SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HID Advice DDM Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 09:28 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh yeah, I had to do that whole thing also, but for the fogs instead of soldering them together, I just soldered each side with a male and female terminal so I can remove it easily if I need to. But no harness whatsoever, I just had to flip the terminals for the ballasts 'cause its reverse polarity, like TechGreek said(but I was warned earlier by the guys from DDM Tuning about it.)
Old 07-09-11, 10:24 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually cut the stock male end off the stock harness so the only way you can tell it's not factory is the extra box.
Old 07-12-11, 08:14 AM
Taznific3n
Rookie

i just order a set of ddm HIDS cant wait to get them i use have a set from ddm in my old civic they were really good
Old 07-12-11, 09:54 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by baodalazi
did yall get the hid harness also?
I bought the harness, but I didn't hook it up.

My friend got the DDM 55 watt kit and uses the harness though. If you used the 55 watt kit, you probably should use the harness just in case.
Old 07-24-11, 10:26 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I bought the harness, but I didn't hook it up.

My friend got the DDM 55 watt kit and uses the harness though. If you used the 55 watt kit, you probably should use the harness just in case.
What does the harness do?
Old 07-26-11, 10:17 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Be careful with 55W HID kits. DDM openly admits to using 35W bulbs powered by 55W ballasts meaning that the ballasts are overdriving the 35W bulbs. This will cause the bulbs to burn HOTTER and burn out prematurely. Additional heat may damage your vehicle's headlights.

Steve
Old 07-27-11, 07:43 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Be careful with 55W HID kits. DDM openly admits to using 35W bulbs powered by 55W ballasts meaning that the ballasts are overdriving the 35W bulbs. This will cause the bulbs to burn HOTTER and burn out prematurely. Additional heat may damage your vehicle's headlights.

Steve
I haven't had any problems with my 55w kit, but I noticed they do run a little hotter than normal. Will. 55w bulb cure the heat issue or should I just go ahead and get a 35w ballast?

Thanks Steve
Old 07-27-11, 11:39 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
I haven't had any problems with my 55w kit, but I noticed they do run a little hotter than normal. Will. 55w bulb cure the heat issue or should I just go ahead and get a 35w ballast?

Thanks Steve
Here's the thing people, HID were created because the conventional halogen bulb creates heat, not bright enough/brightness is not uniform, high wattage, and pretty much it's old technology. HID is only 35watts originally, and compared to halogen it runs from 55-75watts. So why do you need to get a 55watt HID? To be brighter? Where are you planning to use it? Streets or off-road? The 55watt HID is mainly used for off-road and applications of such, like flashing Batman's logo into the sky, then you'd probably need the 55watt HID.
Old 07-27-11, 01:29 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kingphilip
Here's the thing people, HID were created because the conventional halogen bulb creates heat, not bright enough/brightness is not uniform, high wattage, and pretty much it's old technology. HID is only 35watts originally, and compared to halogen it runs from 55-75watts. So why do you need to get a 55watt HID? To be brighter? Where are you planning to use it? Streets or off-road? The 55watt HID is mainly used for off-road and applications of such, like flashing Batman's logo into the sky, then you'd probably need the 55watt HID.
Well said, I think 55w is too bright I gotta admit over here in texas too many trucks have them and it is soo blinding that i have to squint to see the road and drive pass them. Hazard? I think so. 35watt should be enough.
Old 07-27-11, 01:56 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BigBang
Well said, I think 55w is too bright I gotta admit over here in texas too many trucks have them and it is soo blinding that i have to squint to see the road and drive pass them. Hazard? I think so. 35watt should be enough.
Well, here in Cali, we can't even get an 8K or higher or you'd risk getting pulled over for being too bright.
Old 07-27-11, 02:17 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kingphilip
Well, here in Cali, we can't even get an 8K or higher or you'd risk getting pulled over for being too bright.
Yeah i've noticed, it's pretty strict over there on tint and lighting etc. How could they tell if you had an 8k of ddms? Cause I have 8k on my celica and it looks white to me.
Old 07-30-11, 08:32 PM
lexus95
Driver

i heard they were suppose to stop carrying there hids a while back but they're still on the site so im not sure if i want to get a kit from them or someone else
Old 07-30-11, 09:13 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BigBang
Yeah i've noticed, it's pretty strict over there on tint and lighting etc. How could they tell if you had an 8k of ddms? Cause I have 8k on my celica and it looks white to me.
That's the thing, they just judge it based on the brightness, I guess if they get blinded by your lights that's grounds for them to pull you over..

I usually visit DDM Tuning since they're near my place, they didn't mention anything about stopping selling HID's guys. The back order back then was only a temporary issue with customs and manufacturing from China.
Old 08-14-11, 03:08 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Do you guys get the fat raptor one or the slims for the low beam? They are both the same, just different sizes depending on the room you have in the headlight area. We can fit raptors in there right?
Old 08-14-11, 04:03 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

If I were you I'd get the slims. Less weight, so you can pretty much use a double adhesive tape to mount them. I mounted all 4 of my ballasts at the aluminum support of the front bumpers.

Quick Reply: HID Advice DDM Tuning