SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

JDM to the states

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-10, 09:09 PM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
There is no legal way to import and register a Soarer at the level where it counts: Federal.

You can get the car over here, finagle some paperwork and get it STATE LEGAL, but you will never escape the possibility of having the feds showing up at your door to impound your ride Skyline style.

It's just like any other grey market vehicle that is not on the NHTSA eligibility list. You may find a way to sneak it in and get a slack state to title it, but the bottom line is that its not legal, and you have no recourse when the man comes and snatches it from you.

If you are patient and the laws don't change in the next 6 years, you MAY be able to legally import a JZZ30 Soarer once it hits its 25 year birthday.

It's all very sad. Stupid feds
Maybe you missread my post, but I covered that it is illegal....

There are many legal routes people can take though to get legalized
Old 12-13-10, 09:10 PM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shawnlexus
so if i was able to come up with an address in Canada and just re register it there every year, and drive it in the states? what do you guys think?

I am in utah so if i did sneak past i do not have to deal with smog BS.
Has to be your property. Pm me for details.
Old 12-14-10, 12:20 AM
SC510
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rpk2012

getting the car after the 25 year mark is illegal? last time i checked it wasn't. after 25 years the gov could really care less what you do with your car, as the technology is outdated and emissions aren't even worth it. hence why we have so many over the top muscle cars and V8 datsuns. oh by the way i checked that out on NICO and one of the govt websites.

Last edited by SC510; 12-14-10 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-14-10, 12:32 AM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC510
getting the car after the 25 year mark is illegal? last time i checked it wasn't. after 25 years the gov could really care less what you do with your car, as the technology is outdated and emissions aren't even worth it. hence why we have so many over the top muscle cars and V8 datsuns. oh by the way i checked that out on NICO and one of the govt websites.
Okay, now I have messed up my own comments.

I understand the 25 year rule, as well as canada's 15 year rule. No trouble there, but I am talking all cars newer than 25 for US import. I am talking cars that people wont wait for, like a 97 soarer, 93 fd, ect. I am talking about getting them legalized, as to not have to wait for the 25 year rule.
Old 12-14-10, 12:37 AM
SC510
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, now I have messed up my own comments.

I understand the 25 year rule, as well as canada's 15 year rule. No trouble there, but I am talking all cars newer than 25 for US import. I am talking cars that people wont wait for, like a 97 soarer, 93 fd, ect. I am talking about getting them legalized, as to not have to wait for the 25 year rule.
ahhhh ok gotcha. i was bout to go into a corner and start crying if wasn't gonna be able to own an 89 R32 in 3 yrs. lol. but the R33 and only the R33 for instance is the exception to the rule correct? as that was properly tested?
Old 12-14-10, 01:19 AM
1FastSc
Rookie

How much would it cost tho?
Old 12-14-10, 05:18 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, I didn't miss that. I just thought it was worth reiterating.

Even so, I dont think there are MANY routes to federal legality as you claim. If that were the case, there would be AT LEAST one federally legal Soarer over here already, and I have yet to see or hear of one that is not simply a state legal car that is flying under the radar. Maybe I am wrong and the woods are full of them, but if there are they are some pretty secret squirrels.

Alot of people buy from the pool of cars already stateside, not realizing that they are still illegal. I just hate to see someone put themselves into a situation of potentially losing a car that they inevitably spent big money on simply due to their own ignorance of the law.

The only official path to a federally legal JZZ30 Soarer is to petition for eligibility and then provide crash test, or other data deemed acceptable by the nhtsa to prove roadworthiness, and THEN address potential smog issues.

The good news for the Soarer is that there is a sister chassis already here(SCx00) that could be used for donating chassis parts such as doors, glass, lights etc. to bring the JDM counterpart into compliance easier.

All of the things Motorex did for the Skyline would have to be done for the Soarer as well, and again, this is only if the feds/nhtsa agreed to give a RI the chance to do the mods to begin with.
Old 12-14-10, 06:49 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by OaklandLex
Wow I wish I had all those goodies..who wants to trade their soarer? Lol
Yeah, me too. The Soarer was so cool!

Originally Posted by BLK13X
I'll try to break it down...

JZZ30 (2.5GT-T): 1JZGTE with either the A340E auto or R154 manual, and digital combination meter. These were quite basic though, no electric steering column, base models had manually adjustable front seats. Could be optioned up (known as L-Package) with woodgrain trim, velour trim with electric front seats, TEMS suspension (think of it like an old school version of Tein's EDFC). Options across all turbo models are a sunroof and Torsen diff.

JZZ31 (3.0GT): Similar in spec to base model turbo Soarers. In later year models they were available in base (GT), sports (S-Package) and lux spec (G-Package).

UZZ30/31 (4.0GT): The most basic of the lot. Similar in spec to an L-Package turbo, except smaller brakes to house 15" alloys. Also available as Limited grade (leather seats with electric fronts, electric adjustable steering column and TEMS airbag suspension; optional EMV touchscreen monitor and reverse camera). Optional sunroof, Torsen diff.

UZZ32 (4.0GT-Limited): Active suspension model with four wheel steering. Has everything from the Limited, but no sunroof option.
I want the UZZ32! I hear they still cost like $35,000 in Japan though.
Old 12-14-10, 06:52 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

Why would it be illegal to have a Soarer in the U.S.? I see cars from right hand Europe over here all the time, and my friend has a Canadian/European WRX registered here too.

