SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Front License Plates - threat or menace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-02, 10:45 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Front License Plates - threat or menace?

Our UK friend London Bill posted a pic of some Soarers with HUGE front license plates.

Here in California, the law says you must have both front and rear license plates, but many of us don't bother with the front. Technically, you are violating the law and the police can use that as an excuse to stop you. And if they stop you for any other reason, they usually give you a ticket for a missing front plate as well.

It has gotten worse recently, due to those red-light cameras that take a pic of the front of your car if you run the light. In cities that use them, the parking meter maids are now empowered to ticket your PARKED car if you have no front tag!

No big deal- it happens to me about once every 2 years, and in fact I got one again in West Hollywood last month. But if you then mount the front plate and go to the police station for verification, they stamp your ticket and the fine is reduced to $10.

A small price to pay the maintain the smooth lines of the SC!

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 08-09-02 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-09-02, 10:56 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$200 here for a missing license plate the first time. Gets more expensive afterwards ... Obviously, we all have our front license plate here
Old 08-09-02, 11:05 AM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only western state I can think of that doesn't require front plates is Arizona - any AZ folks here? Is that still the case? I have heard that since the advent of the laser speed gun, the cops need a flat reflective surface to shoot and get a good bounce, and newer cars have become so aerodynamic that the only flat spot on the front is the plate.
Old 08-09-02, 11:48 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Dual registry

It is generally not legal to register your car out-of-state, say TN or AR where only the rear plate is required.

But in many states DUAL registry is perfectly legal. If my vehicle is legally registered in both my home state and TN or AR and at any given moment I happen to have only the TN or AR plate installed (with the home state plate{s} "at the ready" lying on the rear package shelf) what would be the basis of a citation?

Last edited by wwest; 08-09-02 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-09-02, 12:04 PM
silvermullet
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have to confess,

I was one of those guys who had my plate inside my windshield for almost 2 years... The previous owner never had the front plate on... the front bumper didn't even have the plate holder or holes in the urethane... so I could find it in my heart to poke holes in my car.

so I molded my front plate where the lower grill is and tied it with plastic ties and painted the ties so they wouldn't be so visible...

I thought it would look ghetto at first, and was complete prepared to put the plate holder on, but it looks pretty tight... try it...

Washington State Patrol pulled me over twice in 2 months after I had it my windshield for 2 years... that BS.. but i got sick of it getting in my field of view, and got more sick of getting pulled over... I know I eventually wouldve gotten a fat ticket...

CONFORM TO THE RULES!!!!
Old 08-09-02, 01:15 PM
Silver00Spike
Pole Position

suckers, i dont have this problem in philly pa.
Old 08-09-02, 01:38 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I've been pulled over probably 7-8 times by five different law enforcement agencies and none of them ever bug me about not having the front plate. I used to carry the front plate in my car all the time just in case, but now I don't even do that! Course I've only had this car about 8 months...
Old 08-09-02, 01:42 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard that having no front plates is now a point and a pretty large fine in CA now ... I remember when it was just a $10 fine .... Now I got my plates on.... Let me know if this is correct, because if it isn't that plates coming right off....
Old 08-09-02, 01:57 PM
stock300
Driver

I purchased my SC300 about 3 months ago from a private sale. I never even thought to look for a front plate. I now realize that I don't have one. It is required here in Dallas but I've seen several SC's around without any. I don't know if they check during an inspection. There is no place to mount the plate as y'all know but is there a mounting bracket assembly that you can buy?
Old 08-09-02, 02:17 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Mounting brackets are sold at the dealership. In CA, it's just a fix it ticket, if you don't fix the violation, you pay the hundred-dollar fine, if you fix it and get it signed off by a cop, it's only a $15 processing fee.
Old 08-09-02, 02:17 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default Making your own license plate mount:

My "processing fee" was only $10 a month ago.

You can easily fabricate your own license plate mounting bracket with some scrap metal that bolts to the underside of the opening under the front bumper- if you feel around you'll probably feel some holes already there. Beyond the holes is some foam that sheet metal screws can grip.

When I get home tonight, I'll post some pics to show you what I mean. It is not the most solid mount, but I only use it to pass the occasional "inspection", and I'd bet if I used longer sheet metal screws, it would firm up more. The added advantage is that no extra holes need be drilled into the bumper.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 08-09-02 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-09-02, 02:33 PM
silvermullet
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought about the bracket idea too... and sticking it under and bolting upwards into the 'roof' of the mouth area, but I didn't like the 'buck tooth' look... the car looks like a flippin beaver looking for food... not my thing... I put it lower... i think the car looks meaner that way, especially with my car lowered...

Whatever you like...

and to all those who haven't gotten tickets yet... if I was a hater, I'd tell you to keep doing what your doing, b/c its just a matter of time before you tagged for it. I drove around 2 YEARS, until the first Washington State Patrol pulled me over... luckily no tickets, but I dare you to keep testing your law enforcement people... I'd be laughing at you pulled over getting a fat a$$ ticket...

Be warned.

Peace
Old 08-09-02, 03:17 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Well...

Silvermullet:

Until just last week I drove my 99 C2 with only the rear license plate. It's now in Memphis for the Elvis commenorative Parade Saturday evening. The only time any law enforcement person took any interest was last summer when my daughter-in-law drove it to her high school reunion in Wenatchee. On her way home the WSP pulled her over but it turned out they were more interested in looking the car over more thoroughly they they were in enforcing the plate law. Only a verbal warning.

When my 01 C4 arrived on the scene last July it still had the German "tourist"plate on the rear and a NC Temporary taped in the rear window. We purchased it over the internet, greenlight.com, took factory delivery, and then picked it up at POE and drove it home.

Within a week a Bellevue motorcycle patrolman pulled up beside me and motioned for me to roll down the window. He then asked me if I planned to license it in Washington state. When I said yes he first advised me that it was illegal to operate a washington state car with an out-of-state temporary license and that I must immediately remove the german tag from the rear. Then he proceded to lecture me that when I did license it in this state I needed to be sure and install both plates as that was the law.

I now have the very same vanity license plate registered, dual registry, in WA and AR, waiting to see the reaction to THAT!
Old 08-09-02, 03:20 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Arkansas does not require a front license plate. I think Mississippi does either. I think the best looking license plates are Arkansas, Texas, California, and very few others. For some reason those plates match whatever color car it is. Missouri plates are horrid: black, green, yellow...
Old 08-09-02, 04:07 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default Pics of my Front Plate Bracket:

(my first attempt to merge 2 images into one file - bear with me)

You can see the small piece of scrap metal that I bent into shape- there's another (not seen) on the other side.

And on the right you can see the results- like i said, not the most solid mount, but it passes inspection and no extra holes need be drilled into the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails Front License Plates - threat or menace?-delthis.jpg  

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 10-16-03 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Front License Plates - threat or menace?