SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Newb question. SC300 better than SC400??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-10, 03:23 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the 300 better than 400, I don't know, it depends what you want out of a car. If you don't plan on major mods the 400 is probably your best bet.
This right here is about the most true statement. The problem is that there really isnt any company out there that MAKE bolt on HORSEPOWER parts for the 400. Lextreme can order/get you custom internals for the 400, which will make HP but they will cost alot. Pistons,rods,cam's. Anywhere from $1000-$5000 & thats just internals. Headers are at least $600. You spend all that & still only have 300-350 RWHP depending on the setup. But you got just as, if not more TORQUE as hp. If you want to supercharge the 400 you most likely have to do rods & pistons on the 400 to handle the boost you want to run to make more than 350 rwhp. And your probably looking @ another 3-4k to do the supercharger setup. Look @ my #'s in my sig.
Old 12-09-10, 07:18 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kbb
First, I didn't mean to stir the pot on what was almost certainly now a wrongly-phrased question. What I meant to/should have asked (I think) was why were there so many more members(engine) tuning the 300 instead of the 400. I am about to take delivery of a 97 (my first was a 92 SC400 and I love the sound and smoothness). But around other similar, newer, class-similar vehicles, from a start and a roll....I get spanked. I want to know what, (from the simplest bolt-on to the best, most appealing full builds) could even that up a bit. Take price and experience for the yungunn pleae. Thanks
Aftermarket support, plain and simple. The Supra led to the explosion of aftermarket 2JZ turbo parts, while the 1UZ, despite being a very potent and high-quality motor in it's own right, remains somewhat in the background. The potential exists to make huge power, but there aren't many off-the-shelf parts for it and so most people pass it by. Stock for stock I would pick the V8 any day. For a ~400hp build and not a whole lot of innovation, custom work or headache, the 2JZ is a good choice. For big power and the opportunity to exercise your custom fabrication and engine building skills, the V8 comes back into play.

At the end of the day it's just personal preference and desired goals.
Old 12-09-10, 07:31 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Asha'man
Aftermarket support, plain and simple. The Supra led to the explosion of aftermarket 2JZ turbo parts, while the 1UZ, despite being a very potent and high-quality motor in it's own right, remains somewhat in the background. The potential exists to make huge power, but there aren't many off-the-shelf parts for it and so most people pass it by. Stock for stock I would pick the V8 any day. For a ~400hp build and not a whole lot of innovation, custom work or headache, the 2JZ is a good choice. For big power and the opportunity to exercise your custom fabrication and engine building skills, the V8 comes back into play.

At the end of the day it's just personal preference and desired goals.
Great answer. Makes sense.
Old 12-09-10, 10:11 PM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kira X
I get 16 mpg in both the city and on the highway. I've got an SC300 in great shape so I don't know what's the deal.

5-speed and 1JZ SC's get good mileage too! The same goes for the ones with VVT-i engines.
Dude u must have a heavy foot lol I think I get like 19-21 in the city wen I'm not punchin it
Old 12-09-10, 10:14 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder why so many people always say they searched and found no answers?
Mods, you better check the search button. I think it's broke again. We need to fix that button once and for all.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-or-400-a.html

Old 12-10-10, 07:13 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lfrers
I wonder why so many people always say they searched and found no answers?
Mods, you better check the search button. I think it's broke again. We need to fix that button once and for all.

You could go to ANY motorcycle and automotive forum and do a search for a topic that's been gone over a million times and not find an answer that YOU understand. The people know that did take the time to answer me know that ...even you did. BTW thanks for the links. Just wondering why there isn't as much tinkering on the V8. I'm just starting out so I'm gonna concentrate on some new shoes and the perfect stance. Let's get back on track.
Old 12-10-10, 07:21 PM
lemaylexus
Driver

I get 28 on the highway with my sc300 consistently. I live in a flat area, though.
Old 12-10-10, 07:27 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't go wrong with either motor as the average driver. If you're just buying a car to roll around in there's no need to do internals and all the extra power adders.

Get yourself a set of wheels, maybe a set of coilovers, do the little things. You'll be more than happy with the outcome.

For the small percentage of the people out there, seeking the most power over relative components is our goal. So that's why we usually go with the 2J, GTE to be more specific.

Originally Posted by lemaylexus
I get 28 on the highway with my sc300 consistently. I live in a flat area, though.
That's about right, I'm getting around 23 - 25 all around, mainly due to the size of my tire and wheel package. There's something wrong if you are below 18.
Old 12-10-10, 08:21 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kbb
First, I didn't mean to stir the pot on what was almost certainly now a wrongly-phrased question. What I meant to/should have asked (I think) was why were there so many more members(engine) tuning the 300 instead of the 400.
Someone already said it but I just wanted to hit it home. Blame it on the Supra! Because the SC could be had with a 2jz, thats the car everyone tuned. Also, since the majority of people who buy a Lexus dont care about adding turbo and superchargers, engines that are exclusive to Lexus (1uz, 3uz) are left in the dark. I guarantee that if the Supra had a different motor or never existed there wouldnt be very much support for the SC300 either.
Old 12-10-10, 08:47 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^, Technically. Those motors were just exclusive to Lexus over here stateside. The majority of the Lexus line-up during this time period were just counter parts of the Japanese Toyotas.

