SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

'downgrading our cars'

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 04:01 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 'downgrading our cars'

First off I will say I like my sc400 a lot and will like even more when I get employed again and can buy more than suspension for it.

Lately though I have been thinking about making my car basic (in the future of course). no electrics seats, no electric steering wheel etc etc.

anyone ever do this besides someone that has it as a drift or track car?

i got my ecu rebuilt about a month ago and while i was looking it up i read we have like 20+ ecu in our cars!??? I want to eliminate some unneeded "luxuries"...

what are somethings i can take away but still wire up to have working?

orrrrr am i going to get people preaching to me that theres no point?

i liked the simplicity of my old s13 but love the look and feel of driving my sc400
Old 01-17-11, 04:22 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no idea why you would even want to do this. If anything you'll be spending money getting it all done, IF it's even possible. I think about the only thing u can 'downgrade' is the seats.
But I still don't get it, wtf downgrade? It's not like u spent money to have it 'upgraded' the way it is. And you won't be saving any money by not having the telescoping steering wheel. Sorry man, I have no idea how you are even considering something like this, it doesn't make sence at all.
If you simply don't like luxuries (which also doesn't really make sence), buy a Honda.
Old 01-17-11, 04:22 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if you want no electric seats you may want to swap to seats that can move manually, power steering you could pull the pump and find a belt that will fit without the pump there...but the sc is a beast of a car to try an turn without power steering unlike the 240...also i think the sc400 has way to many electronics that work off each other to try and eliminate them the car may become a big turd if you get to crazy trying to 240 it....maybe you should just strip it down some with some weight reduction seat swap, nardi steering wheel, pull the carper deadening material etc..
Old 01-17-11, 04:43 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Supra seats are manual, lighter, and will fit.
Old 01-17-11, 06:43 PM
4thHorsemn
Pole Position

go go gadget flame suit!!! lol, by deleting these "options" we'll call them, you aren't really gaining much. From now on before you mod your sc you need to ask yourself. "What is the risk? What is the reward?" The loss of these options aren't going to net you any significant gain to validate the work that will need to go into removing them. if you are looking for a low budget race car, you can start by removing the interior down to bare necessities, remove ac and get a smaller belt. Maybe get some underdrive pullies, get a KNN filter and open up the exhaust a little bit..... but keep in mind by doing so, you are destroying a beautiful car and will catch alot of flack for it. But in the end it is your car. I know how it feels to get the itch and you just wanna work on your car but you lack the funds to do anything significant. Just be patient and save your money. It will pay off in the end I promise you! Good luck with the car!
Old 01-17-11, 06:58 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the sounds of it i thought he wasn't trying to 'mod' the car, but dumb it down a bit as he specifically asked for non-drift options. Which is exactly why I'm at a complete loss as to why one would want to do this..
'Unneeded luxuries'??? What the hell man!? Lol!
Old 01-17-11, 06:58 PM
ucmysc400
Pole Position

just keep it as is .. then once u get money start doin small things as maintenance check up etc.. after ur car runs smooth as butter then start doin stuff to it if u feel like it of course..
Old 01-17-11, 07:03 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

If you just wait long enough, it all will stop working on its own and you'll get what you want... Seats will stop moving, steering wheel won't telescope, windows won't roll down, etc.

Just make sure to keep them in the position you want them to be in all the time and be patient
Old 01-17-11, 07:22 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your going to put money into Downgrading, Mind as well stay fully luxurious... lol
Old 01-17-11, 07:58 PM
4thHorsemn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
If you just wait long enough, it all will stop working on its own and you'll get what you want... Seats will stop moving, steering wheel won't telescope, windows won't roll down, etc.

Just make sure to keep them in the position you want them to be in all the time and be patient
Lol..... I showed this to my wife and she even laughed..... Good one sir.... Good one.....
Old 01-17-11, 08:28 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

These 'downgrades' are only beneficial if you want to lose some weight -- mainly in the seats.

I don't know why you would want to get rid of the auto tilt and telescopic wheel, it's still the best one in the biz. My Soarer is without it and it is a feature I miss sometimes. The steering wheel itself - I can understand why you'd want to change that.
Old 01-17-11, 08:36 PM
scforlife
Driver

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I have no idea why you would even want to do this. If anything you'll be spending money getting it all done, IF it's even possible. I think about the only thing u can 'downgrade' is the seats.
But I still don't get it, wtf downgrade? It's not like u spent money to have it 'upgraded' the way it is. And you won't be saving any money by not having the telescoping steering wheel. Sorry man, I have no idea how you are even considering something like this, it doesn't make sence at all.
If you simply don't like luxuries (which also doesn't really make sence), buy a Honda.
+1. The whole reason i bought my SC was because it felt like i was made to drive it and the accessories made it all the better to drive. So why anyone would want to spend money into making, IMO a destroyed car, is beyond me.
Old 01-17-11, 10:17 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

i wanna see how many ecu's i can name off the top of my head

1. engine ecu
2. fuel pump ecu
3. tail light fail sensor ecu
4. airbag ecu
5. passenger seat ecu
6. driver seat ecu
7. theft deterrent ecu
8. abs ecu

do the radio and a/c controls count? lol
Old 01-17-11, 10:42 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 436 Likes on 359 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 93MSB
i wanna see how many ecu's i can name off the top of my head

1. engine ecu
2. fuel pump ecu
3. tail light fail sensor ecu
4. airbag ecu
5. passenger seat ecu
6. driver seat ecu
7. theft deterrent ecu
8. abs ecu

do the radio and a/c controls count? lol
The amount of ECU's on our cars is crazy! My Saturn probably has an engine ECU and that's it....
Old 01-17-11, 10:43 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^yea i know right! so much stuff can go wrong.

things like the fuel pump ecu are what i was talking about.(most people like me had to end up bypassing it if the car stalls out) but after reading and thinking more common sense like. the separate ecus need to be there to organize everything. no wonder our car needs like 820cca to start. thats so lame though.

still though it would be nice to only have many 2-3 computers controlling everything instead of separate things like the taillights????????? why do taillights need a computer!

Last edited by iridebmx; 01-17-11 at 10:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 'downgrading our cars'