SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Driver Side Power Window

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-02, 12:14 PM
JSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driver Side Power Window

Have anyone experience this before. My driver side window suddenly stop working. I checked the fuses and they’re OK. I also took off the door panel and tested the motor with 12V power applies to it and the motor is OK. I don’t know where are the relay for it locate at or maybe the switch is bad.
Old 08-14-02, 11:45 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I have the same problem with my drivers side window. One day, it just stopped working. The only controls that do not work are the window controls (for both driver & passenger).

I can still lock/unlock doors and adjust my mirrors. I just can't roll my drivers side window down or up. I can however reach over to the passenger side and move that window up & down.

I've also had it checked out and so far no one knows how to fix it. I think Do-Luck SC has this same problem, very strange!

Now that summers almost over, my windows are fogging up again and my heater doesn't work!! *sighs*

Anyone with these problems find a fix?

Tony
Old 08-14-02, 12:41 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the problem, but i could operate my pass. window from the drivers side. W/ mine, the switch was messed up. some lil plastic part had broken off and i had to push the switch down VERY VERY hard for the window to roll down and vice-versa. I took it apart and just stuck something in the switch where the plastic part had been. Sorry for no details, but this was a long time ago. Just take the switch apart and u should be able to figure it out
Old 08-14-02, 01:14 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Try this thread for heater problems:

Tony, your heater problem may be more complicated, but I was able to fix mine by just adding coolant! Details at:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postid=200336
Old 08-14-02, 01:23 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually, my i can roll down my driver's side window just fine, but i can't control my passenger side window from the driver side. but i can reach over like tony and roll down the window from there.
Old 08-14-02, 01:31 PM
JSC400
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Driver Side Power Window

I know my passenger side window is still working, I finally spend some time to remove the passenger side window switch connector with ignition “ON” and found there is one solid blue wire will “Light” with my test light.

Then I remove the driver sided window switch connector and test the solid blue wire w/ my test light “No Light”. I start to trace the solid blue wire and found the wire was broken near the door jam. I’m wondering the previous owner tried to do something, but that’s a lousy job. Anyway I fixed the wire and now it works great.
Old 08-14-02, 01:43 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks JSC400, I'll check that out.

PerryinLA: thanks for the link but I wish my problem was as easy as yours. My whole system has been flushed and it still doesn't work.

You think it could be the heater control valve solenoid? Anyone have to replace this unit?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 08-16-02, 11:39 AM
bkeros
Driver School Candidate

Ha! I can roll both windows down tfrom the driver's side - but the passenger side (from Pass side) works very sporatically. I've not taken the switch apart, but have noticed that the little tab that holds the from of the switch plate has broken off the door, allowing the switch black to "open up" at the front. Irritating....
Old 08-16-02, 12:18 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar problem like that too , I can only roll my passenger side window up from the passengers side, I did take apart the drivers side controls and cleaned out the passengers side control. there was a lot of carbon? black buildup that was interfering with the connection .. but it stopped working so I guess I didn't clean it out well enough or the same thing just happened again.
Old 08-17-02, 03:33 PM
stock300
Driver

Unhappy

I remember similar problems with my Supra. The passenger side window wouldn't go up when I used the master switch from the driver's side. It turns out that the contacts on the master switch were worn. I was able to salvage a few more months out of the switch before it gave out again. The best solution was a new switch. $$$$$
Old 09-13-02, 08:47 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, this must be a common problem... Mine just went out as well.

My Driver side window switch will not work when the door is open but it will when the door is closed.. THe keypad lights flicker when you are openning and closing the door.

I can still operate everything else just fine though (mirror, locks)
Old 09-14-02, 04:30 PM
rcrach
Driver School Candidate

Default power windows

Your windows are not supposed to work with the door open. It's a safety feature. The door open detector switch goes to the ECU over the steering column (among "many" other places) and locks out the window control (disables power to the assembly), the locks still work and the window lockout switch because they're on a seperate connector.

Rick
Old 09-14-02, 05:15 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: power windows

Originally posted by rcrach
Your windows are not supposed to work with the door open. It's a safety feature. The door open detector switch goes to the ECU over the steering column (among "many" other places) and locks out the window control (disables power to the assembly), the locks still work and the window lockout switch because they're on a seperate connector.

Rick

Wel, I thought of that already. But that can't be true in my case, or there is something else broken, because when I close the door sometimes the lights are still out on the buttons and the window switch still doesn't work even with the door shut... I think I have a wire broken inside of my door jam because I grabbed the harness and moved it a little then the switch lights came back on..

CAN ANYONE VOUCH FOR WHAT HE IS SAYING? I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW FOR SURE IF THERE IS A WINDOW SAFTEY SWITCH THAT PROHIBITS THE WINDOWS TO ROLL UP AND DOWN WHILE THE DOOR IS OPEN.. bacause, I have had the car for 6 months and this is the first time its ever not rolled up I believe (I might be wrong however)

Thanks
Old 09-14-02, 09:52 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

I just went out and checked my car...both windows go up and down with door open as long as the ignition is on or car is running.
When you think about it....what would be the point of having some safety feature concerning the windows with the doors open?

Last edited by mjr24; 09-14-02 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-15-02, 05:40 PM
rcrach
Driver School Candidate

Default Driver Side Power Window

Sorry, my bad,

The effect the door open detector switch has on the windows is this, when you turn off the car and the doors are closed, you have 60 seconds to roll up or down the windows and prob. other stuff. If you open the door(s) after you turn off the car and say your windows are down, you can't roll them up. This is either a theft deterrent thing or a safety thing, not sure, The theft deterrent ECU controls the relay that puts 12V on the switch module and it does that based on a signal from the door open switch and other sensors. In my case I had a bad ground, somewhere, so instead of ripping the car apart, I took off the door skin put a wire lug on one of the studs in the door and attached it to the harness for the master switch module and it fixed my problem.

Rick

Quick Reply: Driver Side Power Window