SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1j/2j turbo single w/ Catalytic Converter? in CA

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-11, 08:36 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1j/2j turbo single w/ Catalytic Converter? in CA

Just wanted to find out if anyone on here is running a cat with a single set up? Specially, to whom resides in Cali?
Asking because I'm planning in putting a magnaflow cat on my car which pollutes badly. Especially, when i move back to Cali in the future and don't want to get pulled over.
I bought my car from a member on here a year ago that came with a custom exhaust system in which is not too great and mufflers need to be replaced.
Future plan is to replace my mufflers to fireball megas and put on a magnaflow cat.
Open to any input on this specially from other turbo SC's on here.
Old 01-30-11, 08:52 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OneJay was running a 1JZ and going to school in Cali IIRC, you should PM him.
Old 01-30-11, 10:15 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Were you going to put the CAT on to reduce emissions or for inspection?
Old 01-30-11, 10:51 PM
R3Y
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that seems like a good idea. luckily, for me i dont get tested since florida doesn't have emissions laws
Old 01-31-11, 02:58 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

why do you want to waste money on a cat when its a single turbo its never gonna pass smog to begin with. let it flow open 3" for the win. onejay doesnt even count he is Colorado registered..
Old 01-31-11, 06:04 AM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
why do you want to waste money on a cat when its a single turbo its never gonna pass smog to begin with. let it flow open 3" for the win. onejay doesnt even count he is Colorado registered..
My car is registered in California... i should just register my car in Georgia but not planning to be here forever.
Does seem like a waste of money specially being 1j... not going to pass smog either way. I just don't want to get pulled over and knowing my luck having a cop behind me will definitely pull me over. (Had a friend behind me on the road and told me they can smell/breath the pollution from my car) I believe I'm running 3" till the unknown mufflers on my car. Tempted to just go single but liking the look of dual exhaust.

Last edited by TRDmike; 01-31-11 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-31-11, 07:48 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

Colorado Is running emissions now and it took me a few times some tuning and A cat for a 5.9 liter Truck to get it to pass. I would say Buy a cat and build a Flanged section in your exhaust so you can insert it when inspection happns and Take it out when you want a little more performance. And so that it survives for more then a few thousand miles
Old 01-31-11, 08:43 AM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Triple C
Colorado Is running emissions now and it took me a few times some tuning and A cat for a 5.9 liter Truck to get it to pass. I would say Buy a cat and build a Flanged section in your exhaust so you can insert it when inspection happns and Take it out when you want a little more performance. And so that it survives for more then a few thousand miles
I checked out magnaflows website and found couple of 3" in/out cats. That's not a bad idea in having a flanged section. Will put that into consideration if i actually do it and find a decent exhaust shop.
Old 01-31-11, 11:11 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

i agree with Triple C, having it flanged or a seperate exhaust with a good cat on it is a good idea as the extra fuel from boosting can burn up the cat pretty quickly.
Old 01-31-11, 12:47 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
i agree with Triple C, having it flanged or a seperate exhaust with a good cat on it is a good idea as the extra fuel from boosting can burn up the cat pretty quickly.
I noticed my passenger exhaust muffler is pretty badly burnt inside, has been rattling for a while but don't have the money at the moment to replace/upgrade.
Old 01-31-11, 03:57 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Cleanshots is correct. Either way you will not pass. Get a muffler that's not to flashy and resonators. Go dual and I think it won't be that loud. Good luck when smog times comes around.
Old 01-31-11, 04:31 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ What? He has a 92 SC300 = OBD-I. Car tuned stoich + place that doesn't care bout visual + 2 stock cats = Pass.
Old 01-31-11, 05:21 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

I agree with clean shots, dont waste your money getting a cat. Im running 3" all the way with only a resonator. Itl stink if the car is warming up in the garage, but its perfectly fine when im on the road.
Old 01-31-11, 06:55 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
I agree with clean shots, dont waste your money getting a cat. Im running 3" all the way with only a resonator. Itl stink if the car is warming up in the garage, but its perfectly fine when im on the road.
Mine is pretty bad when starting up, i back up half way out of the garage when warming the car up. I just wonder in how I'm going to pass smog in the future only have the SC as a daily but tempted to get another car for daily use.

Last edited by TRDmike; 01-31-11 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-31-11, 07:14 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

i passed emissions with the stock setup with flying colors.. better then my fricken honda did. if your tuned see if you get your tuner to make you a lean fuel map.. haha thats kinda sketchy but unless you wanna take it all off.. or re-register your car your kinda out of options. as for the cat, just get 2 hi flow cats in it from magnaflow there like 40 bucks each

Quick Reply: 1j/2j turbo single w/ Catalytic Converter? in CA