SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why put down the handling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 08:40 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
Yes it does but to certain degree. You only dial in enough camber to account for the most bank or lateral g force your car would presumably encounter at a particular track. The reasoning is so the suspension geometry would effectively use the entire contact surface of the tire when rolling/weight shift through turns.
Precisely what I was getting at.

Excessive camber could probably be useful in Drifting, making it easier to break traction
Old 12-14-10, 08:41 PM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The passenger side camber in the pic above would work great at high speed on a banked track like say.... Talledega.
Old 12-14-10, 08:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
Yes it does but to certain degree.

Pun detected!!!

Old 12-14-10, 08:57 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hmhatch
Fresh bushings (not that poly junk), supra-based spring/strut/swaybar setup, and alignment is a step in the right direction...
What? Poly is far superior to rubber as far as handling goes, and the only reason people swap to Supra components is because they're cheap. Rubber bushings and stock take offs from another car are hardly the be-all end-all of handling upgrades.
Old 12-14-10, 09:29 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WingsofWar
If there was a way to increase comfort and handling performance of the car without sacrificing anything but weight, you should share the magic.
It's called a BMW M3, Mercedes AMG CLK63 Black and Lexus IS-F
Old 12-15-10, 07:21 AM
TexasSC300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MattStarr
Well, I dropped the spare and the back seat and only use a 1/4 of gas.....she handles great!!
We kept the boob job and the shoes tho....she's still classy and sexy at the same time.
Old 12-15-10, 08:52 AM
scmissle
Rookie

I think we all agree that the bushings suck as far as handling terms. I visited my fabricator this morning, we pull off the rear wheel and looked at the how the control arm mounts and the bushings. He wants to wait to fabricate the new control arms until I get coils and lower the car. After we decide a close ride height to what we want, we will move the pickup points of the suspension and bring it "close" to factory geometry. while lowering a car and putting coil overs on it may improve handling, it also off-sets the suspension geometry that was engineered into the car. Lowering it and bringing it back to factory geometry will help aid in handling. I'm no engineer but I don't think I want to doubt the engineers that designed the car either.
Old 12-15-10, 08:58 AM
WingsofWar
Driver School Candidate

think your clever, that doesnt answer the question at all. I said "If there was a way to increase comfort and handling performance of the car without sacrificing anything.." of the car meaning SC300/SC400.

What you proposed is getting an entirely different chassy all together. Fail! try again.
Old 12-15-10, 09:02 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

M3 is a comfort car?? amazing handling, however interior and ride quaility suffer... *laugh*... CLK63 I have heard great things of but not for the $$$.. IS-F comfort and performance? *laugh*.. IS-F is harsh and it breaks loose with any form of real driving. IS-F Interior top notch!
Old 12-15-10, 11:10 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TexasSC300
Well, I dropped the spare and the back seat and only use a 1/4 of gas.....she handles great!!
We kept the boob job and the shoes tho....she's still classy and sexy at the same time.
You might want to put a little more gas in if you end up gripping too much. I have tested mine numerous times and it is shocking to me, but if I have around a quarter tank or less and am really pushing lateral G's at corner exit I get fuel starvation. If I have more fuel I don't have the issue.
Old 12-15-10, 12:03 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Candela
Precisely what I was getting at.

Excessive camber could probably be useful in Drifting, making it easier to break traction
Eh.. not quite. Most drifters tend stay within the 0 to -2* range of camber in the rear, and I even know a few that run positive.
Old 12-15-10, 02:17 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

This is a really stupid debate. Install some high perfomance tires, a 2-way lsd and some good coilovers and then tell me what you think of the SC's handling. Obviously there are other things that can be done to improve handling but those three are going to give you the best results.

Originally Posted by WingsofWar
think your clever, that doesnt answer the question at all. I said "If there was a way to increase comfort and handling performance of the car without sacrificing anything.." of the car meaning SC300/SC400.

What you proposed is getting an entirely different chassy all together. Fail! try again.
You took my comment out of context. My point was that the technology is out there and availible. What a lot of luxury car makers are doing now and have been doing is adjustable suspension systems allowing you to go from soft and comfortable to stiff and sporty at the press of a button. Obviously those systems wont be able to give you the absolute best handling or the most supreme comfort but if thats what youre looking for then youre best off buying a Gumpert and a Mercedes C class (just an example)

Originally Posted by eliteskill
M3 is a comfort car?? amazing handling, however interior and ride quaility suffer... *laugh*... CLK63 I have heard great things of but not for the $$$.. IS-F comfort and performance? *laugh*.. IS-F is harsh and it breaks loose with any form of real driving. IS-F Interior top notch!
(read the above)
I wasnt aware that we were debating interior styling and I beg to differ on your opion of the M3 and IS-f, but that topic should be discussed somewhere else.

Last edited by MattStarr; 12-15-10 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-15-10, 06:05 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

As for the handling of the SC - I've always defended it. Read the original road tests, the stock handling was highly regarded in it's day. At the time, it was towards the sporty end of things. I think Toyota did quite well on the ride/handling compromise given the intended market, and we have all the options in the world out there if we want to go about improving on it.

Last edited by SC_coupe; 12-15-10 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-15-10, 06:53 PM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Candela
How are polyurethane bushings junk? They greatly surpass regular rubber
Depends on what you want out of the car. In a street car, I'd prefer little to no NVH, especially in a Lexus. PA roads aren't too kind. The car is not a tin can 240sx or Honda, so I don't want it to ride like one. I'm not going to degrade the ride quality of a luxury car, or lube up my poly bushings every time they start squeaking. Also, most of the Japanese coilovers are junk. Yes, junk. I'd stick to Koni or Bilstein before running Tein/Ksport/Stance/ or whatever the current bandwagon suspension is.
Old 12-15-10, 08:15 PM
TexasSC300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
You might want to put a little more gas in if you end up gripping too much. I have tested mine numerous times and it is shocking to me, but if I have around a quarter tank or less and am really pushing lateral G's at corner exit I get fuel starvation. If I have more fuel I don't have the issue.

Got ya on that brotha! I'll test it out with 1/2 tank of premium. Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: Why put down the handling?