SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

CarPCs are easier than you think!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 08:28 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by NEbiker10
This is how drive to the snowboard mountains...Ipad fit perfect behind that lil lip

Mos Def.
Old 02-14-11, 08:36 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NEbiker10
This is how drive to the snowboard mountains...

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Mos Def.
most DEF a actually....stop watching the iPad while your driving
Old 02-14-11, 11:54 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that's why i like the screen in the factory radio location. It's easily accessible but not too much in your line of sight.

And why i didn't use an SSD? Well, i didn't plan on buying one yet. But yes, that's on the shopping list for sure. Once i get GPS running, and my library gets full, i'll order maybe a 64gb SSD, and put the inportant stuff on there, and maybe another, larger HDD for the lesser used music. I'm in my car so much, and i love listening to music, so this is very ideal for me.
Old 02-14-11, 11:56 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pieisgude
And SCenforcer, on the bright side, you now have a new amp =) but i'm having issues with my sound as well, i need to install a newer driver to make use of the line in and mic in jacks so i can have 5.1 sound. I'm hoping a newer driver will solve this (seeing as my old motherboard is well, old). I might just buy a USB soundcard if that fails.
Yeh, xcept it was $800 I didnt want to spend. Gonna have to wait on that new suspension now
I'm surprised you're even getting any kind of decent sound at all without having a soundcard. The cars amp is simply not made to be compatible with a computer. From what I found/researched, everyone whose tried integrating the two using the computers onboard soundcard (which is usually extremely limited) has had problems with sound. Just pick up a soundcard man, it cheap and having 5.1 surround in your car is amazing. Sound quality is great as well, you'll see that the stock speakers are great.

Originally Posted by Klaus
I'd love to be able to do this with a windows embedded setup on an SSD, but I don't centrafuse will run on CE. It would give it more of an OEM look and feel though. That's the one thing that's held me back on carPCs is the "non geek" factor- having to boot up a computer and start up programs to jam out and listen to GPS isn't totally ideal. I'll have to get over to MP3car and see what developments they've made lately

EDIT:
Okay scratch that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87LHizlgDQk

NOW we're talking.
My setup goes into hibernate when I turn the car off. It uses barely any power (I'm talking minimul mili-amps) so it wont drain the battery up to a week or so. Then when I turn the car on it wakes in a matter of seconds and straight into where I left off. Nothing needs to boot or anything.
Klaus, the possibilities with carPC's are virtually endless. If you have the wherewithal you can get them to do just about anything. Currently I'm trying to figure out how to integrate a radar-scanner into mine instead of having that module that you stick to your windshield.
Old 02-14-11, 12:43 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the iPad and seeing it in the Lexus vehicles. Seeing as I work for Apple it makes me happy to see these products.

Great job on the In-car PC as well that is incredible work.
Old 02-14-11, 12:52 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

android tablet.. DONE or mac mini
Old 02-14-11, 02:17 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, right now it's a temporary fix, getting a new sound driver. I only have the front speakers hooked up (tweeters and mids), and it sounds pretty close to stock. There's a slight noise that i can hear that i'm going to work on with my dad. But it honestly works integrating it into your factory sound. If i can remove the noise, then it'll be golden.
A USB soundcard will probably be on the shopping list pretty soon, so i can really mess with the balance.

I'm off to take pictures/video. Anyone know how to make Windows 7 hibernate instead of shut down?
Old 02-14-11, 05:21 PM
SQ400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Listen my friends I have been building carpc for quite a few years now. The first one I built was back in like 04 in a Ford Excursion, based off the Via M10000 Mini ITX MB, the power supplies were the weak link back then now the power supplies are very nice. The M2-ATX the OP used is very nice and very small.

You can now buy a nice pre-built Carpc for a very affordable price.

Here you go:

http://www.mo-co-so.com/

Very affordable and everything you will ever need. Get yourself a mobile WIFI card and your set. They even have standard RCA outputs.

Last edited by SQ400; 02-14-11 at 05:24 PM.