Yes and no on the aftermarket support; In Japan, yes, the US, probably not so much.

However, the 1U was developed for racing purposes originally, hence the 6-bolt mains. Much of the motor stayed in the same state as mass production began; lots of money was thrown at the program to develop the motor. Kind of odd that there's not really much support for it. I do know that HKS had support for the motor, not sure about today though.

Last edited by SChema; 12-10-10 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-10-10, 10:03 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

^Yea I also find that funny.

But to answer the Q...400 is best [in my very biased opinion].
Old 12-10-10, 10:41 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 432 Likes on 356 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by OaklandLex
Dude u must have a heavy foot lol I think I get like 19-21 in the city wen I'm not punchin it
I used to drive fast and race when I first got the car, but I stopped doing that and just drive like an old person. The car runs fine which is what bugs me. I don't know what's the deal.

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
You can't go wrong with either motor as the average driver. If you're just buying a car to roll around in there's no need to do internals and all the extra power adders.

Get yourself a set of wheels, maybe a set of coilovers, do the little things. You'll be more than happy with the outcome.

For the small percentage of the people out there, seeking the most power over relative components is our goal. So that's why we usually go with the 2J, GTE to be more specific.

That's about right, I'm getting around 23 - 25 all around, mainly due to the size of my tire and wheel package. There's something wrong if you are below 18.
I didn't realize your mileage was THAT high. I thought the VVT-i engines generally got better mileage, but that's almost as high as 4 cylinder Saturn. I'll do a tune up and see how it goes from there.

Originally Posted by MattStarr
Someone already said it but I just wanted to hit it home. Blame it on the Supra! Because the SC could be had with a 2jz, thats the car everyone tuned. Also, since the majority of people who buy a Lexus dont care about adding turbo and superchargers, engines that are exclusive to Lexus (1uz, 3uz) are left in the dark. I guarantee that if the Supra had a different motor or never existed there wouldnt be very much support for the SC300 either.
I've also wondered about that too. If the Supra had a totally different engine in the U.S., the SC300 wouldn't have much support hear. However, in Japan, it'd be a different story. The 2JZ-GTE was in the Aristo(GS300) before the MKIV Supra came out, so there would definitely be support for the engine in Japan.

The 1UZ is an awesome engine that I wish had more aftermarket support.
Old 12-11-10, 08:07 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

It really depends on the end goals of what YOU want from the car. Luxo cruiser with minimal mods? Or are you planning to go full tilt and work the crap out of it?

From an all out performance perspective I'd say go for an SC300, gut it and throw in whatever you're planning to do (1JZ/2JZ, manual swap etc). I'm guessing there's not too many differences interior wise between an SC300 and SC400?

Originally Posted by kbb
Just wondering why there isn't as much tinkering on the V8. I'm just starting out so I'm gonna concentrate on some new shoes and the perfect stance. Let's get back on track.
My take on why there's not much out there for UZ motors is market demand. Not too many owners of older SC's/LS's maybe even GS's aren't willing to invest say $4k in engine prep etc. and add another $5k to supercharge (for example) when their cars would've cost them usually sub $10k. There are the few that are willing to go the extra distance and I bow to that.

Before mods though I say go over it and replace any broken bits first then modify away.
Old 12-11-10, 08:13 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I've also wondered about that too. If the Supra had a totally different engine in the U.S., the SC300 wouldn't have much support hear. However, in Japan, it'd be a different story. The 2JZ-GTE was in the Aristo(GS300) before the MKIV Supra came out, so there would definitely be support for the engine in Japan.
On this note, I've always wondered why Toyota chose to use the 1JZGTE for the Z30 Soarer and Supra/Aristo with the 2JZGTE, when the earlier Soarer/Supra platforms shared the same motors (7MGTE). As potent as the 1JZ can be it would've been nice if the 2JZGTE was available as a factory fitment.

There's already limited support for Soarer specific 1JZGTE parts in Japan, and late series Soarers with the VVTi 1JZGTE (like mine) virtually have no aftermarket support in Japan, bar maybe an air filter.
Old 12-11-10, 08:47 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

400 vvti out of the box+ manual swap=reliable n/a
or 300 2jzge+turbo+manual+$$+time+sweat+more$$$=? Read the next line more likely you will end up wanting to do that, and then you'll want to go single and that even more $$$$$$.
Or 300+2jzgte swap+r154/v160+$$$$=power<< this is where it's at!
Which way do you want to go?
So many variables and opinions, you just gona pay to play for the power.

Quick Reply: Newb question. SC300 better than SC400??