SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Painting the interior! good or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 10:36 PM
shawnlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just my two cents, i have never seen a painted interior hold up longer than a year. Every man to his own. If you are going to move forward with it make sure that you "OCD" prep the car, that is the one thing that will affect the longevity.
Old 01-05-11, 05:39 AM
lex1220
Driver

wow im loving the feedback here. Alright I am keeping the tan until it gets work out or money for an int. swap comes up. Any other suggestions on how to spice things up a bit with the tan int? Woodgrain wheel idea sounds good.
Old 01-05-11, 10:50 AM
ShibbySC4
Rookie

I was actually discussing this thread with a buddy of mine that works for an aftermarket shop. He was telling me that the SEM dye that PRS22 was talking about is really good stuff. So I will take back what I said to some degree. But painting and using a dye are slightly different and maybe it's my own misinterpretation, but when I hear paint I think of someone buying a rattle can and going at it. Which does tend to look like crap.

The two tone idea is a very good one as well. Kinda using the idea that less is more. A lot of small subtle changes can make a huge difference. An example is one of the other members here took all his woodgrain and stained it or did a dark clear on it to make it look almost black, but still retained the woodgrain pattern. I can't remember which thread it was in, but I'm sure someone else knows what I'm talking about and can post a pic.
Old 01-05-11, 02:11 PM
lex1220
Driver

Ive seen several things done to the wood. I think im going to just scuff it and paint it black and clear it when I get bored at work. Other than that im just going to keep open to more ideas for the tan look.
Old 01-05-11, 03:14 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have used SEM on all of the lower panels, upper window trim, and ALL of the leather. It has been on there over a year now, and I must say that its still looks good. I need to respray a very places where the leather has creased a little from me gettin in and out of the car. Keep in mind this my daily driver, so I think this SEM products are the bomb. I would still use SEM if I could redo everything again. Just my .02.

The most important is the prep work and using the correct prepping sanding paper and cleaners.
Old 01-05-11, 03:40 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also wanted to throw in here that auto upholstery shops and the guys who do interior work for the dealerships all use SEM products to touch up any interior problems so just keep that in mind. If prepped correctly SEM is the best product for dying interior pieces IMO.

lex1220: What part of Florida do you live? If your in Orlando I can meet up with you one of these days and show you my interior so you can have an idea on what it looks like in our cars.

Also if you do decide to just stick with the tan interior definitely get at the least a 3 spoke steering wheel, or if you can swing it a woodgrain 3 spoke wheel, and doing the gated shifter mod from a 98+ SC would do wonders for the interior.
Old 01-05-11, 04:18 PM
lex1220
Driver

I live near Clearwater but I go to some shows over that way. Umm we should meet up at one of the Tampa meets one week.
Old 01-05-11, 09:03 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lex1220
I live near Clearwater but I go to some shows over that way. Umm we should meet up at one of the Tampa meets one week.
Definitely Check in the florida section here on CL and we are actually talking about having a big Lexus meet with the south florida crew for a few days (feb.11-13) over by busch gardens. I will be at that event so hopefully you will be able to make it out.
Old 01-05-11, 10:57 PM
97RSPSCTT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gunyvw
no problem they say SEM is the way to go... google it
toyota landau black is one of the popular colors... that's what i have in hand
try streamlining your search with

sc400/300
search this forum
find posts

or go advance search to get more specific results sometimes the search is so vague its useless ...
+1 on that one.
Old 01-06-11, 02:50 AM
lex1220
Driver

Alright ill look into the meet. I live really close to bg so thats not bad. I was at this past ultra show in tampa and I seen one sc I thought there would be more, on a good note a lex won best in show haha.
Old 01-06-11, 05:09 AM
SexyLexy
Rookie

Default Interior Dye

I had my interior partially converted to black so now I have a grey/black combo. Alot of pieces I had wrapped in black... the seat backs, seat bases, pieces of the door panel, etc. The plastic pieces around my seat belts had to be dyed and you can see from the pic I posted the dye did not hold up, I was seeing the wear and tear after only a few days so I bought those pieces from Lexus in black.

If you really want to convert everything to black somebody has almost an entire black interior on ebay right now; dash, trim pieces, seats, etc. When you do your search type in SC300 black. Alpine Auto has a bunch, and Magic Auto Parts is in the Clearwater/Tampa area.
Attached Thumbnails Painting the interior! good or bad idea?-100_3320.jpg  
Old 01-06-11, 01:33 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lex1220
Alright ill look into the meet. I live really close to bg so thats not bad. I was at this past ultra show in tampa and I seen one sc I thought there would be more, on a good note a lex won best in show haha.
Believe me you will want to go to this meet. Most of the best SC's in the state are going to be there and its great to see the actual cars in person to truly appreciate the work put into them rather than some pictures online. Almost all the big events are in miami so its hard to always go to those when it's so far away.

I was at the last ultra show at peabody's before this one that just passed. Alot of us could not make this one but I'm sure next time there will be more Lexus guys to represent.
Old 01-06-11, 02:23 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

i painted my whole interior black and it held up fine. I used about 11 cans of SEM Landau black, just make sure you clean all the pieces and let the paint cure for at least 3-4 days before you begin installation.

Would i do it again: yes

I hated the tan. But if you can find a full black interior for sale of course that is the better option, but it's getting harder and harder considering everyone wants to buy it.
Old 01-06-11, 05:46 PM
lex1220
Driver

Yeah it rained at Ultra this year. I didnt bring my SC I rode with my friend Tyler in his Nissan. I did however bring my other crown jewel! 36inch 3 hose hookah = Hours of car meet entertainment!!!! Yeah Miami is a bit far for dedication to car meets/shows. I wish more things would happen religiously in Tampa. I haven't been taking it to meets lately I feel its not ready or worthy of being shown for some reason. Its a beautiful car but its just me.
Old 01-07-11, 08:23 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best Thread ever for interior restoration.... I am following this and plan to do this.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...nting+interior

Quick Reply: Painting the interior! good or bad idea?