If all else fails, couldn't you just register the car as an SC300/SC400? Also, aren't there a few members on here with actual Soarers in the U.S.?
Old 12-14-10, 07:34 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kira X
Why would it be illegal to have a Soarer in the U.S.? I see cars from right hand Europe over here all the time, and my friend has a Canadian/European WRX registered here too.

If all else fails, couldn't you just register the car as an SC300/SC400? Also, aren't there a few members on here with actual Soarers in the U.S.?
Its not that it is RDH, it is that it is not a car that has been approved for import, and it was not built to comply with US safety and emissions regs. DOES it comply? Well, the burden is on the importer to prove that it can or will comply.

Some cars are already on the approved import list, and if they are, they can be brought over legally and made fully, federally legal through a RI. Perhaps some of the models you have seen fall into this category.

Like I said, most JDM cars have been brought over under the radar and registered in the STATE that they are in. The fact that it is fine with XXX state for you to tag your car and drive it on their roads does not protect you from the feds any more than California can keep your pot safe from the feds.

Last edited by stockhatch; 12-14-10 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-14-10, 07:38 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X

No one said it was impossible to have an overseas car, it's just all the red tape that's behind it.

To make it simple, what I know is generally if a car has been imported over here by the manufacturer it's usually much harder to import it over again. i.e. Toyota brings over the Soarer as the SC and you technically want to bring over virtually the same car.

Last edited by SChema; 12-14-10 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-14-10, 08:29 AM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stockhatch
No, I didn't miss that. I just thought it was worth reiterating.

Even so, I dont think there are MANY routes to federal legality as you claim. If that were the case, there would be AT LEAST one federally legal Soarer over here already, and I have yet to see or hear of one that is not simply a state legal car that is flying under the radar. Maybe I am wrong and the woods are full of them, but if there are they are some pretty secret squirrels.

The only official path to a federally legal JZZ30 Soarer is to petition for eligibility and then provide crash test, or other data deemed acceptable by the nhtsa to prove roadworthiness, and THEN address potential smog issues.

The good news for the Soarer is that there is a sister chassis already here(SCx00) that could be used for donating chassis parts such as doors, glass, lights etc. to bring the JDM counterpart into compliance easier.

All of the things Motorex did for the Skyline would have to be done for the Soarer as well, and again, this is only if the feds/nhtsa agreed to give a RI the chance to do the mods to begin with.

I understand this. The canada deal I was talking about wasnt meant to say that it made it legal stateside. The way people import from down south I also know is illegal, but, as some have stated, legal at state level, which doesnt matter.

My Idea of talking the exporter/importer to foot the bills (other than yourself) is the only way.

Sorry, just frustrated as we are one of the strictest countries for import, and its all damn political.

Hell, the r33 97-98(iirc) is still a good 55k+ when said and done from an ri willing to do the fixes.
Old 12-14-10, 08:32 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

It's kinda the same deal here as well. Otherwise I would've bought an Aristo V300 instead of a GS300

For arguments' sake though, say someone migrated to the USA, are they allowed to import their car there too? That's about the only legal loophole I can think of over my side here to parallel import a car. No such loopholes in the USA?

Say someone owned an Aristo V300 in Japan or wherever, migrates to Australia to live and decides to import their car. Provided they can produce enough ownership AND usage evidence (ownership/rego papers, inspection papers, maybe even down to providing proof of parking) and owned it for at least 12 (or 18?) months overseas they are permitted to import their car into the country without much problem and can do whatever they want with it onces it's here.

Parallel importing (or importing something not on the RAWS approval list) in Australia is a big no-no, and from what I've heard is that the car either has to be exported back or destroyed (NOT dismantled, big difference).
Old 12-14-10, 08:34 AM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BLK13X
It's kinda the same deal here as well. Otherwise I would've bought an Aristo V300 instead of a GS300

For arguments' sake though, say someone migrated to the USA, are they allowed to import their car there too? That's about the only legal loophole I can think of over my side here to parallel import a car. No such loopholes in the USA?

Say someone owned an Aristo V300 in Japan or wherever, migrates to Australia to live and decides to import their car. Provided they can produce enough ownership AND usage evidence (ownership/rego papers, inspection papers, maybe even down to providing proof of parking) and owned it for at least 12 (or 18?) months overseas they are permitted to import their car into the country without much problem and can do whatever they want with it onces it's here.

Parallel importing (or importing something not on the RAWS approval list) in Australia is a big no-no, and from what I've heard is that the car either has to be exported back or destroyed (NOT dismantled, big difference).

Interresting. I have heard of people importing from other countries, but IIRC there is still just a 1 year rule. No parallel import rule that I am aware of. Anyone chime in on this?
Old 12-14-10, 08:36 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

It does suck. What I am afraid of is that once the 25 year ban comes up on all the high power, rdh cars from the late 80s and early 90s, they will start flooding in like they did in Canada. As soon as that happens, you can expect dot to revise the law and cork the flow of cars just like Canada has/is. Bottom line is they don't want the cars here, and I don't expect them to let an appreciable number of them come in.

Quick Reply: JDM to the states