'downgrading our cars'

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 11:27 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 436 Likes on 359 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by iridebmx
^yea i know right! so much stuff can go wrong.

things like the fuel pump ecu are what i was talking about.(most people like me had to end up bypassing it if the car stalls out) but after reading and thinking more common sense like. the separate ecus need to be there to organize everything. no wonder our car needs like 820cca to start. thats so lame though.

still though it would be nice to only have many 2-3 computers controlling everything instead of separate things like the taillights????????? why do taillights need a computer!
I had my fuel pump ECU go out a month after I first got my SC300 last summer. It sucked so bad because it would stall out on the highway or on a busy street. The dealership couldn't figure it out and no mechanic knew how to fix it.

If you're one of the people that don't use any of the Lexus/Supra forums, having an SC would be an electrical nightmare when stuff starts going out.

I wish it were just a simple two or three computers. I always thought it was stupid that the taillights had their own computer. I've never seen such a high tech car like these before.
Old 01-17-11, 11:47 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

it's generally just the solder connections on the PCB that have gone bad on the ecus. over the years and all the heat cycling the electronics go through they develop micofractures/cold solder joints.
Old 01-18-11, 01:15 AM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If hard wiring everything and gutting the interior is your goal, I see your intention. But most things on a car are there for a reason for daily driving. I was going to recommend a early 90's Honda for their simplicity but you did mention your likings on SC's. So, you should look for one of those $500 SC on craiglist and it'll have everything you're looking for. Electric seats that doesn't move, power windows that only stays down, shocks that let's the car bounce up and down.. If you like the way SC's ride and feel, it's because those ECU's that you're trying to eliminate are working in conjunction with each other like a perfect harmony. Removing them will take the greatness out of the SC.
Old 01-18-11, 10:21 AM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
If you just wait long enough, it all will stop working on its own and you'll get what you want... Seats will stop moving, steering wheel won't telescope, windows won't roll down, etc.

Just make sure to keep them in the position you want them to be in all the time and be patient
Vote for best answer!
Old 01-18-11, 10:38 AM
scmissle
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's funny how some people like simplicity, and others don't mind complex. the SC300 is a luxury car so that's the crowd it attracts. however im with you and want to keep it simple, but mine is going to be a track car over the next 3 years. I talked to a wiring shop and found the chassis harness is going to cost $2500 for a custom one. this means no power seat options, no tail light ecu, no fuel pump ecu, no airbag ecu, no traction control ECU. It will have bare essentials, heater, lights, wipers, a/c, signals, radio and horn, every thing else will be gone. Why would i do this?, because i just spent $400 on a computer module i don't need.
Old 01-18-11, 10:52 AM
SCick300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iridebmx
^yea i know right! so much stuff can go wrong.

things like the fuel pump ecu are what i was talking about.(most people like me had to end up bypassing it if the car stalls out) but after reading and thinking more common sense like. the separate ecus need to be there to organize everything. no wonder our car needs like 820cca to start. thats so lame though.

still though it would be nice to only have many 2-3 computers controlling everything instead of separate things like the taillights????????? why do taillights need a computer!
Because you drive a LEXUS.
Old 01-18-11, 10:54 AM
SCick300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scmissle
it's funny how some people like simplicity, and others don't mind complex. the SC300 is a luxury car so that's the crowd it attracts. however im with you and want to keep it simple, but mine is going to be a track car over the next 3 years. I talked to a wiring shop and found the chassis harness is going to cost $2500 for a custom one. this means no power seat options, no tail light ecu, no fuel pump ecu, no airbag ecu, no traction control ECU. It will have bare essentials, heater, lights, wipers, a/c, signals, radio and horn, every thing else will be gone. Why would i do this?, because i just spent $400 on a computer module i don't need.
Why not spend that $2500 on a 240 or an MX5 and build that to be a track car....? Just sayin
Old 01-18-11, 11:44 AM
Gimpster
Driver

I say: Make the car how you want... its your car after all.

I greatly simplified all of the wiring systems on my MR2's for many of the same reasons. Those cars (well, this whole era of Toyota's in general) had many random and often prone to fail control units throughout the body.

Personally I'd choose reliability, simplicity and function over any perceived luxury notion from the 90's. Lets also not forget that many of these SC3/4's are being purchased for very cheap these days.
Old 01-18-11, 12:00 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

If you get rid of all these luxuries, you will not really be driving a Lexus anymore.
Old 01-18-11, 06:52 PM
Emilio253
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gimpster
I say: Make the car how you want... its your car after all.

I greatly simplified all of the wiring systems on my MR2's for many of the same reasons. Those cars (well, this whole era of Toyota's in general) had many random and often prone to fail control units throughout the body.

Personally I'd choose reliability, simplicity and function over any perceived luxury notion from the 90's. Lets also not forget that many of these SC3/4's are being purchased for very cheap these days.
I understand what you're saying, but only if the sc's percieved notion of "luxury" didnt compete even with todays luxury vehicles, then I would agree with you.. But the fact that the sc is both a performance and luxury vehicle makes it even better then most cars being produced today. not because it has only performance and luxury,but that it competes with present day vehicles..

