SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why put down the handling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-10, 08:43 PM
adl16v
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the handling aint all that bad with just coilovers and decent tires in my opinion. No need for some crazy expensive German cars, Just get a Evo X or IX just as fast around the track plus its not $5000 for just a cat-back like the others
Old 12-15-10, 09:25 PM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Subjug4tor
Remember while our suspension is similar to the supra's, Lexus gave the car much softer bushings and such, since the ride is supposed to be smooth as possible. Most SC owners want the luxury ride, not a harsh track suspension ride, so there's no huge demand for more performance or suspension parts for a Lexus SC, and only a small number of companies even make upgraded suspension parts for our cars.
Originally Posted by 3Rotor
That's the thing, WITH a little bit of R&D and modifications the car would be a good performer. Comparing stock to stock the SC is not going to fair very well.

Anything and everything can be made to handle and go fast relatively, just depends how deep your pockets are.
As far as this goes, stock to stock. Take the stock components from the supra and put them on the SC. Id think it'll be more in the running then. LSD, brakes, Controls arms, shocks struts, etc.....The parts were available for the car during production but simply chosen not to include because the car was intended for them.

That's all a bunch of what if's but i just cant rule out that the car has potential. without aftermarket parts. If the knowledge was there it might of been possible to order your SC like that maybe im rambling. I could take it to toyota now though and have the parts put on.

This post probably makes no sense I'm just trying to look at it from a different perspective.
Old 12-15-10, 09:56 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is not too hard to get good handling with the car:
  • Install properly fit larger, wider wheels with lower profile tires.
  • Install quality, adjustable coilovers
  • Install Daizen bushings
  • Install Daizen control arms, or Supra TT control Arms
  • Install a quality front and rear STB
  • Lower the car, but not too much
Your car will handle and respond significantly better, you will lose some comfort, but it will ride nice on smooth roads. You will spend some money to do all of the above.

At that point, add BBK's to front and rear too.

Ryan
Old 12-16-10, 07:06 AM
scmissle
Rookie

this has been helpful, learning what a lot of people have done to improve handling. I guess a lot of people find the Lexus SC300 to be a luxury cruiser more than a high performance touring car. Nothing wrong with that. I don't mind losing the comfort to have a performance car. There are ways to keep it simple and still keep it nice.
Old 12-21-10, 01:29 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after reading this my rear toe finally went on my car. it was swaying all over the road uncontrollably but i got it in the shop i will be ordering the following

Battle version traction rods
battle version rear toe arms
prothane rear uca bushings

i have the following in the front
coilovers(all 4 corners)
prothane kit for the front
tanabe (supra) sway bar
custom STB
old outter tie rods

is thier anything else i should replace while i am doing the rear or should i just replace the rear arms all togather
Old 12-21-10, 02:14 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Toastt
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't negative camber improve handling? Around turns and what not
Not if you don't have but 38% of your surface area touching the ground.
Old 12-21-10, 07:03 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock SC400 in ´95 recorded
Lateral Acceleration (skidpad): 0.85 g while a 2000 BMW M3 recorded 0,89 g.
The slalom speed was (600 ft): 63.8 mph

Not that bad.
Old 12-21-10, 07:13 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Yea it's really not that bad for a stock Lexus Sea Ray.
Old 12-22-10, 06:27 PM
scmissle
Rookie

not bad for specs at all! I dont want to spend money on a Supra conversion when I can have control arms fabricated and poly bushings installed and have camber adjustment. There's a guy here in phoenix who builds porsche race cars and a few have some nicely fabbed components. I'm also looking into Ikeya formula arms, and im definitely getting the front lower roll center arms from ikeya formula and battle version toe and traction arms.
Old 12-22-10, 06:54 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scmissle
not bad for specs at all! I dont want to spend money on a Supra conversion when I can have control arms fabricated and poly bushings installed and have camber adjustment. There's a guy here in phoenix who builds porsche race cars and a few have some nicely fabbed components. I'm also looking into Ikeya formula arms, and im definitely getting the front lower roll center arms from ikeya formula and battle version toe and traction arms.
If you have a good fabricator then you'd be better off having him raise the control arm pivot points on the sub-frame before dropping so much on IKEYA gimmicks. Then you can lower your car a lot and get handling benefits from it.
Old 12-23-10, 01:44 AM
scmissle
Rookie

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
If you have a good fabricator then you'd be better off having him raise the control arm pivot points on the sub-frame before dropping so much on IKEYA gimmicks. Then you can lower your car a lot and get handling benefits from it.
Yeah I mentioned this in an earlier post, changing the pickup points is the best way to lower a vehicle! I know Ikeya parts are expensive and I believe way over rated, but the are about the only company who offers a roll center adjuster arm for our car. thats the only arm im looking into getting from them
Old 12-23-10, 07:24 AM
johnboyjh
Driver School Candidate

OK here's my .02. Why not just get a 2nd car that performs as you want and leave the mods off the SC. I love my SC300 as a daily driver. It's comfortable can hold 4 people, drives on the hwy perfectly and looks good. Just what it was designed for. By the time you spend the $$$ to get the car to perform like some of the sport coupes - sedans , you've spent a ton of money and lost the essance of the car. Some cosmetics and maybe forced induction but that's about it. The car won't be the same after all the suspension changes and will have lost what I value the most.
Old 12-23-10, 08:25 AM
scmissle
Rookie

Originally Posted by johnboyjh
OK here's my .02. Why not just get a 2nd car that performs as you want and leave the mods off the SC. I love my SC300 as a daily driver. It's comfortable can hold 4 people, drives on the hwy perfectly and looks good. Just what it was designed for. By the time you spend the $$$ to get the car to perform like some of the sport coupes - sedans , you've spent a ton of money and lost the essance of the car. Some cosmetics and maybe forced induction but that's about it. The car won't be the same after all the suspension changes and will have lost what I value the most.
I have thought about this as well, a second car like another 240SX or DSM, but I already have another daily driver that holds 5-people has 4 doors and isn't a pita to get the car seat out of lol. My car would take twice the amount to get it looking like it's a luxury car, than it would to turn it into a great track car. I spent $1600 on it, with a "trans problem". Changed the filter and fluid and got first gear back instantly. My car is ugly, I will post some pictures of what 117 Degree heat will do to a car thats 15 years old later this afternoon.
Old 12-23-10, 08:28 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Too many kids putting horrible coilovers on their car.
Old 12-23-10, 10:30 AM
SuprCilver
Driver School Candidate

Most people don't even know what handling good means. Often the case is for an average street driver, good tires, good allignment, will determine good handling or not. Whoever says the SC handles like crap is an idiot IMO and has never taken the car to its peak potential to know whether it handles good or not.

I track my SC, and i could tell you that the SC handles really well. Weather conditions, tire choice, and allignment again is the true determination to whether it will handle good at that moment.

I did about 40 laps around streets of willow Friday. I have 285/35 Hankook RS3's. First lap I spun out. I didn't blame the car, I blamed myself for not allowing the tires to heat up and taking a turn way too aggressively with a semi-wet frozen track. After the 5th lap, i didn't lose it one bit. I was able to come into turns alot faster, go through the bowl faster and more consistent, and take the shikane at 90+MPH.

If you're a hella flush kind of guy, with mad camber... The problem isn't the car, the problem is the choice of stance you chose. In the realm of performance, you will sacrifice comfort, and in the realm of comfort and stance, you will sacrifice performance.

One honest thing that the SC does lack is braking performance. I experience major braking issues when at the track with the stock brakes. They are unpredictable especially when late braking.

Last edited by SuprCilver; 12-23-10 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Why put down the handling?