SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

OEM Power Steering Hose for $660 or Braided Stainless Steel for $65

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 06:50 PM
VanillaSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one know exactly why they are listed as 2 separate parts? I thought the pressure hose was just one piece?
Old 02-07-11, 07:04 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

Would you happen to know what's the inside diameter. I wonder if I could make myself one at work since I have a roll of 3,000+ psi hydraulic hose laying around.
Old 02-07-11, 10:57 PM
FiSta
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Luxor
I'm curious, this hose gets rid of the two sensors located at each end, does it affect steering at low or high speeds?
have mine on roughly over a year now with no real issues. only thing is if you don't use don't use those sensors, your idle will drop. like mine goes a tick below 1k when warm and when i turn the steering wheel it will drop some more.

another thing i notice is after installing this hose, it whines when i turn at low speeds. any thoughts on that?
Old 02-10-11, 04:06 PM
VanillaSC
Driver

Update:
I ordered the edelmann hoses and dropped them off at the shop where my SC is at, compared it to the old hoses and the fittings match. Just to be safe I ordered the top hose that comes off the resevoir from the local lexus dealer for $28. And I'm also having the TM Engineering steering rack bushings put on (I ordered them a few months ago and never put them on). So I should have my car back by beginning of next week with basically all new power steering.
Old 02-10-11, 05:50 PM
Gimpster
Driver

Good to know! Thats a reasonable price for those two hoses.

Originally Posted by VanillaSC
Update:
I ordered the edelmann hoses and dropped them off at the shop where my SC is at, compared it to the old hoses and the fittings match. Just to be safe I ordered the top hose that comes off the resevoir from the local lexus dealer for $28. And I'm also having the TM Engineering steering rack bushings put on (I ordered them a few months ago and never put them on). So I should have my car back by beginning of next week with basically all new power steering.
Old 02-16-11, 09:36 AM
jer_con
Rookie

Hey Vanilla....

I'm debating on ordering these hoses myself and was hoping you might have some feedback soon from the installation. Thanks!

Originally Posted by VanillaSC
Update:
Old 02-16-11, 11:36 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

guys,

just FYI:

1. the driftmotion stainless hose does not have the vacuum port on it --the thing with two vacuum lines coming off it. this port creates an air bypass (metered 'vacuum leak') to raise the idle when the power steering pressure goes up.
at a ~$500 cost savings (wow!) most of us are going to say "who cares," but you should all know your idle will dip down considerably when you turn the steering wheel.

2. there is a power steering pressure sensor at the bottom of the SC300 line that is absent on the aftermarket units as well. i am not sure what the purpose of this sensor is off the top of my head. anyone feel free to check it out in the FSM

can someone post pics of the edelmann hose? i couldnt find this hose in edelmann's online catalog (application lookup) or on Gates' website.

Last edited by cartmill; 02-16-11 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-16-11, 12:10 PM
jer_con
Rookie

Look on RockAuto.com. The Eldemenn site does not provide a pic but they are there. I took the vacuum ports off of my hose when I changed the rack and welded the adapter closed. My SC idle doesn't change much when I turn the wheel.

Originally Posted by cartmill
guys,

just FYI:

1. the driftmotion stainless hose does not have the vacuum port on it --the thing with two vacuum lines coming off it. this port creates an air bypass (metered 'vacuum leak') to raise the idle when the power steering pressure goes up.
at a ~$500 cost savings (wow!) most of us are going to say "who cares," but you should all know your idle will dip down considerably when you turn the steering wheel.

2. there is a power steering pressure sensor at the bottom of the SC300 line that is absent on the aftermarket units as well. i am not sure what the purpose of this sensor is off the top of my head. anyone feel free to check it out in the FSM

can someone post pics of the edelmann hose? i couldnt find this hose in edelmann's online catalog (application lookup) or on Gates' website.
Old 02-16-11, 05:57 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up my hose for $45 at G&J who I believe makes these hoses for DM. Install was easy, took me 30 mins but hadnt had a chance to test it out cause the front main seal is leaking again.
Old 02-16-11, 06:05 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

so about to order the Supra TT line, anyone tried it? as the oP said he heard that it works, its only like 50bucks so i guess i'll give it a try when i replace my p/s rack.
Old 02-28-11, 09:27 AM
jer_con
Rookie

I ordered the braided SC400 High Pressure PS line from Drifmotion. It looks just fine to me; hoping to get some time to install it this week.

Originally Posted by MDSC
so about to order the Supra TT line, anyone tried it? as the oP said he heard that it works, its only like 50bucks so i guess i'll give it a try when i replace my p/s rack.
Old 02-28-11, 09:41 AM
outlaw0209
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Going to order one this week. Mine is leaking from this past drift event.

The hose will work. Those sensors are not mandatory, or else they wouldn't sell it and people wouldn't run them. I'd rather pay 65 and sacrifice my idle for a hose that probably will never leak, rather than a 300+ dollar stock hose which can later leak as well.

Then again I drift. So more than likely a stock hose will definitely leak again. Some of you don't so it probably won't.
Old 02-28-11, 11:16 AM
VanillaSC
Driver

Originally Posted by jer_con
Hey Vanilla....

I'm debating on ordering these hoses myself and was hoping you might have some feedback soon from the installation. Thanks!
The edelmann hoses worked just fine. I had the hoses, pump, and vacuum switch replaced along with daizen steering rack bushings and my steering is as good as new now.
Old 03-03-11, 08:25 PM
khailon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MDSC
anyone tried to install the Supra TT line onto sc300?
Old 03-04-11, 02:15 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,236 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by khailon
anyone tried to install the Supra TT line onto sc300?
I'd like to know this too. I'm going to replacing my high pressure hose soon and I'd like to avoid buying the Lexus part.

Quick Reply: OEM Power Steering Hose for $660 or Braided Stainless Steel for $65