The sc400 has a very reliable 260hp engine with a design that still attracts many people and fools many people into thinking it was made recently..

You can probabaly count the cars on your hand that has an engine and tranny that can last up to 500,000 miles without having any major problems go wrong. and have heated seats, seat memory, telescoping steering wheel, an awesome audio system, and many more..

This isn't just another luxury vehicle that came and went. it's still one of the best. don't downgrade on of the best.
Old 01-18-11, 07:17 PM
Relapser
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my friend has a job as a care taker for people who suffer brain damage... i often go to the centre with him to talk to the people who live at the centre, just to talk to them and give them company...

...This one guy... Danny... he always forgets who i am ... but he loves seeing me... we hang out and play tetherball outside, sometimes i feed him... make sure he's all clean and stuff... he just LOVES hugs... he loves hugs like you wouldn't believe...

....he's REALLY badly brain damaged though... constantly drools on himself... puts his shoes on the wrong feet etc...

...I'm 100% confident that if Danny had YOUR CAR he would NEVER do soemthing this stupid.

the car's not broken. the electronics are NOT broken, either... so why eff with it???

you mentioned earlier that you have no job - i feel for you... being unemployed sucks... i hear people are doing it tough in the USA at the moment...

but seriously. you're bored. find something else to do. go get some paper and draw some stuff..
go listen to some black sabbath or joy division i dont care.

just... dont... do... this...
Old 01-18-11, 07:27 PM
scmissle
Rookie

Originally Posted by SCick300
Why not spend that $2500 on a 240 or an MX5 and build that to be a track car....? Just sayin
I would but I already had a 240SX, and there are about a 10:1 ratio of 240SX at the track compared to an SC300 so I like being different. Maybe I will keep all the luxury items and spend the money on an AEM EMS. I can still track it and also make some sick power! That's why I don't want a 240SX, we have something different that is far more capable than we give credit to. Why are there so many more fast 240SX's? Because everybody uses them. Lets get some SC300 guys, fabricators, engine builders, upholsterers, and engineers and build us a Luxury coupe that will shock the world! I think I have a new goal, who wants to donate to a fund? lol. Thanks SCick300, I am now going to go over broke because I like your style! ( none of this s meant to insult anybody)
Old 01-18-11, 08:41 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
If you just wait long enough, it all will stop working on its own and you'll get what you want... Seats will stop moving, steering wheel won't telescope, windows won't roll down, etc.

Just make sure to keep them in the position you want them to be in all the time and be patient
AAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahahhahaahahaaaa!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-11, 08:49 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

there are more fast 240's because of the market there at multiple engine combo's you could put in that thing (i owned one once) sr20, all rb's, even 350 chevy blocks can be put in that car also a light chassis and everything is cheap for the car as well, but for every well built 240 you can find and even better built sc that wont make you feel like your in a sardine can if ur taller than 5'8 and you can have a/c and power steering and comfort at the same time
Old 01-18-11, 08:51 PM
Gimpster
Driver

I won't lie, I bought this car because I didn't want to pay the "******* tax" of a MKIV Supra. I got the next best thing in my book and for pocket change. People won't like that statement, but there it is

Most of the bells and whistles are either on their way out or not working in my '95 SC400. I would NEVER downgrade the exterior or interior appearance of my car, but also won't spend any money repairing things that I find of minimal use. IE: electric seats, electric tilt/telescoping column and the like. I'm already in the process of restoration work on my interior as a matter of fact. I DO like heated seats though, so those will always stay functional.

You guys get all up in arms over people removing "luxury" options on these cars, yet I see thread after thread about peoples maaaad t1t3 "stance" with rolled and pulled fenders. In many cases doing much more damage than good to the cars chassis and/or handling capability. Yet I never see anyone in those threads complaining?

Different strokes for different folks is all I'm saying. I see my car as a blank canvas and to make it my own. For the folks who are keeping these cars low milage and mint, I appreciate that and someday you'll have a vehicle worth money.

Originally Posted by Emilio253
I understand what you're saying, but only if the sc's percieved notion of "luxury" didnt compete even with todays luxury vehicles, then I would agree with you.. But the fact that the sc is both a performance and luxury vehicle makes it even better then most cars being produced today. not because it has only performance and luxury,but that it competes with present day vehicles..

The sc400 has a very reliable 260hp engine with a design that still attracts many people and fools many people into thinking it was made recently..

You can probabaly count the cars on your hand that has an engine and tranny that can last up to 500,000 miles without having any major problems go wrong. and have heated seats, seat memory, telescoping steering wheel, an awesome audio system, and many more..

This isn't just another luxury vehicle that came and went. it's still one of the best. don't downgrade on of the best.

Quick Reply: 'downgrading our cars'