SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

OEM Power Steering Hose for $660 or Braided Stainless Steel for $65

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-11, 11:33 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking OEM Power Steering Hose for $660 or Braided Stainless Steel for $65

My high pressure power steering pump hose has been seeping fluid since I first purchased the car a 5 years ago but I have been delaying it up until now since it is not a catastrophic failure and the price at the stealership is a complete rip-off. The stealership's price for a brand new hose is an exorbitant $660.24 MSRP, or a little less for $464.40 at Lexus of Pembroke Pines, and there are no aftermarket ones at O'Reillys, Autozone, or Pep Boys.

Finally, instead of dumping money into mods, even though it is just a nuissance to me, I decided to get the problem fixed. My only other option was to get the hose fixed at any local hydraulic hose place after seeing many of the guys on here going with that route for $50 bucks plus or minus.

So, I brought the Hose-Man in La Mirada, expecting that it would cost me in that range, which is reasonable. However, these guys quoted me a whopping $220 to fix it. What business has the audacity to charge $220 to fix a rubber hose in this economy? New power steering hoses for other vehicles go for MUCH LESS anyways at the Autozone. $220 is straight up highway robbery! Moreoever, the customer service was pretty subpar.

Needless to say, I left to look for another hydraulic shop but a friend informed me that a local shop called DriftMotion that specializes in 1JZ/2jz Supras and Cressidas stock a stainless steel braided one. I quickly headed out to that shop and picked up the hose for $65 and here it is

Before the install, we noticed that OEM has sensors while the Driftmotion obviously did not have sensors, as how many people mentioned it here in the thread. I have Aaron from Driftmotion and call and he answered to provide technical support. Talk about great customer service!!! Aaron said that the sensors are not needed and did not affect the operation of the car and, most importantly, not trigger any Check Engine Light codes. Heres is a snapshot of the hose installed:

The old hose in terrible shape:

Last edited by xknowonex; 03-24-11 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-05-11, 05:06 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i dont see how thats going to work...good luck though
Old 02-05-11, 06:00 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Try to find another hydraulic shop. I had an ac hose for my STS fixed for like $25, it saved me $200 not buying the dealership piece. They might not warranty the new fitting but you could fix it there a dozen times and still be cheaper than the dealer replacement.
Old 02-05-11, 07:38 AM
Hbro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Driftmotion hose solved my problem.
Old 02-05-11, 07:41 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
i dont see how thats going to work...good luck though
One end goes to the pump... one end goes in the rack....
Old 02-05-11, 08:14 AM
SexyLexy
Rookie

Xknowonex would you please take a picture of the the power steering hose in your car? I am trying to identify a hose in my car and am wondering if that is it.
Old 02-05-11, 08:21 AM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Im getting that as soon as mine goes bad. plus the SS one looks waaaay better lol.
Old 02-05-11, 08:35 AM
scottinky
Driver School Candidate

how hard is that hose to replace?
Old 02-05-11, 12:37 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

OEM hose looks like this

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=197147_0_0_

According to Jose Valle from Kaizen Motorsports who specializes in Supras and SCs, the OEM Supra TT from Autozone fits in just fine.

Originally Posted by scottinky
how hard is that hose to replace?
From what I've heard, getting the old one out is tricky because it has many hard lines. But getting the new one is just a screw on affair, and you just have to bleed the system.
Old 02-05-11, 01:12 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good for you bro. Always shop around.
Usually persistence will pay off.

That's is a seriously nice picture for being just a hose
What freaken camera are you using?
Old 02-05-11, 01:19 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lfrers
Good for you bro. Always shop around.
Usually persistence will pay off.

That's is a seriously nice picture for being just a hose
What freaken camera are you using?
Haha thanks just a Canon 40D with a 17-40L lens

Well I posted it up as an informative thread. I've been on for quite a while and I didn't know that there were other alternatives to a $600 oem hose or repairing it up until recently, and I know that it is a common problem for our cars as well
Old 02-05-11, 01:44 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

i have no power steering issues but thanks fopr posting this----its always great to have good references like this when needed.
Old 02-05-11, 01:47 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Im gonna be needing one of these soon cause the GE line isnt fitting my TT pump. I think G&J in Ontario makes their lines.
Old 02-05-11, 03:16 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 349 Likes on 225 Posts

Well let's see it installed. I'm interested incase my hose goes in the future. We know it is going to eventually happen. I've had my car 8 years going on 9 and replaced everything with my parts car, but that is a time sensitive thing you can't let just sit and rot so the hoses are no good on parts cars.

Speaking of highway robbery over a name badge BMW just told me I needed to pay them $265 for an oil change........... I just walked out.
Old 02-05-11, 05:15 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I find this crazy pricing too. I got a brochure in the mail over 3 weeks ago and they BMW oil changes on sale, $50.00 off for a limited time... Now only $199.00 plus tax. What a freaking rip off. They better replace the oil pan gasket, drain plug, and other stuff that price.

Quick Reply: OEM Power Steering Hose for $660 or Braided Stainless Steel for $65