SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

anyone ever blown their engine??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 08:53 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

the 1uz is pretty bullet proof, i ran the motor 10k miles without changing the oil once, there was only like 2 quarts left in the motor, i've red lined it a couple of times when i wasnt paying attention to the rpm meter and my motor is well over 300k
Old 02-15-11, 09:21 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by MattStarr
Dont quote me on this but I read something, somewhere that said that as to Toyota's knowledge, to date, there has never been a report of catastrophic engine failure in any vehicle with a 1uz (gs400, ls400, sc400, soarer, aristo, celsior and crown majestic) that hasnt been proven to have been missused or abused.

I just spent about 20 mins trying to find that article with no luck. If anyone else can find it, please post the link.
amazing-----part of me can believe it because i have also never heard of any catastrophic failures with these engines either.

Originally Posted by chnk
the 1uz is pretty bullet proof, i ran the motor 10k miles without changing the oil once, there was only like 2 quarts left in the motor, i've red lined it a couple of times when i wasnt paying attention to the rpm meter and my motor is well over 300k

lol 10 000 miles? why would u wait so long.

300 000 miles is something very few engines ever see, impressive
Old 02-15-11, 09:23 PM
sc300PR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chnk
lol i agree! i did the same ******!! the oil was super black and once in a while the low oil light would flicker for a sec. so i did it at my friends. we pored the oil back into the empty quarts and was only filled 2 qrts!! my heart dropped cuz i was beating the hell out of it! the motor still ran Strong and very Smooth! it was a 95 sc400 with 193k.. wat a beast!!
Old 02-15-11, 09:57 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's like comparing apples to oranges when determining the reliability of said motor. Comparing an OEM motor to one that's been modded introduces different elements when calculating how reliable a motor is. Yes, Toyotas can go 250k+ miles quite easily, then that can be said about the majority of major manufacturers today. Once you talk about forced induction, it's a totally different realm.

I have not personally experienced a blown motor; it's not a matter of "if" but "when", I know my day will come soon. However, I do know of several people that have been through motors. These motors saw nearly 40 pounds of boost, so they were basically ticking time-bombs. The current motor my friend has is regularly making around 1100 horsepower at around 38 pounds of boost. Is the motor reliable? I would say so, it has about 8000 - 10000 miles (street and race miles) on the last build. It's due for a freshening up at the end of the season.

As with anything else. If you have proper supporting mods, a correct tune and if you develop an acute sense of listening and feeling your motor you can eliminate many things that can go wrong. One of the most important things is to have supporting fuel and a means of measuring AFR's.
Old 02-15-11, 10:02 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300PR
lol i agree! i did the same ******!! the oil was super black and once in a while the low oil light would flicker for a sec. so i did it at my friends. we pored the oil back into the empty quarts and was only filled 2 qrts!! my heart dropped cuz i was beating the hell out of it! the motor still ran Strong and very Smooth! it was a 95 sc400 with 193k.. wat a beast!!
Monitoring oil is a key component when expecting a motor to be reliable. It's best to keep oil full and changed at regular intervals. Letting oil run low means there's less oil to lubricate and cool moving parts; having a lower volume also means the oil in the pan will get contaminated much quicker. Damage that can be done that's not initially apparent over time are spun bearings.

A $20 - $30 oil and filter change beats replacing a motor.
Old 02-16-11, 07:49 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SChema
It's like comparing apples to oranges when determining the reliability of said motor. Comparing an OEM motor to one that's been modded introduces different elements when calculating how reliable a motor is. Yes, Toyotas can go 250k+ miles quite easily, then that can be said about the majority of major manufacturers today. Once you talk about forced induction, it's a totally different realm.

I have not personally experienced a blown motor; it's not a matter of "if" but "when", I know my day will come soon. However, I do know of several people that have been through motors. These motors saw nearly 40 pounds of boost, so they were basically ticking time-bombs. The current motor my friend has is regularly making around 1100 horsepower at around 38 pounds of boost. Is the motor reliable? I would say so, it has about 8000 - 10000 miles (street and race miles) on the last build. It's due for a freshening up at the end of the season.

As with anything else. If you have proper supporting mods, a correct tune and if you develop an acute sense of listening and feeling your motor you can eliminate many things that can go wrong. One of the most important things is to have supporting fuel and a means of measuring AFR's.
thats exactly why i asked this question.

with all the people here boosting and supercharging I figured there has to be people blowing their engines.

I see people saying things on there signature like "boosting daily" and I say I wonder how long the engine can take it.

anyways thanks for the response

Originally Posted by SChema
Monitoring oil is a key component when expecting a motor to be reliable. It's best to keep oil full and changed at regular intervals. Letting oil run low means there's less oil to lubricate and cool moving parts; having a lower volume also means the oil in the pan will get contaminated much quicker. Damage that can be done that's not initially apparent over time are spun bearings.

