SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Auto tranny issues... i know i know..

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-10, 05:20 PM
EpikSc400
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Auto tranny issues... i know i know..

I've been searching all day about this while at work but i've been on my phone so yeah..kinda slow. I'd do more now but it's my DD and I really need to get her fixed so i'm going straight out to work on it. Just wanted to get some ideas on what to check for later. First things first, car info.

93 sc400 auto. Bone Stock 1uz
270xxx miles on car
130xxx miles on motor
not sure if it is original tranny or if it came with the other motor

Also, this is my first Automatic car ever, all i've ever owned were standards, but I wanted a dd that I could just cruise in, especially with Houston traffic. That and if I get too drunk my girl can drive me home, lol.

So here is the issue, the past couple of days when I went to leave and put my car in R/D (reverse/drive) it would start bogging down and almost die, sounded like a low toned grinding noise as well. If i didn't give it gas it would stall out, but if I gave it gas it would struggle for a second then finally go like normal. Once it got going it would shift perfectly fine between gears and when I came to a stop I could put it in R/D and it would idle like normal. Now when I start the car it idles perfectly fine while in P/N (park/neutral) it is only when I would shift down to R/D that it would act up, but keep in mind, this was only on the initial start up, once it got going it would shift fine.

Well this morning I go to leave for work and I can't get it to go at all. It starts up and idles perfect in P/N but as soon as it hits R/D it stalls out. I can't even give it gas to get going anymore. It just jumps forward (or backward if in R) and that's it, dies. But it will start right back up just fine. Just no go.

I have read a few things:

- Neutral safety switch? However, I have heard that won't actually make the car stall out, just shift hard.
-Some loose metal could be locking something up? I am going to drop the pan now but i'm not quite sure what to look for.
-Bad or no tranny fluid? The reservoir is full but i cant really see any markings on the dipstick to tell me where it is at.
-Something could be clogged? A line i'm assuming I just dunno where to look or how to test it.
-Bad torque converter? This was my initial thought until I did some researching
-Bad tranny? Could be but i'd like to check the other things first since it is cheaper.

Any tips/advice would be GREAT. I'm sure there are tons of people that have had this issue with their SC and I've seen many threads on here about it. Just wanted to see if I could get some responses here that I could check up on while im working on my car. Also I don't have a FSM for the car, was wondering if it was available for download anywhere or if I have to buy it?

Thanks in advance for any help, would definitely love to keep the car!
Old 12-29-10, 05:49 PM
FlyRyde
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm definitely in need of the same help. Granted I'm just looking for a newer tranny (245xxx on mine).
Old 12-29-10, 05:53 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

techinfo.toyota.com This is the place i use, & its factory manuel's. Sounds like something is clogged up to me too. You do know you have to check the tranny fluid while its running right. Also there should be 2 notches in the dipstick to show the low & full level. The filter in these tranny's is not really a filter, it just a metal screen. If its all clogged up then thats probably your problem & your tranny pump might be toasted to. These trannys are pretty easy to find & cheep too. So might be easier to just swap in a used tranny. Let us know what you find when you drop the pan.
Old 12-29-10, 06:42 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I got one for sale, pm me if interested.
Old 12-29-10, 07:09 PM
EpikSc400
Driver

Yeah I checked the fluid while it was running and it is topped off, however when I check the dipstick it and run my finger on it, it doesn't seem like there is much on there. I'm just guessing a clog. Yeah i've seen the motors go for dirt cheap so im assuming the tranny is probably close to nothing and I can swap it out myself no problem.
Went to drop the pan but my damn jack broke so im going to do it tomorrow when my friend brings his over. Thanks for the site, I am definitely going to check it out.
Old 12-29-10, 07:53 PM
313sc3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trannys are cheap. If you can't find a sc400 pickup a ls400 tranny. Don't forget to swap the speed sensor.
Old 12-30-10, 09:58 AM
EpikSc400
Driver

Originally Posted by 313sc3
Trannys are cheap. If you can't find a sc400 pickup a ls400 tranny. Don't forget to swap the speed sensor.
Yeah im probably just going to do that. I pmed the guy above about his. Will probably gothat route if cleaning the screen and flushing the fluid doesn't work.

Thanks for the advice!