SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

new tps sensor no difference...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 09:08 AM
dougEfresh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new tps sensor no difference...

alright, well I went via a junk yard and installed a used tps and the car ran GREAT!!!!..... for a day.. then reverted back to the excelleration hickups and bucking... So I finally bit the bullet and purchased a new tps from a local parts dealer and installed it.. Now no matter what adjustment, I still get rough idle and the excelleration hickups... I know it has SOMETHING to do with the tps, but not sure exactly what.. Maybe a weak ground??? What I am wondering is what else directly effect the tps that might be messed up.. I have tried simply resetting the ecu, does nothing for me... any help or advice or thoughts would be appreciated as I have only driven my car without this symptom for 1 day in for the 2 months I've owned it.. I'm getting extremely annoyed.... thanks guys in advance.
Old 01-19-11, 01:49 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you be a little more specific, how do you "know" its your TPS
Old 01-19-11, 07:48 PM
dougEfresh
Driver School Candidate

alright.. so a week ago I replaced my original tps sensor with a "used" tps sensor I bought at a junk yard. my car had the typical hickups during excelleration, and just off idle, also had a semi rough idle.. So anyways I replaced the tps and the car ran great, for 1 day with the new tps.. the very next day I started it up and it was like I had done nothing.. So I figured maybe I should just go get a new tps.. I did and with that replaced I have no difference in the way the car runs at all. When i adjust the tps I can get the car to idle better, and i can slightly improve the cars performance at partial throttle but I still have the hickups on the freeway and around the city driving.. when i adjust the tps it sometimes adjusts the speed at which the hickups accure but it doesn't get rid of them.. basically I believe the issue is/has something to do with the tps or maybe the wiring or SOMETHING related.. but not sure what. when I have time I'm gonna try and see if adding my own ground might fix the issue or??????? I'm at a loss as far as what else to do. it seems to me that everyone that has a faulty tps just replaces it and bam it's done.. But I believe my tps sensor might have been good the whole time and something related to the tps is messed up, I just don't know where to start looking.. that's why I need to gurus
Old 01-20-11, 06:02 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

When I first got my 94 SC300 it idled and ran like crap. I changed and adjusted the TPS thinking that was the problem no improvement. I changed plugs and O2 sensors and my car runs like a dream up too this day. when last you did a tune up?
Old 01-20-11, 07:55 AM
dougEfresh
Driver School Candidate

honestly I just bought the car almost 2 months ago.. prob put in the neighborhood of 750 miles on it (had to drive it across state to get her home) the only thing I've done is get the oil changed but have yet to jump on the tune up cause of this problem. To me the symptoms point to the tps sensor or something related, but do you think that the plugs/wires and 02 sensors would do what I have described...

symptoms- misses slightly at idle.. and when i am barely touching the gas pedal it studders, sometimes just a bit, sometimes pretty bad. on the freeway I can almost not at all touch the gas or my car hickups, alot.. if I push 60 or more percent throttle the car does not studder, or if I floor it it doesnt studder.

that said, I can adjust the current tps to get the car to idle better, but then my tranny engagement is messed up ( shifts hard and or at higher rpm's) and the hickups are only adjusted to a slightly different rpm.. IE a good adjustment might get it to hickup less at 60 mph but drive like **** at 35 cause at 35 I can't even think about touching the gas.. this is also an issue with hills ..

anyways, I'll try the tune up here and see if i can get her to run better. But don't my symptoms point toward tps to you?
Old 01-20-11, 07:55 AM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do some diagnostics...could be bad o2 sensors, maybe they gave u a bad tps(it happens), bad plugs bad wires, bad iacv, if u dont look how do u expect anyone to help u lol...we cant see your car...
Old 01-20-11, 10:04 AM
SCick300
Driver School Candidate

Doesn't sound like the TPS to me. I would check your EGR connections if your plug and wires are okay. I would also check to see if you have an exhaust leak near your o2 sensor.
Old 01-20-11, 03:50 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check these things

Pre and Post Cat sensors
check ALL your plugs and wires
Check your fuse's ( i know sounds dumb)
check your MAF ( i had the same problem and getting a new MAF fixed it)
Old 01-20-11, 05:35 PM
S142jz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1ST Check timming. If that checks out. 2nd see if Friend will let you swap MAF SENSOR. A bad Maf will make ur car run like crap.

If you replaced the Tps sensor and no change it doesn't make sense that it still would be bad.
Old 01-20-11, 07:06 PM
dougEfresh
Driver School Candidate

awsome.. makes sense and I'll try it out. I know that my tps sensor isn't bad, just wasn't sure if maybe there was a wiring issue.. but it seems like it is gonna end up being something else.. I plan on changing plugs and wires and cleaning the MAF and maybe replacing that as well. then see what is up.. If my 02 sensors were messing up at all wouldn't I have a check engine light?
Old 01-20-11, 07:14 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dougEfresh
awsome.. makes sense and I'll try it out. I know that my tps sensor isn't bad, just wasn't sure if maybe there was a wiring issue.. but it seems like it is gonna end up being something else.. I plan on changing plugs and wires and cleaning the MAF and maybe replacing that as well. then see what is up.. If my 02 sensors were messing up at all wouldn't I have a check engine light?
i can remove my o2 sensor from the header and drive just fine with no check engine light lol.... but dont try that **** on a honda...what year is yours obd1 or obd2?