t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

motorex and rbmotoring
Old 12-13-10, 08:23 AM
Sc4Jr24
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought motorex was doing something illegal with the skylines and they stopped.
Old 12-13-10, 08:36 AM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Bottom line is, without big money backing and a few years to wait and hell of government red tape and rejections your not getting **** over here without looking over your shoulder every day.

I have spent years on this, and have just recently started looking back into it, and a lot has changed, but the bottom line is the same. There are a few places that are willing to bring your stuff in and get all the paperwork done for you, but you still gotta fight off the feds if they become interested in your situation. I frequent jdmvip a forum just for import (real slow and inactive forum) and they have some decent info along with nissan groups.

Best bet it to do a conversion, and even they are getting difficult to do with how hard it is to find clips now days. People are afraid to bring them across from Canada as they fear customs will seize them. Fact is, they cannot and will not seize a half cut as long as it does not have bad wheels/tires and you have all sales paperwork with VIN number on it showing salvage/parts. Thing is, 90% if the parts places still wont ship to the US.

There are more expensive ways to own a real JDM vehicle, especially if you live closer to Canada. PM me with your situation and i'll fill you in on details. I will be picky as they may choose to work laws to protect from people doing this.

The last thing is my idea I have not had time to explore. It will be much harder than the steps, but would open doors for everyone(may not want that). This will help to get cars legalized.
-Find an exporter willing to back you and maybe willing to give up several "cheap" cars for a good purpose. If they can spare 5k in cars to do EPA testing and dot impact testing, they can open a door for gobs of new sales from the US.
-Find importer looking to boost business(hell if you have cash, start your own.) They might be willing to file all paperwork, and have vehicles tested free of charge just to get things rolling. The customers will end up footing the bill but they will then be avail. for import.
-Buy car one day when cleared.

The above would be difficult, but will help you get your dream car. This direction would also be easier than getting documents from the manufacturer about the similarity of the us spec to jspec cars. The only issue, flood gates will open and flow uncontrollably. You wont be unique anymore. I love being unique, but at the same time RHD feels more natural for me, so its a hit and miss for me.

Welp, GL. I just skimmed over a bunch of stuff, but I hope you got the idea.
Old 12-13-10, 08:38 AM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sc4Jr24
I thought motorex was doing something illegal with the skylines and they stopped.
They were. They claimed that all of the dot modifications that were required, were being done. Well, they were not. Moterex was getting cars, and doing all visual and external mods, but leaving out the side impact enhancements and ect. Leaving out all structural mods and letting them go. Well, one was found not done properly, and well, **** rolled down hill.
Old 12-13-10, 08:49 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Check out this site, but don't know if they export

http://www.king-buyer.co.jp/info/top...24773;報
Old 12-13-10, 09:04 AM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Check out this site, but don't know if they export

http://www.king-buyer.co.jp/info/top...24773;報
I do not think king buyer exports. I do know that brave auto international does, and they ship to canada non-stop. They have great feedback from all over the boards and communities, and they might be a good start.
Old 12-13-10, 10:03 AM
SCVIP300
Pole Position

Imma just jump in on this read for ****s and giggles....I miss my 33
Old 12-13-10, 10:13 AM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kira X
I wish I had a JDM Soarer! They were so much better than our SC's...
How were they better ?
Old 12-13-10, 10:30 AM
Vortes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OaklandLex
How were they better ?
Just to name a few things, TEMS which was height adjustable suspension from factory, they came with 1jz and r154, had a center back seat, adjustable back seat head rests, rear window wiper, digital dash. Lots more stuff im sure, i just cant think of anything else off the top of my head.
Old 12-13-10, 10:38 AM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

Wow I wish I had all those goodies..who wants to trade their soarer? Lol
Old 12-13-10, 11:06 AM
JDM_Soarer

I was trying to sell a registered Soarer a while ago but there were no takers here
Old 12-13-10, 05:28 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OaklandLex
How were they better ?
I'll try to break it down...

JZZ30 (2.5GT-T): 1JZGTE with either the A340E auto or R154 manual, and digital combination meter. These were quite basic though, no electric steering column, base models had manually adjustable front seats. Could be optioned up (known as L-Package) with woodgrain trim, velour trim with electric front seats, TEMS suspension (think of it like an old school version of Tein's EDFC). Options across all turbo models are a sunroof and Torsen diff.

JZZ31 (3.0GT): Similar in spec to base model turbo Soarers. In later year models they were available in base (GT), sports (S-Package) and lux spec (G-Package).

UZZ30/31 (4.0GT): The most basic of the lot. Similar in spec to an L-Package turbo, except smaller brakes to house 15" alloys. Also available as Limited grade (leather seats with electric fronts, electric adjustable steering column and TEMS airbag suspension; optional EMV touchscreen monitor and reverse camera). Optional sunroof, Torsen diff.

UZZ32 (4.0GT-Limited): Active suspension model with four wheel steering. Has everything from the Limited, but no sunroof option.
Old 12-13-10, 05:52 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no legal way to import and register a Soarer at the level where it counts: Federal.

You can get the car over here, finagle some paperwork and get it STATE LEGAL, but you will never escape the possibility of having the feds showing up at your door to impound your ride Skyline style.

It's just like any other grey market vehicle that is not on the NHTSA eligibility list. You may find a way to sneak it in and get a slack state to title it, but the bottom line is that its not legal, and you have no recourse when the man comes and snatches it from you.

If you are patient and the laws don't change in the next 6 years, you MAY be able to legally import a JZZ30 Soarer once it hits its 25 year birthday.

It's all very sad. Stupid feds
Old 12-13-10, 06:59 PM
Relapser
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

okay you're all wrong about the soarers

there were so many different trim levels and options from factory with the japanese soarers that there's simply too many to list.

but a FEW things that (i've NOTICED from here) that soarers have different are, but not limited to:

3D digital dash
electric seats
heated seats
premium velour trim on Lpack turbos
reverse cam
EMV (electronic multi control)
TURBO ENGINE FROM THE FACTORY. haha
TEMS is not height adjustable suspension - that's a V8 thing. TEMS = electronic damper adjustment
electric folding mirrors

^^^there were MANY other "options" available ie: heated seats, mirrors that vibrate to shake mist off them. adjustable rear head rests. air filtration systems. all sorts - but the above are just the fundamental differences from factory (or at least at Lpackage level)

while we're on the topic of JDM to the states - anybody willing to send USDM to the australia???

...i want someone to send me a tortilla press. preferably someone from cali. anyone interested? and no im not kidding.

the "mexican" food we get here in australia BLOWS. i want to make my own tortillas.

BLK13x was however pretty bang on the money..

another difference i just remembered is - Lpackage soarer have the "screen" at the bottom of their cluster... this screen reads:
most errors that pop up - (in japanese of course - but we have translations for them)
time
odo
trip (trip "A" and trip "B")
how much fuel is left - (to the litre)
the outside temp
what gear you're in (in a digital display - not a lit up slider thing)

...think i got it all

but yeah - tortilla press?

Last edited by Relapser; 12-13-10 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-13-10, 08:14 PM
shawnlexus
Driver

so if i was able to come up with an address in Canada and just re register it there every year, and drive it in the states? what do you guys think?

I am in utah so if i did sneak past i do not have to deal with smog BS.

Quick Reply: JDM to the states