SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1j/2j turbo single w/ Catalytic Converter? in CA

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-11, 07:30 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bryan767
i passed emissions with the stock setup with flying colors.. better then my fricken honda did. if your tuned see if you get your tuner to make you a lean fuel map.. haha thats kinda sketchy but unless you wanna take it all off.. or re-register your car your kinda out of options. as for the cat, just get 2 hi flow cats in it from magnaflow there like 40 bucks each
I'm pretty much screwed when i have to smog the car in cali. I don't have anything stock to begin with, bought the car with a 1j and didn't come with anything that is emission safe, built to just pollute the atmosphere. Don't want to risk it and spend more money to get it re-tuned and make it run lean specially running a single setup. Where you find the $40 cats? Only cat or cats i can find are about $200 that can work with my exhaust which is 3" till the resonators.

Last edited by TRDmike; 01-31-11 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-31-11, 08:01 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look under universal! -ill edit with a link

just get a 3" in/out hi flow. youll have to pull the part number and go to ebay to find them for 40 bucks. thats what i had to do with one of my other cars

http://www.car-sound.com/02product/d...niversal=41409

http://www.car-sound.com/02product/d...niversal=45009

http://www.car-sound.com/02product/d...niversal=46009

Last edited by bryan767; 01-31-11 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-31-11, 08:33 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way to pass emissions in CA is to have someone hook you up.
Old 01-31-11, 09:07 PM

with a jdm 2jz/1jz you will never pass with ca smog. But i agree with you i will be adding a cat to my car and muffler.

my little story.

last friday night after work around 3am i was on the freeway and got pulled over on the freeway for speeding but it was 3am and i was just driving with traffic. cop said " i was following another car then i heard your loud *** car" i got lucky and had a nice chat with him about how bad the night went at work $ and thank god he let me go after he breathalyzed me. but i know he smelled the gas smell and right be for he left he stared at the boost gauge and super afc and then looking at my wheels and said " do you rub at all?"

next time if i ever get pulled over during the day for any reason i'm sure a d!!ck highway patrol with look under the car and see there is nothing but a 3inch pipe then it will give him a excuse to look under the hood...

i will be adding a cat or a cat dummy soon and a muffler or resinators to help with the smell and quiet the car.

fyi CHP are not stupid....
Old 01-31-11, 09:08 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if your gonna get a hi flow cat its not even gonna filter much out so whats the point? honestly all turbo cars have stinky smell. if you are really worried get this stuff and your exhaust will smell like cherries. literally...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOC-19769-19/ i want some too. srsly ont bother with cats and if you really want you can still run dual tips with a single turbo that doesn't matter. but performance wise go single exit and open piping. thats what i have and im loving it it sounds AMAZING!
Old 01-31-11, 09:17 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djkevin510
with a jdm 2jz/1jz you will never pass with ca smog.
that's only true if your car is 96+ IIRC. OBD-II vehicles get hooked up to the smog machine and "talk" to it electronically.
Old 01-31-11, 09:39 PM

Oh I always thought because the jdm did not have any of the egr stuff that it would not pass but with a usdm supra 2jzgte you can get the egr stuff and I think legal get it bar with the usdm 2jzgte.
Old 01-31-11, 09:53 PM

Ok A's for the thread the only answer I can give you for smog is to make good friends with smog shop owners and expect to pay 150-350 for a smog or keep your stock stuff and put the car back to stock when it's time for smog

Another option is to go usdm 2jzgte swap.

