SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Watch your tire pressures

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-10, 03:30 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Watch your tire pressures

Cold tire pressure and warm tire pressure can change pretty dramatically when you run low profile tires. Today my 40 series separated from the alloy wheel, went flat, and I had to get it re-bead locked to keep it from leaking.

It's very common for alloy wheels to release their bead in cold weather so make sure your tire pressures are correct this winter because if you have a weak bead and pop it while driving hard in a corner it can be dangerous. Even if it is sitting still you can wake up to a flat tire and be late to work or school. (I woke up to a flat today).

So for safety and to keep from being late to where you need to be, watch those tire pressures and be weary of the bead on alloy wheels in cold weather.
Old 12-17-10, 03:33 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good info. Do you use nitrogen to fill with, or plain ol breathin type air? I THINK nitrogen wont do what you just said, but I could be mistaken.
Old 12-17-10, 03:35 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Unless it's a new car I think most everyone uses air fill the older style tires.
Old 12-17-10, 03:39 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I run nitrogen in my stuff, but only because the place where I get tires fills with it.
Old 12-17-10, 07:04 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I fill mine with helium for less unsprung weight
Old 12-17-10, 07:05 PM
VinnyMac
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reminder!
Old 12-17-10, 07:40 PM
ucmysc400
Pole Position

i check mine every week. THANKS!
Old 12-19-10, 08:10 AM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i lightly bumped my aftermarket rims on curb, it looks perfectly fine no bent rim but every 3 days now my tire will get flat. its hard to tell when it low and flat cuz there stretched low profiles so they run like runflats and can barley even notice driving with a flat. my question is how do you lock the bead? i myself removed the tire and reseated the bead w compressed air, but are you talking about a type of glue sealant type RTV?
Old 12-19-10, 08:21 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by topdog849
i lightly bumped my aftermarket rims on curb, it looks perfectly fine no bent rim but every 3 days now my tire will get flat. its hard to tell when it low and flat cuz there stretched low profiles so they run like runflats and can barley even notice driving with a flat. my question is how do you lock the bead? i myself removed the tire and reseated the bead w compressed air, but are you talking about a type of glue sealant type RTV?
Any type of sealant or glue is just a temporary fix. If your bead is damaged (which it sounds like to me) then it will keep leaking from the side wall. If tire pressure gets too low then the tire will explode causing harm to others on the road and yourself. Please purchase a new tire
Old 12-19-10, 08:25 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

I would just break the bead and clean it out. Chances are you have a bit of gravel or concrete in the sealing surface.
Old 12-19-10, 05:29 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I would also check to see if there is air in the spare tire as well. When I bought my SC, the spare tire only had 10psi in it. It would be no fun to get a flat and realize that your spare tire is flat.
Old 12-19-10, 05:57 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

... my question is how do you lock the bead?

It's actually pretty simple; just use the correct sized tire for the rim

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
I would just break the bead and clean it out. Chances are you have a bit of gravel or concrete in the sealing surface.
One of the other causes can be oxidation of the alloy in the rims. Some rims can slowly "corrode" away from underneath the tire bead causing continual leaking.

btw, I know you were joking, but light as it may be, helium would rapidly leak out of most any tire. It's the ideal gas for leak detection because it slips out of anything not designed for tiny molecules.
Old 12-19-10, 07:51 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Luxor has a great point. If you are going to run a problem tire, a good spare is extra important. I used my spare probably 5+ times over the summer due to tire leaks. "FAIL"ken 452's will bubble or leak and pretty much suck! Now I'm stuck with six of them that are a complete waste of money. Make sure the load weight can handle our curb weight too. Running a 215 tire on a 9"-10" wheel in the front with our curb weight can possibly be an issue.
Old 12-20-10, 04:10 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tabaka
"FAIL"ken 452's will bubble or leak and pretty much suck! Now I'm stuck with six of them that are a complete waste of money.
Where do they "Bubble"? I have never seen this on mine, maybe I have been lucky.
Old 12-20-10, 07:59 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Where do they "Bubble"? I have never seen this on mine, maybe I have been lucky.
Sidewall. I have two of them doing it right now on my EVO's that are put away for the winter. POS.........

Quick Reply: Watch your tire pressures