Sc 300 MPG Improvement!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-11, 05:04 PM
Adaa60
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc 300 MPG Improvement!!!!!

I have been testing a theory i saw on the web about acetone and gas mix

over the last 2 weeks i have been running a mix of 2 ounce's acetone to every 10 gallons of premium gas. each of my fills have been the same gas station & Same pump to lower the variables in my experiment.

i have done this with 4 full tanks of fuel now, My girlfriend and i like to ride in the Sc on the highway So we take a fairly long trip every evening.

Before Acetone
18-19 City 22-23 Hwy

After Acetone
23-25 City 30-33Hwy
Also: Considerable increase in throttle response, Way more pep! And car seems to run Smoother also Less Exhaust smell from pipes.

I have been using Dupli-color Acetone 100% pure

ALSO in colorado, we have to pass emissions, my car passed with much better scores than it did last year, at the same emissions station and no added or new parts.

i just thought you all might like to know, it does help the mpg
And this is where i got the idea from in the first place if you would like to read up on it some

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive
Old 01-23-11, 05:12 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How come "No one has yet reported damage to their engine from acetone being added to the fuel." is crossed out when I view that article on my iPhone. That's probably the most important part, lol. Or is it supposed to be underlined?
Old 01-23-11, 05:16 PM
Adaa60
Rookie

no if you read right after it says after soaking the fuel components there was a very small amount of swelling of the o-rings
Old 01-23-11, 05:20 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it says in one of the articles that Vietnam banned it in gas because it was causeing the seals on motorcycles to degrade and cause engines to die. I could imagine it being safe if you put enough though. I also know of people putting toluene to make ghetto race gas
Old 01-23-11, 05:27 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it sounds to good to be true....

Why hasn't it been in widespread use?
Old 01-23-11, 05:31 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Acetone destroys injection molded plastic, which very important components of your car are made from. Think fuel pump internals, fuel injectors, parts in the fuel filter, and it also swells certain kinds of rubber. Your car will run great once you replace all that stuff, but you won't have saved any money.
Old 01-23-11, 05:34 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBrian81
Acetone destroys injection molded plastic, which very important components of your car are made from. Think fuel pump internals, fuel injectors, parts in the fuel filter, and it also swells certain kinds of rubber. Your car will run great once you replace all that stuff, but you won't have saved any money.
Eathanol has similar effects, do you think acetone in an E85 vehicle would be OK?
Old 01-23-11, 05:38 PM
Adaa60
Rookie

Complete vaporization of fuel is far from perfect in today's cars and trucks. A certain amount of residual fuel in most engines remains liquid in the hot chamber. In order to be fully combusted, the fuel must be fully vaporized.

Surface tension presents an obstacle to vaporization. For instance the energy barrier from surface tension can sometimes force water to reach 300 degrees Fahrenheit before it vaporizes. Similarly with gasoline.

Acetone drastically reduces the surface tension. Most fuel molecules are sluggish with respect to their natural frequency. Acetone has an inherent molecular vibration that "stirs up" the fuel molecules, to break the surface tension. This results in a more complete vaporization with other factors remaining the same. More complete vaporization means less wasted fuel, hence the increased gas mileage from the increased thermal efficiency.

That excess fuel was formerly wasted past the rings or sent out the tailpipe but when mixed with acetone it gets burned, though the engine still thinks it is running straight gas.

Acetone allows gasoline to behave more like the ideal automotive fuel which is PROPANE. The degree of improved mileage depends on how much unburned fuel you are presently wasting. You might gain 15 to 35-percent better economy from the use of acetone. Sometimes even more.
Old 01-23-11, 05:39 PM
Adaa60
Rookie

Additional Benefits

In addition to increased mileage acetone added to fuel boasts other benefits such as increased power, engine life, and performance. Less unburned fuel going past the rings keeps the rings and engine oil in far better condition.

A tiny bit of acetone in diesel fuel can stop the black smoke when the rack is all the way at full throttle. You will notice that the exhaust soot will be greatly reduced and your truck or car runs smoother.

Acetone can reduce hydrocarbon emissions up to 60 percent. In some older cars, the HC readings with acetone in a 1986 GMC went from 440 PPM to 195, as just one example. Though mileage gains taper off with too much acetone, hydrocarbon emissions are nevertheless greatly reduced. Pure acetone is an extremely clean burning fuel that burns in air with a pretty blue, smokeless flame.

Acetone reduces the formation of water-ice crystals in below-zero weather which can damage the fuel filter. Change that fuel filter every year to protect injectors.

There are no known bad effects and every good reason to use acetone in your fuel. I have never seen a problem with acetone, and I have used ACETONE in gasoline and diesel fuel and in jet fuel (JP-4) for 50 years. I have rigorously tested fuels independently (with burns all over me) and am considered an authority on this important subject.
Old 01-23-11, 05:41 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

@QwkSC

I have absolutely no idea. It really depends on the specific parts in the intended vehicle. Some cars can run with acetone forever and some have problems almost right away. It seems that it destroys Honda fuel pumps fairly quickly, I haven't read about Lexus/Toyota yet.

Last edited by FatBrian81; 01-23-11 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-23-11, 05:42 PM
Adaa60
Rookie

Acetone and Your Engine
Acetone is known to deteriorate cheap plastics and other substances. While the components in a car's fuel system should be of high quality, and thus immune to any deleterious effects from exposure to acetone, be aware that "ideal" is not always the case in practice. Be advised that not all systems have been tested against acetone. Until such thorough testing has been accomplished and certified by a accredited authority, you assume your own liability for experimentally testing acetone in your particular system.

No Issues with the Engine Parts

I have soaked carburetor parts in acetone for months and even years to see if there is any deterioration. Any parts made to run with gasoline will work with acetone just fine. I presently have parts soaking in 1, 2, 5, and 10 % acetone/gasoline mixes as well as just gasoline. That is 20 to 200 times too much just to be sure. The 30R7 rated parts are in perfect condition. All my tests have been run with Texaco gasoline. I tested the gas stations in my area to FIRST find the best gasoline BEFORE putting acetone in the tank. But I have no idea from a pragmatic view what other gasolines do except that when I attempt to use them, my MPG drops like a rock. So for purely monetary reasons, I run the best available gasoline. When my dyno is built this summer, I will test all the gasolines in my area and publish the results on the web. I hear from engineers out West that Chevron gas is very good. I used it and it was fine during trips to California. I attach more credence to engineers who report things of interest to me because of their training and knowledge of testing methods. You may want to look up Science and Testing Methods in my site.

All of this was taken from this link

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

i have done a lot of research on this before i chose to run it in my car, i just wanted to share my current results
Old 01-23-11, 05:48 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

The statement in your first paragraph says "use at your own risk", then in the second you say "Any parts made to run with gasoline will work with acetone just fine". Which is it ?

Acetone softens plastic, even plastic that is Hydrocarbon (gasoline) resistant may not be acetone resistant, which is closer to alcohol chemically. The same is true for certain kinds of rubber.

Last edited by FatBrian81; 01-23-11 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-23-11, 05:55 PM
MidloSC
Driver

Here is a similar thread over at toyotanation.com

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...257#post674257
Old 01-23-11, 05:56 PM
Adaa60
Rookie

everything i posted was from the links i posted except my first post, was just trying to help with the questions
Old 01-23-11, 06:26 PM
scforlife
Driver

Sounds like a scam to me. When i read the OP statements, IMO it came accross as that person being a salesman, not a forum member discussing topics with fellow members. Just doesnt sound very smart to use my car as a lab rat to test this stuff out.

Quick Reply: Sc 300 MPG Improvement!!!!!