SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Identifying a GTE BLOCK

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-10, 07:30 PM
acklac7
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identifying a GTE BLOCK

Ok so I got a rust-free '92 SC300 for dirt cheep a few months back. Previous owner said that the owner before him had threw in a JDM GTE block, but put the GE heads back on (I guess he wanted to run the full GTE package but ran out of $$$). Done a ton of research and have found varying opinions in regards to the differences between the two blocks (GE and GTE). Most everything i've found says the only differences (in the BLOCK) is the oil-spray bars. Thoughts? I'd like to know for sure what im dealing with before I start my Turbo project.

And yea, the serial/vin number was Grinded off the block (probably stolen) so that identification route is out of the question.
Old 12-19-10, 08:13 PM
WICKED 1
Pole Position

Oil squirters and 2 oil feeds on passenger side for twin turbo feeds
Old 12-19-10, 09:52 PM
acklac7
Rookie

Default thanks

where are the feeds located? I assume they would have to be somehow plugged as there are no turbos on the car, correct?
Old 12-20-10, 08:10 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you can start your turbo project either way, the ge block will hold up to boost levels similarly to the gte if the compression was lowered.

the real question here, is what headgasket did he use. if he didn't use a TT headgasket you will be taking the head back off most likely unless you are looking for a high compression setup.
Old 12-20-10, 09:33 AM
d1trainee
Pole Position

Upper oil pan passenger side (aluminum color) between block and black lower pan. There is a bump out. Should have a half inch round hole with 2 bolt holes next to it to be a gte. If ge it will have the stamp marks but no hole. The ge BLOCK will hold slot of boost like a gte. The gte PISTONS and RODS will be the money maker. Gte has better oil squirters but dosent really matter.
Old 12-20-10, 01:36 PM
staticpage
Driver School Candidate

feed lines are (left blue block-off) and (right SS line)

Old 12-20-10, 03:53 PM
acklac7
Rookie

Default kickass

Now the question as to if the pistons/rods are GTE or GE. I would tend to think they are GTE, I mean who just buys the block? (especially if it's "hot"). Say I tear it down, is there anyway I could visually distinguish the rods/pistons? Also the previous owner said something about the heads being resurfaced along with new gaskets. Any way I could visually identify aftermarket low-compression gaskets from the stock GE gaskets? (without taking the head off)

thnx guys

Last edited by acklac7; 12-20-10 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-20-10, 06:24 PM
MrDGAF
Driver School Candidate

To check/confirm headgasket type, the head must be removed.....or x-ray glasses
Old 12-20-10, 07:26 PM
acklac7
Rookie

Originally Posted by MrDGAF
To check/confirm headgasket type, the head must be removed.....or x-ray glasses
yea thought so, thanks.
Old 12-20-10, 08:11 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Although it's not conclusive, you could always do a compression test and see if all your cylinders are proportionately lower; implying the thicker head gasket and/or TT pistons. It would be unlikely that all 6 cylinders would be uniformly lower if it were just due to normal engine wear that occurs over time.

$.02
Old 12-21-10, 07:40 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

the GTE pistons are more dished than the ge pistons are, so yes if you pulled the head off you would be able to tell. If you have the gte block your compression is slightly lowered even with a ge gasket but not much, if it has a gte gasket you will be at gte compression. The rods and pistons in the GE are made of the same metal as the GTE, i wouldn't be worried about having GE rods or pistons.

I think compression test here is the easy way out. if the numbers are uniformly low, then you are good to go. if they are almost as high as the GE, you can still boost it but you need better engine management with limited boost, or meth injection, or install a TT headgasket.
Old 12-21-10, 09:29 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Ali, IIRC, the top compression numbers for a GTE are 160lbs. with normal numbers around 150. For the GE, it's more like 200 tops, with normal numbers around 190. But I thought the majority of the drop between GTE and GE was MOSTLY due to the pistons, and THEN the HG, but to a lesser degree. Is that not true?
Old 12-21-10, 10:36 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I think the headgasket is responsible for most of the drop in compression.
Old 12-21-10, 10:41 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by acklac7

Now the question as to if the pistons/rods are GTE or GE. I would tend to think they are GTE, I mean who just buys the block? (especially if it's "hot"). Say I tear it down, is there anyway I could visually distinguish the rods/pistons? Also the previous owner said something about the heads being resurfaced along with new gaskets. Any way I could visually identify aftermarket low-compression gaskets from the stock GE gaskets? (without taking the head off)

thnx guys

sorry bud, thats the coolant drain plug.. not an oil feed

from the coolant drain plug look about one inch forward on the block and about 2 inchs down, there should be either an oil feed plug or just a "stamp" on the block where the oil feed should be.

heres my 1jz showing the coolant drain and oil feed

look for the front oil feed, its easier to identify

Last edited by 93MSB; 12-21-10 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-21-10, 01:53 PM
acklac7
Rookie

Default Failboat

No GTE for me . On the brightside it does look like the engine has been rebuilt as there are numerous chalk "signatures" on the block. Looks like it's NA-T time.

Originally Posted by 93MSB
sorry bud, thats the coolant drain plug.. not an oil feed

from the coolant drain plug look about one inch forward on the block and about 2 inchs down, there should be either an oil feed plug or just a "stamp" on the block where the oil feed should be.

heres my 1jz showing the coolant drain and oil feed

look for the front oil feed, its easier to identify

Quick Reply: Identifying a GTE BLOCK