SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cool Japanese Comparison Video - 4.0L, 2.5GT, 850i, Legend

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-11, 08:30 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had two legends one type 2 6 speed and one type1 auto. Also had sc400. Trust me when I say legends are fairly quick. Type 2 6 speed I had gave my buddy's e36 m3 a hard time on hwy runs. It's true sc400's are that slow on stock form at least.
Old 02-10-11, 09:05 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

Here's the link to another Soarer video from the same series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pquwf...eature=related.

I wish my piece of crap SC could handle like the ones in the videos. I know mine would tip over if I tried half of the stuff they did in the video...
Old 02-10-11, 09:19 PM
sayayin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is Motoharu Kurosawa from bestmotoring, nice video and surprise how the 2.5 beat the v8 engine.
Old 02-10-11, 10:21 PM
STRTORPTR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SH_JZZ30
I'm surprised the V12 850i was so slow even though it had the highest HP out of all of them.
None of these cars were designed for drag racing, so getting off the line quickly isn't a selling point for 850 and 4.0 Soarer. I'm sure at highway speeds these cars would put up more of a fight as opposed to launching 3600lbs luxo-coupes moving from a standstill.
Old 02-10-11, 11:48 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lfrers
I wonder how hard it would be to get your hands on a nice used SC if they all came with the 1J GTE or 2jzGTE factory motors.

They could have made the SC/Soarer scene as big as the Supra scene.
All because of some guy at Toyota made a lame marketing decision.
It cost as much as a Supra and then most ost us would not have afford it
Old 02-11-11, 01:01 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by suislide
It cost as much as a Supra and then most ost us would not have afford it
That's very true! However, there would be a lot more clean SC's out there and I'm sure most people would take better care of them like most people do with MKIV Supra TT's.
Old 02-11-11, 01:56 AM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great video! Legendary driver Kurosawa (he was famous before Tsuchiya became major and took over the fame) was calling Soarer 4.0's electrically controlled suspension unnatural and weird. He said between the 4.0 and 2.5TT, he prefers the 4.0 due to his liking on NA engines but likes the 2.5TT's suspension. Towards end of the video, he said to go with 2.5TT if you have a need to beat a guy next to you a at light.

I find it very interesting that 4.0 outperformed 2.5TT in braking despite the weight disadvantage. Again, great find and thanks for posting!
Old 02-11-11, 03:39 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^4.0 brakes are a tad larger than the 2.5tt if memory serves me right.
Old 02-11-11, 04:18 AM
BunthaKev
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil4Speed
4. Oh yeah, these Japanese test drivers have ***** of steel to be swerving on a banked course especially so close to the guardrail.
@ 150 mph mind you.
Old 02-11-11, 06:19 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

LOL @ 09's and 10's that are fascinated at this "new vid". It is sooooo old.

Also, the UZZ32 has OIL suspension, not AIR suspension as the UZZ31 has so there are even differences there within the soarer ranks.

It's ok though..... there was a time thirty thousand posts ago when I had 7 days of Club Lexus under my belt and I asked a few questions about the Soarer as well. The info we used to get back then however was not "guesses" like today. People in the early days of CL knew their history and gave good answers like Peter's explanation on number 26 OF THIS THREAD in the second thread I ever posted here.
Old 02-11-11, 07:18 AM
Gimpster
Driver

This somewhat ties in with how I was going to reply to Kira X's post.

OLT you're right, and having come from the MR2 World (10 years into those cars) people always managed to dig up old videos like this. I think its a good thing new blood in, new blood out.

"Back then" people were also paying substantial amounts of money for these vehicles, now many have or are purchasing them for < $2,000. I don't mean to be hard, but that often changes the dynamics of a community. Then again being a retard often knows no economic bounds.

The window sticker for my '95 SC400 is a hair under $54,000... not too far off a '95 MKIV TT. I got my car off the original owner and he took OK car of it, but its a typical 90's luxury car. I see early 90's Honda Accords better maintained mechanically and cosmetically than most SC's I looked at when I shopped around. The Acura Legend is about the same as cheaper SC's... whens the last time you saw a nice Legend? Many of them are hooded out.

I rambled all over the place

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
LOL @ 09's and 10's that are fascinated at this "new vid". It is sooooo old.

Also, the UZZ32 has OIL suspension, not AIR suspension as the UZZ31 has so there are even differences there within the soarer ranks.

It's ok though..... there was a time thirty thousand posts ago when I had 7 days of Club Lexus under my belt and I asked a few questions about the Soarer as well. The info we used to get back then however was not "guesses" like today. People in the early days of CL knew their history and gave good answers like Peter's explanation on number 26 OF THIS THREAD in the second thread I ever posted here.
Old 02-11-11, 08:22 AM
Neil4Speed
Driver

I had a 6-Speed Legend Type II, and a Type I sedan, both were quick cars, and I believe the fastest front wheel drive cars available for a while - I didn't expect the Legend to kill the SC, but did expect it to win.

As stated above, the number of nice Legends is pretty much slim to nil, while there are still quite a few nice SC's rolling around. Both are really nice cars, surprisingly different, but nice in their own ways.
Old 02-14-11, 06:25 AM
BunthaKev
Rookie

I think that there are more sc's around then Legends is that people up in the snow belt tend to avoid rear wheel drive cars. so they trash and abuse cars like the legend. If you live in the snow belt and own a rear drive car than it either means you are dumb or can afford to own more than one vehicle.
Old 02-14-11, 07:54 AM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best Motoring is my ****!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by BunthaKev
I think that there are more sc's around then Legends is that people up in the snow belt tend to avoid rear wheel drive cars. so they trash and abuse cars like the legend. If you live in the snow belt and own a rear drive car than it either means you are dumb or can afford to own more than one vehicle.
Ive driven my sc everyday this year and im from Boston and we have been getting slammed with snow. never had a problem, but i have 4 snow tires. The Sc is a very fun car to drive in the snow if you can handle/ control it
Old 02-14-11, 11:45 AM
kpkim01
Lead Lap

+1 on that, all you need is some good tires and know your limits in the snow and your good to go

Quick Reply: Cool Japanese Comparison Video - 4.0L, 2.5GT, 850i, Legend