new sc400 owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-02, 10:05 AM
bkeros
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new sc400 owner

Hey all,

After two years of nagging, I finally got my cousin to sell me his very clean, mechanically sound, stone stock, 1992 SC400 a while ago. What a sweet car! As I am new to Lexus ownership, I was wondering the following:

1) What are the best "bang for the buck" mods? I am interested in getting some more horsies out of 'er, but not in sinking big $$$ to do so. Being realistic, I'm not looking to build a 350hp power wagon on a budget. Bear in mind that the car has 114K on it.

2) I have precious few records on the car, and suspect that the cam chain may have never been changed, nor the valves adjusted, etc. I plan on doing much of the 90K service myself, but I was wondering what I should expect to pay for the 90K service (assuming it includes cam chain replacement).

3) I only know of two dealers in the Detroit area...anyone have the scoop on either one?

Any other random facts, links, advice, etc. you can suggest would be great.

Thx. in advance!
Old 08-16-02, 10:19 AM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your new SC and welcome!

The V8 has a timing belt, not a chain. Replacement interval is 90K - I got a quote from a dealer of ~$400 for replacement - good time to replace the water pump since it has to come off with the timing case cover - and while the cooling system is opened up, have the system flushed and change the thermostat. New serpentine belt at thesame time too - -

Be sure your power steering pump has no signs of leaks - it's a known issue - and the leaking fluid will ruin the alternator - the ps pump can be rebuilt including in&out labor for about $450, the cost of a new pump alone.
Old 08-16-02, 11:16 AM
bkeros
Driver School Candidate

Strong sail -

thanks for the good advice. I'll definitely do the water pump as well as belts & thermostat at the same time. What should the total charge for this be?

Power steering pump definitley leaks...and it's leaking right onto the alternator! I put the car up on a lift, and noticed while changing the oil that the pump had been leaking nicely. It definitely looks like an alternator-ruining situation! I'll ask them about rebuilding the pump and in&out labor.

What lse is involved in the 90K service? Valve adjust? How much should that cost?

Thanks for the advice - any anyone else who has a few thoughts please share them!
Old 01-13-03, 12:01 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Check out Meade Lexus

im in michigan also...i have been dealing with meade lexus...they are fine so far....but i order my parts from spartan motors in lansing and i get a huge discount...
Old 01-14-03, 05:14 PM
bkeros
Driver School Candidate

Default SC400

Cool,

I'm Dealing with Carson Toyota over the net, but Ann Arbor Lexus will be getting my local biz. I've not many good things at all about Meade - Ann Arbor however seems to get good reviews. I live closer to Meade, but work near Ann Arbor.

Other than that, I'm ordering a bunch of new parts for the SC - Water pump, PS pump, wires, rotors & caps, fuel filter, timing belt & serpentine belt. She's only got 120K miles on her, and so far runs like a champ. The body's in great shape, and although there are a few interior issues (cracking in door panel, right pass window button no-workie), but otherwise awesome.

New shocks are in the picture pretty soon also.

I like it better than the '02 IS 300....
Old 01-14-03, 07:37 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

cool what color is your car im usually pretty keen to seeing SC's in the area...mine is pearl white...
Old 01-14-03, 08:52 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

bkeros,

If you know your way around car, I suggest buy the repair manual for the car either from Carson Toyota or anywhere that give you the cheapest price. I have a mechanic friend that ordered these for me and I Paid~$130 total for two volume repair manual and one electrical manual.

Better buy the rebuild P/S pump and Alternator for Autozoneor NAPA and replace that yourself. Bet you save at least $300-$500 on labor.

With this manual you can change the timing belt yourself.

THE_CEO,

Can you post the price of part you get from your local dealer to see if it is lower than Carson? We always need to find the cheapest parts store...

Last edited by VQT; 01-14-03 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-14-03, 10:25 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

I got my manual on E-bay $35.00...it was on CD rom.

if carson toyota is part of parts.com then we will have the same price. Spartan Motor/Lexus of Lansing is part of parts.com...if you mention club lexus you get a nice discount...

So far I have had minimal problems...really none...just i need to replace an A/C bulg which was 5.00...and i got an oil change.
Old 01-14-03, 10:41 PM
bkeros
Driver School Candidate

Default yeah...

I definitely know my way around a car....hadn't really considered going to NAPA, although 'prolly should. The car has 120K on it right now, and can see hiting 150K no prob before I even consider getting another car. Given this, I 'prolly should consider rebuilt stuff. The P/S pump retails for ~$475 - Steve at Carson will sell it to me for $338. This still seems like a hell of a lot of money for a P/S pump, but it will be genuine OEM - brand new.

Anybody have any experience with NAPA rebuilt stuff?
Old 01-14-03, 10:43 PM
bkeros
Driver School Candidate

hey CEO - Mine is dark green metallic with tan leather. I've had the damn thing for two years & 40K miles, and STILL look at it and go "wow, that's a sweet car." Damn thing!
Old 01-14-03, 10:46 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Default I still love my car... just as i did when i got it

yeah i do the double take look when i walk away from my car...and some time i look out the window just to see if its ok when im at work....lol...crazy but true!
Old 01-14-03, 11:00 PM
bkeros
Driver School Candidate

**** man, I've had the thing for two years...and still do that!

Where do you live? I was at 14 mile & woodward until a few weeks ago - now in Sylvan Lake.
Old 01-14-03, 11:25 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

im living either in Bloomfield Hills or Rochester....... i work at 13 mile & telegraph...hmmm where do you work and do you have a pearl car without the rear spoiler?
Old 01-14-03, 11:27 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

oops sorry a green car without the spoiler!..
Old 01-15-03, 08:51 PM
LexFather

Welcome and congrats!!!

Quick Reply: new sc400 owner