SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Metal Radiator VS. Aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 10:49 AM
Mr1uz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal Radiator VS. Aluminum

I'm looking to upgrade my factory radiator to one that is more durable and good for overall performance when I decide tune my SC and get turbo and all that other good stuff in the future. I just want to know between metal & aluminum radiators are they both equally good or is one better than the other? Which do you guys recommend??
Old 02-01-11, 10:50 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

koyo radiator. run that ull be good with any engine and get a pair or one zirgo fan off summit racing.
Old 02-01-11, 10:54 AM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

a supra tt radiator will also do the job aswel
Old 02-01-11, 11:02 AM
Mr1uz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Li Ls4
Originally Posted by Cleanshots
koyo radiator. run that ull be good with any engine and get a pair or one zirgo fan off summit racing.
Thanks guys for this information! I really appreciate it! This information has definitely been helpful indeed!
Old 02-01-11, 11:04 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Koyo, Megan, Mishimoto, Fluidine all have good reviews, but check the warranties too...I went with a Mishimoto simply due to the no questions warranty.

But to stay on topic, aluminum will dissipate heat faster than steel, thus providing more efficient cooling.
Old 02-01-11, 11:08 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a griffin aluminum rad it leaks but my car still wont heatup so I mean they must be good. I will be upgrading to the Mishimoto with T-Stat and silicone hoses though
Old 02-01-11, 11:28 AM
Mr1uz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Koyo, Megan, Mishimoto, Fluidine all have good reviews, but check the warranties too...I went with a Mishimoto simply due to the no questions warranty.

But to stay on topic, aluminum will dissipate heat faster than steel, thus providing more efficient cooling.
Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
I got a griffin aluminum rad it leaks but my car still wont heatup so I mean they must be good. I will be upgrading to the Mishimoto with T-Stat and silicone hoses though
Im learning so much right now. So I will definitely go with an aluminum radiator for sure, most likely Koyo. I will look up those other brands as well. Thanks for all this info! It is much appreciated! You guys are the BEST!
Old 02-01-11, 01:42 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

The hot coolant from the engine flows into the inlet tank of the radiator and flows through the tubes to the outlet tank. the heat of the coolant is absorbed by the fins which are colder than the coolant. In turn, the colder air passing through the fins absorbs the heat from the fins. The fluid, now cooled flows back into the engine and absorbs the heat from the engine and goes back through the radiator to be cooled

typically radiators are made from either copper&brass or aluminum

aluminum is the better material because it dissipates heat more efficiently, aluminum also has more strength, which means they can put larger tubes and fewer rows

lets say you have two radiators... radiator-A is 2in thick with 2 rows, radiator-B is 2in thick and has 3 rows

Radiator A will cool better because theres more surface area contacting the fins. With 3 rows you have more wasted space between the rows.

in conclusion get the thickest aluminum radiator with the least amount of rows
Old 02-01-11, 01:56 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Li Ls4
That's what I'm running. Have a few friends with Supras in 700+ HP range running stock radiators.

Do the aftermarket aluminum unit show a significant drop in temps?
Old 02-01-11, 02:00 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93MSB
The hot coolant from the engine flows into the inlet tank of the radiator and flows through the tubes to the outlet tank. the heat of the coolant is absorbed by the fins which are colder than the coolant. In turn, the colder air passing through the fins absorbs the heat from the fins. The fluid, now cooled flows back into the engine and absorbs the heat from the engine and goes back through the radiator to be cooled

aluminum is the better material because it dissipates heat more efficiently, aluminum also has more strength, which means they can put larger tubes and fewer rows

lets say you have two radiators... radiator-A is 2in thick with 2 rows, radiator-B is 2in thick and has 3 rows

Radiator A will cool better because theres more surface area contacting the fins. With 3 rows you have more wasted space between the rows.

Actually, copper transfers heat better than aluminum. Poorly made copper core radiators have large insulating solder joints that reduce overall transfer, but aluminum being so beneficial in the weight/cost category is the reason that it is used.
Old 02-01-11, 08:58 PM
Mr1uz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 93MSB

Thanks for this information mate! This is very educational and essential to know. I learn so much here at CL! I appreciate the advise and help from you all. Thanks once again! I will use this knowledge wisely!
Old 02-10-11, 06:29 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr1uz
Thanks for this information mate! This is very educational and essential to know. I learn so much here at CL! I appreciate the advise and help from you all. Thanks once again! I will use this knowledge wisely!
Please ignore the part that aluminum transfers heat better than copper... That is false... Dont need more mismatched bum****ed information floating around on CL.
Old 02-10-11, 07:59 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

While we're clarifying things, we might as well point out that "metal vs. aluminum" is a nonsensical comparison; aluminum IS metal
Old 02-10-11, 08:20 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by good2go
While we're clarifying things, we might as well point out that "metal vs. aluminum" is a nonsensical comparison; aluminum IS metal
Yea and not to get technical, buuuut you can't say "aluminum is stronger than copper" because either one can be stronger than the other depending on the processing used.
Old 02-10-11, 10:57 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

like 99% of modern cars use brass radiators... not copper since the price of copper is so damn high.

Last edited by RedPhoenix; 02-10-11 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Metal Radiator VS. Aluminum