A $20 - $30 oil and filter change beats replacing a motor.
I agree it is the least you can do, not to say i havent went over the recomended time before but I try not to go too far with it.
Old 02-16-11, 03:14 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by BenStoked
guy here in OKC blew his motor up. gte swap in an is300. detonation is very bad.....
Who was it? Are they on here?
Old 02-16-11, 03:15 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I've seen a few SC's with blown engines for sale before, but I can't think of anyone that has blown one personally.
Old 02-16-11, 05:24 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kira X
Who was it? Are they on here?
Chopstix (tony). idk if he is or not, never checked?
Old 02-16-11, 07:15 PM
Mr.1.5
Lead Lap

Mine went not to long ago. No biggy just put another GE block in and go bigger. Trying to save up for an AEM now.
Old 02-16-11, 07:20 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr.1.5
Mine went not to long ago. No biggy just put another GE block in and go bigger. Trying to save up for an AEM now.
can u please tell me more about how it "went"

were u hard on the engine alot?

boosting?supercharging?

im assuming a 1jz?

did it just blow while your driving?

most importantly how many miles?
Old 02-16-11, 07:41 PM
scforlife
Driver

IMO these are one of the best motors i have had the privelage of working on. Ive built quite a few domestic and import motors, ex: chevrolet small blocks and big blocks, ford small blocks, and a mitsubishi eclipse motor (worst POS ever). If you keep up with the maitnence and treat it right it will treat you right, even if you decide to have some fun, it always seems like the 1uz wants more abuse. My grandfather who has built stock car motors for 40+ years is absolutly amazed with these motors, I remember the first weekand I got my car, we took it all the way apart to the block and put it all the way back together. For a car with 148,xxx miles it seemed like it was brand new. I have only heard of one case of a blown 1uz though.
Old 02-17-11, 08:00 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scforlife
IMO these are one of the best motors i have had the privelage of working on. Ive built quite a few domestic and import motors, ex: chevrolet small blocks and big blocks, ford small blocks, and a mitsubishi eclipse motor (worst POS ever). If you keep up with the maitnence and treat it right it will treat you right, even if you decide to have some fun, it always seems like the 1uz wants more abuse. My grandfather who has built stock car motors for 40+ years is absolutly amazed with these motors, I remember the first weekand I got my car, we took it all the way apart to the block and put it all the way back together. For a car with 148,xxx miles it seemed like it was brand new. I have only heard of one case of a blown 1uz though.
interesting,

thanks for the response
Old 07-13-11, 01:50 PM
2003is300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Triple C
When your timing, Boost and Fuel arnt working together detonation occurs. Detonation typically happens to Turbo'd NA motors that are set for a Different Timing and Spark Curve. a Map sensor has a lot to do wth keeping these things correct and prevent detonation.
Your partially correct, except detonation can happen to any engine with high enough compression. Its not only prone to turbo charged NA born engines.
Originally Posted by HEWJsc4
Heh, they are really that good! Toyota put a lot of r&d into the 1uzfe and its reliability is legendary. That's not saying they wont ever experience catastrophic failure, though.

The motor BenStoked mentioned was not a 1uz.

Detonation is also called "knocking" and occurs for various reasons like running too lean for example.
Ugh, detonation occures when the gasoline is ignited too early during the compression stroke. It happens from either low octane fuel or too far advanced timing with the given compression of the engine. Basically you want to advance timing until u hear knocking then retard a few degrees, what your trying to acheive is maximum cylinder pressure. This is done by having the fuel in the cylinder fully ignite just as the piston is starting its powerstroke. It takes time for all the gas to burn so typically timing is set BTDC and by the time it fully combusts the piston just starts to decent from TDC on its powerstroke.

Running lean causes combustion temps to go uncontrolled and will lead to melting piston crowns...warped head, block and cracked rings.

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
amazing-----part of me can believe it because i have also never heard of any catastrophic failures with these engines either.

lol 10 000 miles? why would u wait so long.

300 000 miles is something very few engines ever see, impressive
300,000 miles is actually quiet common, ive seen a ford with over a million miles on the original engine. Ive seen plenty of toyotas and hondas with over 300,000 miles ,so its not that uncommon. It just depends on how you maintain your vehicle, tunes ups..water pumps..coolant changes, oil changes ect...

Generall,y any car that has a halfassed maint. schedule should last 150,000+

Last edited by 2003is300; 07-13-11 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 02:08 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Well said sir, thanks for you input.

Quick Reply: anyone ever blown their engine??????