SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Power Steering BS

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-11, 10:31 PM
TunerLexx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering BS

Okay, I already made a thread about this...but now there's a semi-new development in my situation. I thought I needed to bleed my PS system because it would overflow, I'd suck some dex3 out of the reservoir then later when I go to drive it, the fluid level is too low--so I would add, and it'd be fine, go to drive it later and it'd be overfull.

To remedy this, I was told to bleed it by lifting the front end of the car--and slowly turn the wheel from side to side all the way, which made air leave my system--so I added fluid whist doing so. System registered as full--and the car drove like butter for about three days...

My problem began reoccurring so I thought I just didn't bleed it all the way. I did it again, and the steering was fine AGAIN, and it has become an ongoing cycle of me bleeding the system every time it acts up...and it sucks lol. I was told there are screens in both the reservoir and one behind the inlet hose to the pump (take the little bolt out with the hole in it that attaches the inlet hose to the pump) Now I'm not sure about THAT screen, but I know for a fact I can't see the screen for the reservoir--and yet I still took it out from the system and cleaned the hell outta it with throttle body cleaner.

My BIG question is, if the screen to the PS pump is clean, should I go ahead and replace the reservoir? Under the assumption that it's too far gone and me cleaning it did nothing. (Oh and the pump is new but I might replace it too if the warranty is still holding--and it should since it hasn't even been half a year since replacing it) I know for a fact air is getting into the system SOMEHOW (which is why I might replace the reservoir if y'all advise doing so since I heard that screen in it can get clogged, forcing the air to be sucked in through the reservoir cap or something like that) I'm just not sure HOW the air is getting in...since there are absolutely NO leaks at all (and yeah I know the lines are dumbfoundingly long and I followed them from end to end--dry) I basically wanna know if you guys think it's something else I'm overlooking...as you can all tell from my long *** post that this is stressing me pretty hard, so please Lexus community, provide me with some feedback lol......please don't let it be my rack lol
Old 01-11-11, 10:53 AM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked o see if your inner tie rod boots are dry? Just a thought. Also p-fluid seems to disappear into your intake manifold/air cleaner when your air control valve on the side of your p-steering pump goes bad. just follow the vac-line down from the nipple on the intake under the Lexus emblem and you'll find it. Pull the line and the other one that goes to the air filter side of the intake and see if there's any sign of fluid and check all through your air cleaner assembly. Hope this helps and GL

Last edited by socal72; 01-11-11 at 10:55 AM. Reason: needed to add some things