SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Anyone have the resources for a Brembo 13.5" group buy???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-02, 09:40 AM
Italianfireman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have the resources for a Brembo 13.5" group buy???

I have been searching the web for the best front big brake upgrade for the money and it seems as though the Brembo 13.5" are the best deal. The cheapest I have seen them for is about 2600.00 though. Anyone have access to wholesale them out or the resources to put together a group buy? If so please post a thread. I saw these up close on a tricked out GS400 and they were beautiful! Thanks everyone in advance for your help. Hello all you Midwest Lexus owners from Green Bay, WI.
Old 08-08-02, 11:08 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I think $2600 is a lot of money for most people to spend here on the forums. Also I doubt most people will even do the right driving to even use these brakes to their potential.

Supra TT big brake group buys would be a better option.

Doing big brakes is a problem for most people because they'd have to buy bigger rims to clear the new rotors/calipers.

So, I think it's better off to buy these things without a group buy.
Old 08-08-02, 11:48 AM
Italianfireman
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate your opinion. You are correct in stating that most people would not use these brakes to their potential. I currently have Bradi cross drilled and slotted rotors(front and rear) with EBC Greenstuff pads, Goodridge stainless lines and Motul fluid and they do work very nicely, but with my 18x8 and 18x9 wheels the fronts just look so small. Are the Supra calipers and rotors really that much bigger? I guess I'm not sure where to go from here, but if anyone can put together a hell of a deal on the Brembo's please do so. Anyone else with ideas please post some replies. Thanks!
Old 08-08-02, 12:08 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

I think Steve Ganz sells Brembo. But as mentioned before, I doubt that you'll find enough people for a group buy.
Old 08-08-02, 12:19 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were you, wait a few weeks. Scott (T51R) is working w/ the people at Wilwood and is making Wilwood brakes that will fit both the Supra TT rotors AND the stock SC rotors. The benefits of these brakes over the Supra TT brakes is weight and a lil performance diff. The Wilwood brakes r extremly lighter than the stock TT brakes and provide better breaking performance. Scott doesn't have everything ready quite yet to start the group buy, but is basically done w/ the SC setup (i will take my GS next week so he can get those to fit the stock GS rotors). I'll let u know as more progress is made.
Old 08-08-02, 12:44 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Uhhhmmm ... at the risk of sounding dumb ... are you saying that there will be calipers that fit both the SC and the TT stock rotors?

Any other details that you can share, like # of pistons, estimate on price etc.?
Old 08-08-02, 01:01 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Brembo does not make any fitments for our cars...

Supra TT rotors are 12.6" in diameter, which is a nice improvement from our stock size. Price of this upgrade is about 1/3 of your Brembo big brake upgrade.

If you guys want to do this upgrade, I can get all the required parts no problem. If one of the moderators want to go over this with me, we can set up a group buy for Supra TT big brake upgrade.
Old 08-08-02, 01:54 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

acctis.....yes. Scott is working w/ Wilwood to make calipers that will fir both the TT rotors AND the stock rotors. The purpose for this is so for those that don't quite have the cash to upgrade the rotors, they can still upgrade the calipers. I would definatly reco. upgrading to TT rotors b/c their size doesn't compare at all to our stock rotors. I ahven't gotten all the details from scott (t51r) yet, so i don't want to share any wrong info at this point. I believe that they are same specs (pistons, etc.) as the stock TT calipers, except that they weigh almost nothing (while the TT calipers r heavy (in comparison to the Wilwood). The Wilwood calipers i saw were black w/ WILWOOD written on the side of them in silver. Please lemme talk things over a lil more w/ scott befor ei get to detailed, as he is the one who is taking on this project (im just getting the word out). I'll keep everyone updated.
Originally posted by Acctis
Uhhhmmm ... at the risk of sounding dumb ... are you saying that there will be calipers that fit both the SC and the TT stock rotors?

Any other details that you can share, like # of pistons, estimate on price etc.?
Old 08-08-02, 02:08 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Wow, that sounds very interesting! Please keep us posted ...
Old 08-08-02, 04:34 PM
gavin
Driver

Default I am in!

I am in for the Supra TT front big brake upgrade. I was just about to buy these on my own, when I came accross this thread. If you are gonna do this within the next 14 days, please count me in!
Old 08-08-02, 07:51 PM
Lexgendboi
Driver

Me too, I am in.
Old 08-08-02, 08:01 PM
Italianfireman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for all your responses to my thread. I hope this goes through with either the Wildwood upgrade or the Supra TT upgrade. Either way, count me in! Thanks again. I am always amazed at the integrity and honesty of ClubLexus members along with all the know-how out there.