SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tons of Issues With My "New" SC300...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 01:42 PM
colt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tons of Issues With My "New" SC300...

Ok so I finally got around to buying an sc300. I have big plans for it. I love to bring back cars that just have been beaten on so I decided on buying sc300 what needs a good amount of work. Ive been lurking on CL for a long while, so I thought I would join and see if your expertise can help me solve a few trolls in this car

Pic of said abused vehicle:

Anyways here are the major issues that I want to resolve before my swap begins in spring:

-No heat/ac/no power at all from the HVAC unit. I have searched and saw to check multiple fuses including the lighter but still nothing. No visual on the screen no, sound or air. Suggestions?

-Radio works, but you can barely hear it even when the stereo is on max. Not a biggie since Ill go full touchscreen but I wanted to make sure it wasnt an issue with wiring that is common.

-MULTIPLE lights on the dash. ABS, airbag, trac control, and tail light warning light. Any suggestions on common issues. Again I searched and found that the tail light is a common one to come on. Tran control I can turn off right when I start the car, but after driving it cant be turned off or on.

-The black panels around the radio, hvac, ash tray, etc. Is there a kit to replace or cover those? The previous owner had the woodgrain overlay on it (ill pause for you to laugh) that was peeling off. I took it off but the underside is pretty rough. Sanding a painting with interior panel paint an option?

-The carpet is screwed in a big way. Super dirty but no rips. Has anyone taken their full interior out to change or clean?

Thank you in advance for my long winded questions.
Old 01-05-11, 01:55 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SC I just got has some of the same dash light issues, so I'm interested to see what folks have to say.
Old 01-05-11, 02:02 PM
colt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tftimm
The SC I just got has some of the same dash light issues, so I'm interested to see what folks have to say.
Well then ttt
Old 01-05-11, 02:43 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

not bad, just needs a little TLC.. there's a DIY to reset the airbag light; a lot of people just remove the bulb for the tail light warning light; try to clean the parts that were covered by the woodgrain overlay with some googone; and removing the carpets is straight forward remove the seats first
Old 01-05-11, 03:06 PM
colt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jadu
not bad, just needs a little TLC.. there's a DIY to reset the airbag light; a lot of people just remove the bulb for the tail light warning light; try to clean the parts that were covered by the woodgrain overlay with some googone; and removing the carpets is straight forward remove the seats first
Cool thanks I will search that light fix. I did clean it will goo gone but what I THINK the previous owner did was apply adhesive at certain spots which in turn messed up the finish on the stock black plastic. I have seen that some people paint interior pieces with the SEM spray. I would think if I taped off well I could use some black interior spray on the radio area too.

Im going to attempt to remove carpets once I purchase the leather covers. I heard its a pain in the butt so i thought I should do it as one
Old 01-05-11, 03:41 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have u check ur fender harness to see if ur tire ate it since ur slamed
Old 01-05-11, 04:01 PM
colt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by t70 supra
have u check ur fender harness to see if ur tire ate it since ur slamed
Im gonna say no since I didnt know there was a harness in there . Which side? What does it control?

EDIT: Ok so I found where its at and what I need to do. But if I still have my fender liners on can it still wear through the wires? I would assume not.

Last edited by colt; 01-05-11 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-05-11, 04:28 PM
lexus95
Driver

if it got the wires then you should be able to see them at the top of the fender liner because there would probably be a hole in it
Old 01-05-11, 04:37 PM
colt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus95
if it got the wires then you should be able to see them at the top of the fender liner because there would probably be a hole in it
Ok Ill get in there tomorrow and see if anything is screwed up wiring wise. Thanks guys.
Old 01-06-11, 01:18 AM
97RSPSCTT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by colt
Ok Ill get in there tomorrow and see if anything is screwed up wiring wise. Thanks guys.
yeah, i just got finished with the relocation nightmare. i got lucky, i only ate through about twelve wires.
Old 01-06-11, 05:18 AM
Darksaga
Driver School Candidate

I want those wheels/tires...How much? Lol
Old 01-06-11, 07:33 AM
colt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97RSPSCTT
yeah, i just got finished with the relocation nightmare. i got lucky, i only ate through about twelve wires.
Yeah Im going to look today, but its like 15 outside so I dont have much motivation
Old 01-06-11, 07:35 AM
colt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Darksaga
I want those wheels/tires...How much? Lol
2500, and you get a free car

They are getting powder coated here soon. I hate chrome. Probably going to do the lip a gloss black and the spokes flat black. Then a shine ac kit and paint and will look pretty good. But right now Im focusing on getting heat and redoing the whole interior (new leather, cleaning everything, etc)
Old 01-06-11, 11:02 AM
colt
Driver School Candidate

Harness looks good. Well I didnt actually see it. The wheel well plastic cover is still intact
Old 01-06-11, 11:15 AM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

I have a related question. If a small part of the dashboard/speedometer doesnt light up it means one of the bulbs went out right?

Quick Reply: Tons of Issues With My "New" SC300...