SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What every SC owner should do!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-11, 03:35 PM
outlaw0209
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What every SC owner that drifts should do!

Since I daily/drift my SC, one of things that has always bothered me on the track was not having enough angle. I'd have to compromise how sideways I got in order to stay away from spinning out. I though it was stupid. So I talked with Matt Sevco and Alex Pfeiffer, and got Matt to make a set of modified spindles.

Just picked them up today from him and I have to say, I'm very satisfied with his work. Haven't put them on, but according to him, it'll give me about 20ish degrees more worth of steering angle. Pretty much as much angle as you can get on a stock body before modifying your wheel tubs. Hopefully I get them on next week, and I'll take some before and after shots.

Shooting to make it out to the next drift event on February 25th over here at Firebird in AZ.

Here's the picture.

Last edited by outlaw0209; 02-06-11 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-05-11, 04:43 PM
Sidesweep
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice dude. any idea if these will be going up on battle version's website?
Old 02-05-11, 05:00 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It appears to be nice work. Your white SC is mighty fine. Love the stance and color combo. It reminds me of mine. :=)
Old 02-05-11, 05:10 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

whoa, 20* change?! this is awesome. i know that before, the only option we had was to cut, shorten, and reweld the stock knuckle/spindle. i really wish we had the aftermarket support that the s-chassis people have w/ their super steering angle kits, but this is great news. I'll be watching this for updates. I'm hoping they're close or just as strong as stock.

are you allowed to say ballpark figures of how much that ran you?
Old 02-05-11, 07:05 PM
outlaw0209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ArodDaLob
whoa, 20* change?! this is awesome. i know that before, the only option we had was to cut, shorten, and reweld the stock knuckle/spindle. i really wish we had the aftermarket support that the s-chassis people have w/ their super steering angle kits, but this is great news. I'll be watching this for updates. I'm hoping they're close or just as strong as stock.

are you allowed to say ballpark figures of how much that ran you?
Take a closer look . These are stock knuckles cut and welded. Matt cuts the end where the tie rod connects and shortens it up then welds it back up.

He'll do anyones knuckles for 350.
Old 02-05-11, 07:06 PM
1GStoEnvy
Lexus Champion

i'm thinking of doing the same thing for mine
Old 02-05-11, 07:28 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by outlaw0209
Take a closer look . These are stock knuckles cut and welded. Matt cuts the end where the tie rod connects and shortens it up then welds it back up.

He'll do anyones knuckles for 350.
That looks pretty sick work, let us know how it goes!

is it 350 for both or 350 for each knuckle seperately? Also can you specify how much extra angle you want?
Old 02-05-11, 08:10 PM
outlaw0209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by StiCk3
That looks pretty sick work, let us know how it goes!

is it 350 for both or 350 for each knuckle seperately? Also can you specify how much extra angle you want?
It would be 350 to modify both of your spindles.

Exactly how much extra angle I'll get, I won't know until I measure it once it's on the car. I'll be using a protractor for accuracy. And as far as how much angle "I" want, pretty much as much as I can get without hitting the lower control arm or wheel tubs.

Hopefully, I'll be putting them on this coming Friday.
Old 02-05-11, 08:15 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

ahh alright. i ready 'modified spindle' in the OP but then my brain processed it as 'aftermarket'. my brain == fried from midterms. good mod nonetheless, I hope to do the same before summer comes
Old 02-06-11, 07:14 AM
driftboy
Rookie

I want those spindles! It kinda of does suck that the SC doesnt have as much support like the S-chassis.
Old 02-06-11, 07:42 AM
fazy_uk
Rookie

Very interested in this, it was mentioned before but didnt go anywhere as far as I remember.

Just the parking benefits alone would be great!
Old 02-06-11, 07:52 AM
navazsc3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good
Old 02-06-11, 08:11 AM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

every SC owner does not need this since every Sc owner dosen't Drift. this would be pretty useless to the non-drifter because they dont really need that extra turning radius.

and no thanks to cutting my stock knuckles and having someone weld them. the possibilities of them snapping is not worth my life.
Old 02-06-11, 10:13 AM
outlaw0209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MIGS
every SC owner does not need this since every Sc owner dosen't Drift. this would be pretty useless to the non-drifter because they dont really need that extra turning radius.

and no thanks to cutting my stock knuckles and having someone weld them. the possibilities of them snapping is not worth my life.
Sorry should have been more specific.

And I understand your concern, however, the strength is all dependent on the fabricator. His work has been proven over and over. If his work can withstand countless track days of abuse, then there's no problem with me only tracking my car once every 2 months.

Also, take into consideration what is being cut and welded. The upper and lower control arms easily take most of the abuse, and those sections of the spindles are left untouched. Only section that is modified is where the tie rods bolt on to. If anything were to happen, more than likely, my stock untouched tie rods would break before the spindle would.

So with that being said, I wouldn't do something that would possibly fail in the future. I trust Matt and his work since it's been proven to work over and over and over.
Old 02-06-11, 10:36 AM
Sidesweep
Driver

Originally Posted by ArodDaLob
ahh alright. i ready 'modified spindle' in the OP but then my brain processed it as 'aftermarket'. my brain == fried from midterms. good mod nonetheless, I hope to do the same before summer comes
+1, misread that as well

Quick Reply: What every SC owner should do!