hit the wall head on and broke my left arm. We didn't hit any other vehicle though.

-she has full coverage + medical, but medical only pay for $5000
-I need surgery on my arm...

My question:
Will my surgery+hospital bills be covered by her auto insurance under pain & suffering since i didn't cause the accident?

Anyone with similar scenario or know bout a case like this please chime in some light for me cause i think the surgery is at least 10-15k

thanks in advance,
Ryan
Old 12-03-10, 05:24 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

your personal medical insurance should cover some of the bills too. you should be covered under that and the auto medical policy. i believe thats how it goes. my gf had a similiar experience where she was a passanger and the hospital was pressing her to pay for 30k in hospital bills, lemme ask her
Old 12-03-10, 05:42 PM
koolcat
Pole Position

well i was the driver of my gf car when this happened
Old 12-04-10, 10:01 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn Broken arm.
That sux man. Friggen deer.

Did you already put in a claim?

If you or your GF have an Agent call the Agent of the insurance company that sold the policy not the actual company and ask coverage questions, they can tell you for sure.

I take it you don't have medical insurance from your work?
Old 12-09-10, 04:28 PM
koolcat
Pole Position

nope, no medical insurance from work but im wondering if i get an attorney to sue the ins company would they pay for my surgery? i just had surgery done so now my gf's car ins. only cover 5000 for medical and that's not enough
Old 12-09-10, 05:29 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by koolcat
nope, no medical insurance from work but im wondering if i get an attorney to sue the ins company would they pay for my surgery? i just had surgery done so now my gf's car ins. only cover 5000 for medical and that's not enough
So you want to sue the insurance company cause you got hurt by hitting deer?

Sorry but if your not listed as an authorized operator of the vehicle, the insurance company doesnt owe anything if you were driving. The vehicle insurance medical coverage will only cover authorized operators and passengers.
Old 12-09-10, 05:38 PM
SCfamily
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't uninsured motorist cover your injuries if she has it on her policy?
Old 12-09-10, 05:42 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SCfamily
Wouldn't uninsured motorist cover your injuries if she has it on her policy?
Uninsured motorist is only good if they got hit by another car that didn't have insurance..not him driving a car and hitting deer and not being listed on the insurance.
Old 12-09-10, 05:58 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by turbodremz
So you want to sue the insurance company cause you got hurt by hitting deer?

Sorry but if your not listed as an authorized operator of the vehicle, the insurance company doesnt owe anything if you were driving. The vehicle insurance medical coverage will only cover authorized operators and passengers.
That doesn't sound good. I'll make sure to only drive my own cars. I wouldn't want to get screwed....
Old 12-09-10, 05:59 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If she's got full coverage then they will cover up to the amount she has selected of her medical coverage.

Your insurance company will only cover YOU generally if you've got full coverage while driving someone else's car.
Old 12-09-10, 06:22 PM
koolcat
Pole Position

oh damn so all the surgery bill and medical expense is coming out of my pocket? well after the 5000 for medical that the insurance cover. Man i thought they have to pay bc this is basically like a natural disaster. wow that's gay
Old 12-09-10, 07:40 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by koolcat
oh damn so all the surgery bill and medical expense is coming out of my pocket? well after the 5000 for medical that the insurance cover. Man i thought they have to pay bc this is basically like a natural disaster. wow that's gay
Everything will come out of pocket. The insurance company isnt liable for your injuries (even the $5000 listed on the policy) unless your listed on her insurance as an operator. And sorry, but hitting a deer is far different than a natural disaster...natural disasters hit you, not the other way around. Thats like saying you had seen a hurricane about to strike in Florida, so you packed your things, and moved to a house directly in its path, then sued the hurricane for destroying your home.

To get ANY medical coverage from her insurance, YOUR name has to be listed on the policy as an operator. If its not, they dont owe you a dime, and it may cause her rates to increase due to allowing a non-listed operator to operate her vehicle.

And how badly is your arm broken that you need surgery? Compound? And if its that bad, why waste time typing? go to the hospital and get it taken care of, then worry about who's paying for what.
Old 12-09-10, 08:22 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just Sue Her
Old 12-09-10, 08:59 PM
koolcat
Pole Position

lol, it's already fix but thought her insurance would cover it but guess not now