SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

To buy or NOT to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 09:10 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default To buy or NOT to buy?

I am in a dilemna. I need some advice. My buddy called me last night and told me that his friend thats in his Reserve unit wanted to sell his SC400. He only wants 500 measly bucks for it. I havent never seen it or know of any problems. I dont even know the year of it. I do know that he has been driving the car for over 2 years now and needs more room for the kids and wants something to get better gas mileage.

I will be making a decision on it after I see the car. My thoughts is to buy it and fix the little things if any and drive the hell out of it and park my 92 SC400. This would be a great second car to drive back and forth. My other problem is would you not buy it and spend the money on another salvage SC for some interior parts that are tan? I will have to repaint mostly all of the parts to match my black SEM interior. More work. Lastly, would you have full coverage or just liabilty? I curently have State Farm.

My last problem, is that my step kids, age 15 and 16 both have their permits and has been driving all over the place. Would you give it to one of them to drive? I have mixed emotions, due to the speeding in it and making my insurance go up even more. Sorry for all of the ideas, but I just want to make the right decision.

Any wise thoughts on not to buy or pass on it?

My strongest feelings are to buy regardless of the shape and drive it for my second car with just liability or part it on here and triple my money and put that towards a 5 speed swap conversion in my SC.
Old 01-17-11, 09:12 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

I'd buy it.
Old 01-17-11, 09:16 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Thats my thoughts exactly. I am going to try and go look at it today and take several pictures and possibly drive it.
Old 01-17-11, 09:17 AM
magneti
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

of course youre going to buy it. It may be worth putting a little money into and keeping it. great car for the kids as long as you dont let them tear it up. its a sentimental thing.

My other problem is would you not buy it and spend the money on another salvage SC for some interior parts that are tan? I will have to repaint mostly all of the parts to match my black SEM interior. More work
you lost me here. which car?
Old 01-17-11, 09:25 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Let me clarify that statement, sorry for the confusion. I found a salvaged SC here locally and it has tan interior, but its in mint condition, door panels, seats, etc. I was going to use this money towards the salvage one, but it will just require more work to put it in MY SC. My SC has black SEM interior, buying these parts out of the salvaged one, will just require more work out of me, due to painting alot of parts again. I hope this makes better sense.

I also have to agree with you on letting the kids drive it. I'm not worried about my stepdaughter, but my stepson---most definitly. He doesnt take care of anything.
Old 01-18-11, 04:40 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I finally got a chance to look at the car this afternoon. Its in ok shape, but this is what it needs. The previous owner said he broke the ignition switch, so its hot wired to the starter, middle exhaust cat is missing, just pipes hanging, the brake booster is out, but stops ok, three needles are out, and 7 backlights are out on the cluster, the LCD is almost black. It does drive firm and the a/c and heat works good. I have decided to sleep on it for a few days and make a decision. I still think it will be a great second work car. I can fix it all. I would have posted pictures of it, but its raining and low fog is here. Its green in color and has tan interior.
Old 01-18-11, 04:46 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

good $500 project.. if you have the room get it before he sells to someone else for 500.. i honestly dont see going for that low around here
Old 01-18-11, 05:19 PM
magneti
Pole Position

if you're willing to put in a lot of work go for it. sounds like it will take some time and money.

if not, look for one in better shape.
Old 01-18-11, 05:22 PM
Gimpster
Driver

Wost case you part the thing out and quadruple (or more) your money. Thats what I'd do to POS MR2's back in the day anyway.
Old 01-18-11, 05:24 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Let me clarify that statement, sorry for the confusion. I found a salvaged SC here locally and it has tan interior, but its in mint condition, door panels, seats, etc. I was going to use this money towards the salvage one, but it will just require more work to put it in MY SC. My SC has black SEM interior, buying these parts out of the salvaged one, will just require more work out of me, due to painting alot of parts again. I hope this makes better sense.

I also have to agree with you on letting the kids drive it. I'm not worried about my stepdaughter, but my stepson---most definitly. He doesnt take care of anything.
honestly give it a try, u never new i never took care of anything much less my previous two cars which was a 1995 jeep, a 2001 rx300 till i got a 95 sc400 i fell in love with the car and took car of it and got into car modding

ur son might have the same effect and u could help him mod it which i wished my dad help me do
Old 01-18-11, 05:38 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

500 bucks? Definitely worth doing. The parts on the car are worth way more if you have to part it out.
Old 01-18-11, 06:30 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Guys you all have the same thoughts as me. I could just buy it and drive like it is, minus the open the exhaust, or just part it out. My guess is to just do what is right and buy it. Maybe after some good hard work, a little hot glue, duck tape, and gorilla glue, anything can be fixed. That was a joke of course. Thanks for you all's advice on this. Just wanted to get some other outside opinions.

By the way the insurance full coverage with all of my discounts was going to be 560 every six months, or just 36 bucks a month for liability. This is with State Farm.
Old 01-18-11, 08:56 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

What year is it?
Old 01-18-11, 11:50 PM
boostin240
Driver

LOL its a running lexus for $500. You can part it out and make more. Or keep and enjoy. Here in Chicago its a no brainer. We dont usually have running cars for less then $1000 let alone a SC300 / 400
Old 01-19-11, 12:05 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in a similar situation. There's a 1992 1JZ Soarer locally with 35,000 Kms (thats 21,700 MILES!!!!!!) for only $3500!!!! I dont need the car and I dont exactly have the money right now to spend on a car I dont need. But I'm gonna go take a look at it and try to decide if I'm gonna jump on it and part it. I'm just trying to decide how many Soarer parts I can actually sell (other than the engine obviously) to try to make some of that money back..

Quick Reply: To buy or NOT to buy?