SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

two tone color sc?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-02, 03:52 AM
neo_tran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two tone color sc?

My '92 SC300 has different color paint for the front/rear bumpers and side view mirrors. Is this normal? I've tried looking at other sc's and it seems like there's only one color. Didn't really look that hard because I didn't want to look like an idiot when the owner walks out.

My car is blue. The front/rear bumpers and side mirrors are darker blue but blends right in when sunlight hits it. I'm getting my car painted on the front and back. Hopefully they will paint it with the same color else it will look ugly since the side mirrors are a little darker.
Old 08-07-02, 09:26 AM
SC400onDubs
Rookie

Never seen a two tone SC. Saw plenty on ES,GS,LS though. Perhaps it was hit before, or repainted. I could be wrong.
Old 08-07-02, 09:52 AM
silvermullet
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What up..

My thoughts are that the bumpers have probably been repainted at some time... if its a 93.. the rest of car paint is probably originally but faded a little from sun damage and such... but my experience has been that the urethane is tough to match exactly especially if the paint is older on the rest of the car. I have paint code 182.. which is a metallic gray/silver... I had my front end painted because of a paint crack (someone backed into me while parallel parking)... it matches pretty close but on some overcast days I can see the difference... my SC is a '94... paint is still in pretty good condition, but it really is common sense... bumpers are 2002 paint... rest of the car is 1994 paint. and the metallic colors are a *****...

Laters...
Old 08-07-02, 12:14 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Older-newer paint shouldn't be an issue. The body shop should blend the paint over, not just paint part for part.
Old 08-07-02, 12:26 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Body shops see several people who want to freshen up the look of their cars. Many times the bumpers and the mirrors are painted off the car because they snap off so fast. Maybe the person you bought the car from had rock chips on the bumpers and mirrors and had them painted.
Old 08-07-02, 02:51 PM
neo_tran
Driver School Candidate

Damn, I was hoping that it's normal. The guy that i bought it from seems honest so i don't think it was repainted. I see some touch up paint on the front bumper so I believed that the paint is original. Guess not!
Old 08-07-02, 03:13 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

highly doubt it's original paint.
was the previous owner the ORIGINAL owner?

personally, I wouldn't buy an used car with front and rear painted bumpers.
I'm just that picky. As I fear that they have been in an accident before. Sure, it's common, but like I said, I'm picky
Old 08-07-02, 04:23 PM
Sc400on20s
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a '92 sc and I also thought that it was repainted or just faded or maybe that urethane is hard to match but my friend just bought a brand new '00 or '01 (can't remember what year) SC in pearl white and his bumpers and lower kit is slightly off color, so I figured that it was a urethane problem.
Old 08-07-02, 06:22 PM
strongsail
Instructor

I'm pretty sure my '93 has original paint everywhere, mostly in very good shape, but I can see a difference in tint and gloss in the bumpers, mirrors and even the gas door in certain light. I think the mirrors and gas door are actually molded from color-matched plastic, and the Toyota oem paint on the plastic bumpers may be a different formulation than the paint on the steel body panels because of adhesion, different primers, etc. Everything matched when the car was new, but sunlight has taken its toll and now the different products are slightly different colors. I don't think it's surface oxidation so compounding won't help - UV is pretty powerful, the only solution on a 10-year-old car may be to paint everything - - personally, I will live with it, since getting a paint job that would match the oem application quality would be $$$ - - "looks great from 10 feet away"
Old 08-08-02, 02:11 AM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

I haven't seen it before, when I was shopping for my car a car dealership said they had a 2 tone white sc from eastern canada, I never did see it because I live in Victoria and the car was in Vancouver, but he said several times it is two tone, I was like WTF.
Old 08-09-02, 09:38 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

isn't paint oxidation and color fading is a sign of bad quality?

should Lexus have done a better job here?

of course, i'm sure products like Zaino would've solved this problem and kept the paint like new
Old 08-09-02, 09:48 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

"isn't paint oxidation and color fading is a sign of bad quality?"

No...that is a sign of neglect.

I just ordered up some more Zaino for the car.

MW
Old 08-09-02, 11:55 AM
silvermullet
Rookie

If anyone else their two cents... thats cool, but here is mine...

Oxidation and down right fading of paint does mean NEGLECT... that means you haven't been polishing, cleaning and waxing your car properly. The type of detergent you use is key also... if youre using harsh chemical based cleaners.. you will strip your clearcoat and eventually your paint. When I bought my SC in '97 (its a '94) the previous owner was an idiot... my paint is still is real good condition but its not perfect, so I baby it to keep it in good condition.

What i mean in my previous post was the paint does fade with time... some may say it shouldn't but I disagree... paint that is 5 years old cannot be the same as paint that is fresh or even 1 years old... the elements make sure of that. Sun damage, hard water, acid rain all contribute to slight discolorations over time. Its just a fact of life, no matter how much you take care of it.

Urethane takes paint differently than metal does... now assuming that the body shop mixes the paint perfectly... and puts just enough coats and even blends it to the body, you MAY get an exact match... but lets keep it real... they take the bumpers, or any exterior accessories off and paint it off the car. then they stick it back on. most of the time they will put extra coats of paint on the part for durability and to keep it from chipping easily... in my experience this also contributes to a slight mismatch from the rest of the car, usually makes it darker.

Sorry for the long post, but i truly believe you should know whats up, why its up... it makes for a better do-it-yourselfer

Peace.
Old 08-09-02, 01:29 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

My driver door was repainted as well as the driver door mirror. The body shop blended all of it into the body and I can't tell where the new paint starts or ends. The new paint felt a lot smoother than other parts of the car until I waxed it. I now wax my car every month to maintain it's beautiful shine. Nothing beats the slick, oily feel of a freshly waxed car, nothing...
Old 08-09-02, 02:25 PM
silvermullet
Rookie

Tru...

but.. Im not saying that paint color cannot be matched... obviously some colors are more easily matched then others... solid colors are easier to match than metallic colors, for 'important' body parts (fenders, doors, hood, etc) they do blend the color... because they have too... for continuity's sake...

Please keep in mind that we are talking about minimal mismatching... where in some lights it looks mismatched, in other lights it doesn't...

If its obviously mismatched no matter what kind of light youre in, then its just a $h1tty paint job. But rarely will they blend the car for a bumper or side mirror. A smart body shop probably wouldn't paint over something that doesn't need to be...

Peace