SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cost for installing rotors, pads, caliper

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-02, 10:34 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cost for installing rotors, pads, caliper

I have bought all the parts for brake system such as pads, shims, hardwares, rotors, and one rear caliper. I need to have them installed, but the brake shop I went to was asking for 300 dollars to have these installed. I don't know if this is a good price or a bad price. I think, with that money I could even go to the Lexus dealer and have everything done.
Any suggestion on the price?
Old 08-06-02, 11:27 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I got my rotors installed with pads for $40. So i'd say, you should pay no more than $80 for everything installed.

Tony

Last edited by ACleanSC4; 08-06-02 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-06-02, 11:42 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Damn....
Now I have to think of how to play smart with this shop owner....

I hate living in Ann Arbor, Michigan... Not a single good honest bodyshop or brakeshop within the radius of 100 miles.
Old 08-06-02, 02:02 PM
Silver00Spike
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try to do it on our own. Watch the shop guy do it first, then see if you can do it yourself.
Old 08-06-02, 03:58 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

DIY - costs a lot of sweat on a hot day. Maybe a little blood. If you shed tears, then you should have paid the mechanic. This is the next job I'm taking on. There is an instructional how to on this forum. Just place stock rotors/calipers anywhere you see supra tt.

Last edited by awj; 08-06-02 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-07-02, 04:27 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For the Love of God; a 6 year old could install these things. Do it yourself - will take about an hour per set if you have never done it before. That $300 will buy a lot of beer afterwards; infact, that $300 should have paid for all the parts your having replaced.

Seriously, the hardest part is getting the car jacked up and the wheels off. If your comfortable with that, then you can remove the 2 bolts that hold on the caliper on and swap everything out. The pads just slip right on in, the rotors will just about fall off and bust your toe unless you live near some salt water, then they need to be taped off. To replace the caliper, its a little technical and requires 2 people to bleed the system, but isn't difficult by any means.

Man, you'd be amazed at how much money you can save by doing it yourself. Have a little confidence.

Keith
Old 08-07-02, 06:10 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Keith13b
For the Love of God; a 6 year old could install these things. Do it yourself - will take about an hour per set if you have never done it before. That $300 will buy a lot of beer afterwards; infact, that $300 should have paid for all the parts your having replaced.

Seriously, the hardest part is getting the car jacked up and the wheels off. If your comfortable with that, then you can remove the 2 bolts that hold on the caliper on and swap everything out. The pads just slip right on in, the rotors will just about fall off and bust your toe unless you live near some salt water, then they need to be taped off. To replace the caliper, its a little technical and requires 2 people to bleed the system, but isn't difficult by any means.

Man, you'd be amazed at how much money you can save by doing it yourself. Have a little confidence.

Keith
Just make sure you keep everything clean, no grease on the pads surface. Buy a can of brake cleaner and remember to clean and regrease (hi-temerature) the sliding-pins.
Old 08-07-02, 07:52 AM
Silver00Spike
Pole Position

Those 2 bolts you hve to remove around the brake pads willl make you bleed like a pig!!! YOur hands wil slip off the bottom one and you will punch the concrete because your wrench will slip!. God it feels good. Then you leave your car up on the jack to find a replacement bolt because you shaved off the bottom bolt. YOu will visit all the places that should have it, but they wont. I visited 4 + a dealership. One will give you a bolt, but it wont fit. You come back to your car to find the alipers too close together to actually put on your new pads. This is because u were looking for a replacement bolt. YOu will then put the shaved bolt back on and yourre done! Thats how my first time went. Any other stories?
Old 08-08-02, 06:27 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

This is unbelievable....
I've been searching through the entire South Eastern Michigan, but couldn't find a single shop which would install my rotors, pads, and calipers. They say they don't install parts that the customers bring in.
And I've talked to the guy who offered me 300 dollars for installing these parts, and he says that's the final price.

As some of you suggested, I wish I could do it myself. But I don't have the tools, the space, or anybody with technical advice around me.

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A BODYSHOP OR TIRESHOP THAT WOULD DO THIS FOR ME....NEAR ANN ARBOR, MI?
Old 08-08-02, 06:44 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Chrono.

What's up buddy? I just moved to Knoxville, TN and my family is back up in Michigan. I just got off the phone with my bro and he said he can help you out. He was a Volvo mechanic and taking classes to become a ASE Master Mechanic. Anyways, he will do the work for $60 as long as you don't mind driving to Auburn Hills. Let me know if you want his or my number and he can hook ya up! Just trying to help a fellow SC brother.

Johnny
Old 08-08-02, 07:56 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Johnny,
Thank you so much for your care.
I would pay him twice as much if he were a bit nearer to where I am. The thing is, I have a caliper locked on to my right rear rotor. So I can't be dragging my car around for more than 10 minutes. If I do... My right rear wheel...which is silver... would turn black due to the brake dust.
I did run a search on where your brother is and found out it's about an hour and half of driving from Ann Arbor. I am worried that my brake would completely fail during that time.
Again, thank you for your help. I am feeling much better now that I know that there is SOMEBODY who cares.
Old 08-09-02, 05:09 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, no problem man, I have been in your position before! I will talk to him again today anyways and see if he maybe knows of some mechanic buddies of his that do work out of there home or something! I also know of a few rotary shops in A2 that do alot of light repair work, let me dig up some numbers, make a few calls and see if we can get something to work out for you!

Johnny