SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Differential bushing options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 01:34 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Differential bushing options?

I finally got to the point where I feel my car is road worthy, last night.
well, I was kind of wrong, feels like i still need control arm bushings.
NOT the concern for this thread, though...

my concern is, I was walking around, looking at a few things, and noticed the car rocks back and forth quite a bit more than I thought it would. somehow I wound up underneath the car, and while rocking it, I noticed the bushings for the differential mount ears are flexing almost 3/8ths of an inch (max flex up to max flex down)... way more than I think (I know) they should.
looking around, I am only able to find solid diff bushings. they are a big chunk of change, though. are there any cheaper replacement options, such a poly bushing?
Old 12-14-10, 02:23 PM
FUZION
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at superpoly.....im in the same boat as you right now....
Old 12-14-10, 05:55 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

what do you mean by superpoly? all I could really find by googling it was a fabric?
(you're not talking about window weld, are you?)
Old 12-14-10, 06:05 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

so the diff is moving around in the rear subframe? or is it moving WITH the subframe?

afaik the solid bushing is your only option. i know Toyota does not sell the factory bushings.
Old 12-14-10, 06:22 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

yes, INSIDE the subframe. subframe it's self seems relatively solid (i don't see it moving, with a simple rock of the car).
and that's what I was afraid of... one would think a cheaper alternative would be available. something to replace just the aged, crap bushings with something new and fresh...
Old 12-20-10, 05:50 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

alright, before I blow a massive load of cash, I am gonna pull the newbie card, and ask to make sure this will fit. $576.19 is quite alot, and don't wanna waste my money or time on something, unless it will work.

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...ubFolderID=801
Old 12-20-10, 06:06 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

if I were you I would pull the subframe out of the car before I bought anything. If your going to buy the whole kit you'll have to drop it anyway. if you drop it first you can confirm that bushings are indeed the problem and you may only need certain ones which could save you some $$$.

if you go with the full solid bushing kit you will most likely notice a lot more noise coming from the rear. also, you will have to have the rear diff bushings welded in place. but if you go full solid you'll never have to worry about it again
Old 12-20-10, 06:19 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 93MSB
if I were you I would pull the subframe out of the car before I bought anything. If your going to buy the whole kit you'll have to drop it anyway. if you drop it first you can confirm that bushings are indeed the problem and you may only need certain ones which could save you some $$$.

if you go with the full solid bushing kit you will most likely notice a lot more noise coming from the rear. also, you will have to have the rear diff bushings welded in place. but if you go full solid you'll never have to worry about it again
I know for a fact that the diff ear bushings are shot. I can easily speculate that the subframe bushings are not too hot, either.
I know about the noise, and am not concerned about it.
I know I could save some green by going by the bushings I do need, but I figure I will be replacing the diff busings, and the control arm bushings, I may as well make sure the subframe bushings are taken care of, as well. It may be more work, but I can get that for free (as much time as I have spent on my brother's car, he owes me). only thing I will have to do is find when my welder-guy has some time to set the back ones in place
Old 12-20-10, 06:22 PM
Cleet
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just fyi Driftmotion is selling battle version solid subframe mounts for like $185 I think if those are what you end up needing. Just a throwing a cheaper possible option out there for ya.