SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Puddle Light info and Pics Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 11:43 AM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Cool Puddle Light info and Pics Thread

Is there a writeup on the Puddle Lights mod that are simple and easy to do? or its something a professional has to do Please share info/pics if you have done this mod any suggestions that will help make the project easier thanks
Old 01-24-11, 12:43 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its pretty easy to do. Take off your side skirts and use a ruler to make sure they are all spaced out correctly. Drill the holes out and make sure its flush. I wired mine into the fuse that controls my interior lights when my door opens. They turn off when my door closes.

If you get them installed shouldnt be more than $60-80 bucks labor.
Old 02-24-11, 10:08 PM
boostinsc
Racer

have got to bring this one back for some pics and any kind of help on doing this to the sc
Old 02-24-11, 10:41 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I wanna install puddle lights in the door handle, like some newer luxury cars have. Wonder how difficult it would be to get a small LED in there..?
Old 02-24-11, 11:01 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Here are some pics of when I had the puddle lights on my ride....

If you follow eliteskill's steps that's basically what I did. I tapped into the light that's underneath the driver side and put the puddle lights on a metal rail painted flat black and then screwed the ends of the rail onto the side skirt.

In the future I will do this mod again when the car is not my DD and actually put the lights in the side skirt to make the lights more flush and unseen.
Old 02-24-11, 11:14 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
^ I wanna install puddle lights in the door handle, like some newer luxury cars have. Wonder how difficult it would be to get a small LED in there..?
it can be done go for it lmk how it turns out.

[QUOTE=P.R.S.22;6175080]Here are some pics of when I had the puddle lights on my ride....

If you follow eliteskill's steps that's basically what I did. I tapped into the light that's underneath the driver side and put the puddle lights on a metal rail painted flat black and then screwed the ends of the rail onto the side
skirt.

thanks for sharing the pics what kind of metal rail did you use? i might just do it the same way you did btw how did you have it wired up to come on?
Old 02-24-11, 11:31 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by boostinsc
thanks for sharing the pics what kind of metal rail did you use? i might just do it the same way you did btw how did you have it wired up to come on?
Pics for reference on said metal rail....

Just wire tap into the light that comes on underneath the driver side floor and the puddle lights will only come on when you open the door and turn off when you close the door.
Old 02-24-11, 11:56 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Thanks alot man and I forgot to tell you how great it looks on your sc well done sir. The second Pic you posted above under the metal rail what is that Picture showing a light or something?
Old 02-25-11, 02:06 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 02-25-11, 05:53 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny enough, I'm doing this with my supra this weekend . Same setup, only when doors are opened. Good enough for Brabus, good enough for the sup:

Old 02-25-11, 12:27 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by boostinsc
Thanks alot man and I forgot to tell you how great it looks on your sc well done sir. The second Pic you posted above under the metal rail what is that Picture showing a light or something?
Thank you very much Yes the second pic is the actual LED puddle light itself that turns on. There are better ones out there that have just 4 flat LEDs with no big dome covering like I had which would look better and possibly last longer since you would not have to worry about condensation or water building up.

A CL vendor on here sells the flat LED puddle light setup for a good price so I would check the vendor section first.

Originally Posted by Klaus
Funny enough, I'm doing this with my supra this weekend . Same setup, only when doors are opened. Good enough for Brabus, good enough for the sup:

I think it will turn out great Klaus. I like the way the lights are separated in the Brabus. Like I said I would have to try again and see if puddle lights are good for DD over the long haul with a better LED source. From my experience so far they may be better off in a more car show like vehicle or a sunday driver not being used every day.
Old 02-25-11, 01:23 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

None for me, I guess I dont need my puddles lit.
Old 02-25-11, 02:23 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by P.R.S.22
I think it will turn out great Klaus. I like the way the lights are separated in the Brabus. Like I said I would have to try again and see if puddle lights are good for DD over the long haul with a better LED source. From my experience so far they may be better off in a more car show like vehicle or a sunday driver not being used every day.
Thanks I definitely agree! The spacing on the brabus is about perfect. The thing I like about this is it's functional style. I hate parking on a curb at night or in a dark lot and not seeing what I'm about to step out in to. Especially in AZ with our garbage roads!
Old 02-25-11, 03:35 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
None for me, I guess I dont need my puddles lit.
Sir...I know for a fact your car does not need it's puddles lit either....it's perfect just the way it is Haha....I'm sure once your done with the new mods for the car Scott puddle lights will be the last thing on your mind

Originally Posted by Klaus
Thanks I definitely agree! The spacing on the brabus is about perfect. The thing I like about this is it's functional style. I hate parking on a curb at night or in a dark lot and not seeing what I'm about to step out in to. Especially in AZ with our garbage roads!
I agree Klaus. The spacing is just about perfect in the Brabus with the end lights at the very end of the sideskirt. It seems 4 puddle lights are better than the 5 I originally had. If spaced out correctly the 4 lights should do the trick just right.

I think more and more high end car companies will be going towards putting puddle lights in their cars just for that particular reason.....they are certainly functional when you get out of the car and want to see what your stepping into in case it is dark outside and not alot of street lights around.
Old 02-25-11, 08:48 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it. Put it on the list I guess.

Quick Reply: Puddle Light info and Pics Thread