SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cool Japanese Comparison Video - 4.0L, 2.5GT, 850i, Legend

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 02:54 PM
Emilio253
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, I had some close calls this winter, but I kept her under control and got home safely..
Old 02-14-11, 03:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The 4.0L is slow. I'll tell you why it lost: transmission. It's **** slow, although the engagements are pretty smooth. Anyone who has driven an automatic Legend knows the transmission isn't the most smoothest thing out there, but when it shift, it shifts fast relative to the SC.
Old 02-14-11, 03:41 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by GSteg
The 4.0L is slow. I'll tell you why it lost: transmission. It's **** slow, although the engagements are pretty smooth. Anyone who has driven an automatic Legend knows the transmission isn't the most smoothest thing out there, but when it shift, it shifts fast relative to the SC.
That is so true! When you look at the specs for a stock 5-speed SC300 and the 92-94 SC400, the quarter mile and acceleration times are very close. If the SC400 had a 5-speed transmission, it definitely wouldn't have lost in the video.
Old 02-14-11, 03:41 PM
DonS1mpson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iridebmx
^4.0 brakes are a tad larger than the 2.5tt if memory serves me right.
Your memory serves you wrong (at least when it comes to Soarers) .

UZZ32 (Active) Soarers and TT Soarers share exactly the same brake setup, but please believe me when I say that you really feel the extra weight of the car primarily through the brakes. I once test drove a 32, then hopped about into my Soarer (a tt) which exactly the same braking setup and damn near hit the windscreen when I first applied the brakes because they felt so sharp compared to what I had just been driving.

Anyway, a bit irrelevant because the TT clearly out braked the 32 (116m for the 32 Vs 107m for the TT)

As for it loosing that race, please remember that an Active soarer does carry a LOT of extra bulk. And then you've got to remember that there is a peristaltic drain on the engine thanks to the pump for the trick suspension.

But to be completely honest, if you care about straight line performance the UZZ32 is COMPLETELY lost to you. It isn't about getting to point A to Point B in the quickest time. It is about getting to Point B in the most erringly stable and comfortable environment you could possibly imagine. The suspension system seems impressive when you read about it on the internet. Getting behind the wheel and driving it is even better .

The car in the video could have been murdered by a Geo. It still wouldn't stop that 'slow' V8 from being the best Soarer/'SC' available bar absoultely none.
Old 02-14-11, 03:44 PM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jjffyy
I'm not surprised that the 4.0 lost to the legend. It is a lot lighter than the 4.0 and that's where the power to weight ratio comes to play. I wonder what the outcome would've been if the legend was the 6-speed version.
the six speed legends were actually slower off the line being that they were type 2 engines and had lower torque.
Old 02-14-11, 03:58 PM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the reason there are more nicer Sc's still out there than legend is simply cause of the production. Legend ended its production in 1995. sc's were around till 2000. Theres no rocket science involved in that really lol
Old 02-15-11, 04:36 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about better ´92 Sc´s than Legends?
BTW, the SC400 do the 1/4 mile in the high 15s and will win against a uzz32 Soarer (Active) anytime.
Old 02-15-11, 05:18 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by ScBouncE
I think the reason there are more nicer Sc's still out there than legend is simply cause of the production. Legend ended its production in 1995. sc's were around till 2000. Theres no rocket science involved in that really lol
i beg to differ with you on this.

i think the reason is the acura legend-- although it was a nice vehicle --was not necessarily a luxury vehicle and was on a lower scale than the lexus sc400.

most lexus owners had money to do things like maintenance and keep it clean and take care of it.

acura was just a step above honda---it was no lexus.

acuras lost there value alot quicker and ended up in the wrong hands sooner than the sc would have

from what i heard it took a long time for the sc to decrease in value

even now a good clean sc with low mileage fecthes some serious dough

acuras not so much
Old 02-15-11, 06:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Acura Legend not a luxury vehicle? It was at the time regarded as high quality luxury vehicle that competed with the GS300 (sedan). The only thing it didn't have was the right wheel drive. SC and Legends (coupe) were compared all the time and the difference between a Honda and an Acura back then was MUCH bigger than Honda and Acura of today. It had a chassis of its own, and not shared with any other Honda. The engine wasn't shared either so it's not just one step above Honda. A 6spd coupe w/low mileage is just as sought after as a nicely kept SC.

