SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

4-5psi from a supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-02, 10:57 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-5psi from a supercharger?

As some of you may know from my previous posts, I'm still looking into supercharging my SC4.

I've found a company that makes centrifugal superchargers that may be small enough to fit the SC. But so far, their 'largest' supercharger would only be capable of producing approx. 4-5psi of boost on the V8.

I know that this wouldn't produce nearly as much power as a turboed SC3 for expample, but hey, gotta start somewhere, and the options for us V8 guys are kinda limited.

Sooooo ... how much power would you expect from a 1UZ-FE at 4-5psi of boost, including ECU tuning (probably Weapon-R)? Is there a formula to actually 'calculate' power gains for a given engine at given boost levels?
Also, I would think that intercooling is not really worth it at those boost levels. Do you agree?

I'm REALLY serious about this, so any inputs, good or bad, will be higly appreciated ... as usual.
Old 08-13-02, 01:05 PM
Neal Rikal
Pole Position

why not use a t trim or sq from vortech? take out your fan and use a thermo
Old 08-14-02, 04:34 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

a belt driven turbo combines the worst of exhaust turbos and superchargers. Every belt driven turbo on a SC has ended in tears. Twin Turbos would be nice but very complex and while delivering that fantastic top end rush nothing beats a positive displacement supercharger for torque down low and that great low rpm grunt. For our heavy V8s I reckon a top mount single positive displacement supercharger delivers the best driving experience.
In Melbourne (pronouced Melbin over here, not Melborn like Tom in Rainman - don't ask me why), Forced Air Technologies are working on such a kit right now for an SC V8.
More info in the supercharger page on this website:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/

Here is a pic:
The kit will cost about $7000 Aud or there abouts - about $4000 US.
FAT are also in a partnership with a University about superchargers - lets hope it all works out ok.
Attached Thumbnails 4-5psi from a supercharger?-333.jpg  
Old 08-14-02, 08:30 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

UZZ32,

I agree on most of the points you made. And yes, a top mount pd sc would be a great setup. Just have (had?) serious doubts that it can be done on the SC without serious mods to make enough room.

Maybe I just didn't look hard enough, but I didn't really find any information on the status of this project. All I found are a couple of statements saying that there is a project going on, but nothing about what the setup will be, or even a timeline. Do you know more? I've read the article on fat's website about the Lex before. Looks like it's already there forever????

There are hundreds of threads on this board about supercharging or turbocharging the SC400, but so far there is NOTHING except for some wild setups that nobody is ever going to install because its either way too expensive or just not usable on a daily driver.
So, until I see some facts and real accomplishments, it's hard for me not to be sceptical. Please don't misunderstand - I'm not saying it can't be done or whatever and if they really do this, I'm gonna be the first to open my wallet.

On another note, I've talked to a company building race engines and supercharger kits. They also have a kit for the IS200 for example, based on an Eaton SC - so that should make you happy .
They are very successful here in Europe with their race engines and really know their stuff. I'm going to see them next week and discuss the feasability of starting a supercharger project for the SC4.