SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC 5 spd REV MATCH experts

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-02, 11:32 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC 5 spd REV MATCH experts

To all the manual drivers out there, how do you guys rev-match?

I've been used to double clutching on my SC300 with pretty good success ->
I'm currently in 4th, I press the clutch down, put the gear into neutral, clutch up, blip the throttle, clutch down, gear into 3rd, slowly let the clutch back up.

That was double clutching. Now, my question is how do you guys rev-match? Here's what I think is how it's done and I've tried several time:
I'm currently in 4th, I press the clutch down, put the gear into neutral, with the clutch still down, I blip the throttle, gear into 3rd, slowly let the clutch back up.

Notice that the only difference is not bring the clutch up again & down (so no 2nd clutch and therefore not 'double' clutching).
Is this correct? Because I was told when I learned to drive stick that you should not have both clutch down and foot on the gas at the same time. That's considered riding your clutch.
Does it hurt my clutch when I have the clutch all the way down and blip the throttle? Please answer if you are an expoert!

Last edited by Legends6spd; 08-14-02 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-14-02, 09:34 PM
SCV8
Instructor

For any given vehicle speed,there's a "matching" rpm,depending on what gear you're in.
So,if you are cruising along at 2500 rpm,and want to down shift,you do the double clutch thing you'd described,except you'd let the clutch back out(engaged) right when the rpm was right for the gear,speed;say 3400 rpm perhaps.
This allows for easier/faster/smoother shifting.
In alot of cars,you can drive without using the clutch,once you're off the line,just by matching the revs,and shifting at the right time.
Old 08-14-02, 10:26 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

SCV8, I realize that. So is the steps I described for blipping the throttle to REV matching correct? By not doing the 2nd clutch? if it works also, then what's the technical difference between that and double clutching? wouldnt it be better since it requires a step fewer and therefore faster?

I need to know if the 2nd step I described is harmful to the clutch.
Old 08-15-02, 04:59 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Double clutching re-aligns the syncro's in the tranny allowing for a smooth shift w/o fear of tearing up the gears. You could miss a shift w/ just rev matching. For street use, rev matching is just fine.
Old 08-15-02, 10:55 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why are you double clutching? are your synchros screwed up or something?

there's absolutely no point otherwise

rev-matching is easy; just blip the throttle up about 1200rpms per gear your going to downshift and slide it into gear and it'll go fine...

it takes fine tuning and practice to make a downshift that doesn't jerk the car

double clutching is something out of "the gay and the curious"
diesel semi-truck guys use it mostly
Old 08-15-02, 11:43 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Hey bean, that's my question here. what do you mean by just blip the throttle up 1200rpms. Can you explain the footwork involved.
Old 08-15-02, 11:44 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Yup,big trucks,Italian cars w/messed up synchros.
Old 08-19-02, 09:39 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

blipping the throttle just means you hit the gas to kick the rpms up... don't hold the gas, just tap it down enough where it kicks up 1200rpms and then shift...
see what i'm saying?

this leads you into the heel-to-toe braking brake with your toe and blip the throttle with your heal when you downshift going into a turn
Old 08-20-02, 02:18 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

arg. i'm going to pull my hair out.
i know that blipping the throttle is quickly tapping on the gas.

what my question is, what do you do w/ the left foot.

let's say u r in 3rd gear, and u want to downshift into 2nd.
please describe every step as I have w/ the 1st post.
Old 08-20-02, 04:49 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

ok, if you're in 3rd gear at about 3000rpms let's say you are not pressing any pedals and you are engine braking up to a turn

since you're at 3k rpms, you need to downshift into 2nd, which will require to have the rpms around 4200-4300 to keep it from jerking too much...

this is assuming you are not touching the brake at all;this is the simplest way...

this is what i do: push in the clutch, downshift to second, blip the throttle where it soars to around 4200rpms; then release the clutch

you can also blip the throttle before downshifting, but i'd do it the other way because of speed and time issues (rpms might fall too much)

after that if you matched the revs correctly, your engine will suddenly start slowing you down a lot more; and there will be little if no jerk to the car
Old 08-20-02, 07:07 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Bean, thanks, that's exactly what i'm looking for. Also exactly what I've been doing.
SO the only difference between rev matching and double clutching is that extra clutch step in which I blip at neutral with clutch out rather than clutch in.

Anyways, I've also tried rev matching when I blipped with the clutch all the way down and the gear still in 3rd. That's okay too right? Since I'm in 3rd, I stepped the clutch all the way done, blip the throttle and shift to 2nd, then clutch out. Seem to work the same.

Double clutching felt a lil smoother when I shifted but more work and slower. just my thought.
Old 08-21-02, 02:32 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

yeah thats what i was saying... you can do it either way

if you blip as the last step though you give the motor less time to wind down

clutch in, downshift, blip throttle, clutch out

takes practice, but its worth it once you're done

double clutching is TOTALLY pointless from ANY performance standpoint... all its used for is for cars that have bad synchros or vehicles that have NO synchros

more crap from the FnF that was BS