The cost to buy a Legend now vs an equivalent year SC300 is about the same. It comes down to the rarity and how well the car was maintained. Most of the nicer SC are 97+. The 92-96 can be messed up as some of the Legends I have seen.
Old 02-15-11, 06:38 PM
LexFather

Yeah I agree and quite frankly the Legend is the best sedan/coupe they have made to date sans the NSX. The Legend was an Acura built to beat the best, not to a price point. It was built in Japan. It used real wood and the rear windows dropped. The Legend GS in particular is one of the all time Japanese greats with the 6 speed manual and 230hp engine. Acura is so lame the RL after it had only 210hp.

I've driven both plenty of times, had a SC and I love both. I prefer the SC for its V-8 and RWD but the Legend was a great RWD V-6 car.
Old 02-15-11, 07:02 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Acura Legend not a luxury vehicle? It was at the time regarded as high quality luxury vehicle that competed with the GS300 (sedan). The only thing it didn't have was the right wheel drive. SC and Legends (coupe) were compared all the time and the difference between a Honda and an Acura back then was MUCH bigger than Honda and Acura of today. It had a chassis of its own, and not shared with any other Honda. The engine wasn't shared either so it's not just one step above Honda. A 6spd coupe w/low mileage is just as sought after as a nicely kept SC.

The cost to buy a Legend now vs an equivalent year SC300 is about the same. It comes down to the rarity and how well the car was maintained. Most of the nicer SC are 97+. The 92-96 can be messed up as some of the Legends I have seen.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah I agree and quite frankly the Legend is the best sedan/coupe they have made to date sans the NSX. The Legend was an Acura built to beat the best, not to a price point. It was built in Japan. It used real wood and the rear windows dropped. The Legend GS in particular is one of the all time Japanese greats with the 6 speed manual and 230hp engine. Acura is so lame the RL after it had only 210hp.

I've driven both plenty of times, had a SC and I love both. I prefer the SC for its V-8 and RWD but the Legend was a great RWD V-6 car.
guys dont get me wrong I am also a fan of the acura legend ---or well at least i used to be.

The legend in the 90's was a very popular car and might well of been considered a luxury car.

But i still stand by what I said that it isnt on the same caliber as lexus.

Maybe it was on par with the es 300 or the gs 300 as you said but i dont believe it was on the same level with the sc400 or even the ls400 which is the topic at hand.

But again please believe i am not knocking the legend, as i said earlier in one of my posts i was actually a big fan of it when i was younger and had my mind set on getting one at one point.

I think a if a sc400 and a legend with the same miles and same year were for sale both in good shape---im confident the sc would get a significantly higher price.

the 2 door legends are extremely rare I dont believe i have ever seen one with decent mileage in decent shape for sale at all-----they are probably worth quite a bit of money in good shape.

anyways thanks for the responses though guys

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 02-15-11 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-15-11, 07:09 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

oh and sicklex as far as the legend being the best sedan being made by acura to date ----whats your opinion on the 3.5rl?

I was also a big fan of that for a while.
Old 02-15-11, 08:47 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BunthaKev
I think that there are more sc's around then Legends is that people up in the snow belt tend to avoid rear wheel drive cars. so they trash and abuse cars like the legend. If you live in the snow belt and own a rear drive car than it either means you are dumb or can afford to own more than one vehicle.
I live in Denver, CO and my SC400 is my only car, does that mean Im dumb? Or maybe it means that I know how to drive a rear wheel drive car in the snow

Sweet vid btw, someone else said it and I totally agree, the #1 that hold back the power of the 4.0 is that stupid 4spd trans. The 1uz doesnt reach maximum hp until 5600rpm which would put the power ban at about 4000rpm (im guessing), yet, when you shift into 2nd your at 3500rpm. Stupid transmission
Old 02-16-11, 07:57 AM
BunthaKev
Rookie

Originally Posted by NEbiker10
Best Motoring is my ****!!!!!!!

Ive driven my sc everyday this year and im from Boston and we have been getting slammed with snow. never had a problem, but i have 4 snow tires. The Sc is a very fun car to drive in the snow if you can handle/ control it
I live in Maine and it would be a Damn shame to so one of these beautiful cars driving around on our roads. Main uses Liquid calcium to salt the roads. So say goodbye to your under cairage. If you don't know what liquid calcium is just put it this way. Mechanics up here call it tin worms.
Old 02-16-11, 08:26 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

this is the first winter ive driven my sc around and i am very impressed with the trac control, its actually quite amazing.