Put a cat or a cat dummy just incase. It's not legal to not have a cat in ca. If you get pulled over by a unhappy chp that knows what he is looking for I'm sure the first thing he will look at is your exhuast then it will lead him to your swap. Scarryyyyyy
Old 01-31-11, 09:56 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

keven no, no kevin, NOOOO! dude unless ur 100 percent positive dont say stuff.. for it to be barred needs to be full mk4 usdm supra including full exhaust and all factory parts. EVERYTHING. air box lines exhaust cats all the shaboom... youd be better off converting it to propane and getting it smog exempt as a natural gas vehicle and then swap anything you want into it.
Old 01-31-11, 10:17 PM

Geeez ehh I forget how much $$ it would really cost might As well just buy a mk4 yea it looks like making friends with a smog shop is the only way to go. "I did"
Old 01-31-11, 10:42 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
keven no, no kevin, NOOOO! dude unless ur 100 percent positive dont say stuff.. for it to be barred needs to be full mk4 usdm supra including full exhaust and all factory parts. EVERYTHING. air box lines exhaust cats all the shaboom... youd be better off converting it to propane and getting it smog exempt as a natural gas vehicle and then swap anything you want into it.
No, no that is for getting your car "officially" registered with an engine swap.

Last edited by account2x; 01-31-11 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-01-11, 09:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I wouldn't run without a cat in cali, as the OP said if a cop actually checks and it isn't there they will have reason to check out everything else. it only costs like $70 + labor to weld it. just weld a magnaflow cat on there and call it a day. it could save you some harrassment in the longrun. you can pass a sniffer with a magnaflow from what ive heard, but your problem will be visual inspection. running a non barred jdm engine, I wouldnt give them any extra reasons to pop your hood.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-01-11 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-01-11, 10:16 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember trying to smog my car a year ago back home in San Diego and right when they open my hood personnel just said: "i can't help you"... Tried a smog place my brother in law knew that usually gives the hook up got busted couple weeks back before i got there and they weren't able to help me as well. Luckily, person i bought the car from hooked it up and sent a passed smog cause i couldn't register the car under my name without a valid smog test that passed.

To add on top of that, my waste gate is open. Use to be welded to my exhaust but last shop i sent it to decided to make it vent out to the atmosphere without me knowing till i picked up the car due to not able to work on my transmission without cutting the pipe connected to the wastegate.

Was thinking in doing a USDM 2j gte swap but seemed that i was already wasting enough money already plus i already have a Aristo 2jz gte block sitting in my garage in a box just have to find internals.

Last edited by TRDmike; 02-01-11 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-02-11, 01:15 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by account2x
that's only true if your car is 96+ IIRC. OBD-II vehicles get hooked up to the smog machine and "talk" to it electronically.
nope it wont pass visual still...i took smog class!

Originally Posted by djkevin510
Oh I always thought because the jdm did not have any of the egr stuff that it would not pass but with a usdm supra 2jzgte you can get the egr stuff and I think legal get it bar with the usdm 2jzgte.
like i said you need all that extra stuff.

Originally Posted by account2x
No, no that is for getting your car "officially" registered with an engine swap.
thats the same thing it needs to be BAR'ed, i took smog class i would know..

Originally Posted by TRDmike
I remember trying to smog my car a year ago back home in San Diego and right when they open my hood personnel just said: "i can't help you"... Tried a smog place my brother in law knew that usually gives the hook up got busted couple weeks back before i got there and they weren't able to help me as well. Luckily, person i bought the car from hooked it up and sent a passed smog cause i couldn't register the car under my name without a valid smog test that passed.

To add on top of that, my waste gate is open. Use to be welded to my exhaust but last shop i sent it to decided to make it vent out to the atmosphere without me knowing till i picked up the car due to not able to work on my transmission without cutting the pipe connected to the wastegate.

Was thinking in doing a USDM 2j gte swap but seemed that i was already wasting enough money already plus i already have a Aristo 2jz gte block sitting in my garage in a box just have to find internals.
yea man just try and find a hook up. that's the only way or make sure it passes the sniffer and find a place that doesn't care about any visuals. my thinking is if it burns clean who cares what i have if you want the environment to be clean its clean if you wanna be a jerk and bug me that's a different story..
Old 02-02-11, 02:23 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
nope it wont pass visual still...
Who cares. Plenty of shops that don't and a hell of a lot of technicians that don't know what stock looks like. You think that minimum smog technician has memorized every car's engine bay? Please.

Quick Reply: 1j/2j turbo single w/ Catalytic Converter? in CA