SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Does Anyone Know Of A Cheap And Easy Way...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 02:40 AM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
This is the same guy that made this post...

"you guys are a bunch of pansies. I've hit my limiter multiple times with studded snow tires and once Ive even steered the car with my knee @ 150 while I lit up a cigarette. I can't wait to get that limiter removed (and install a 5 speed) to see what it'll actually do."
Whats your point? That discussion was about the speed limiter, this disscussion is about the rev limiter. 2 completely different things.

Originally Posted by QwkSC
Something tells me he doesn't actually have a turbo.....
You asked about revving the 1UZ to 9k rpm to see how it sounds. Sorry, not to be a jerk but that sounds like trolling to me. Did you really expect a technical answer?
Im sorry if what I said came across that way. I was really frustrated today and hopped on here trying to get my mind on another subject. I was mostly wanting to attempt a theory I had and was hoping that someone would know of an easy way to raise the rev limiter that wouldnt cost very much because Im broke as s### right now. I just spent a ton of $ on other areas of the car which is kind of why Im trying to keep this as hush, hush as I possibly can. Once its all done Im going show everything in one thread. I will tell you that the turbo is a ct26 and my manifold is the most hideous thing anyone will ever see, but it works. The turbo was given me for free btw and I posted a thread asking what to do about the manifold which I eventually fabricated a working one.

Originally Posted by Klaus
Matt, I'm sorry that you feel the responses you've been getting aren't direct or credible, however you would do well to consider how you are asking your questions. You're saying that your turboed 1uz is struggling against an acura TSX. That right there is an extremely hard pill for any of us to swallow here.
The TSX that this guy has is the brand new one with the 3.5l V6, but it also dawned on me earlier today that up until yesterday my intake has been swimming in ATF because this happened https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-one-out.html
To blow off some steam earlier today (because of a stupid girl not CL) I pulled apart my entire throttle body, cleaned the **** out of it and went for a drive and I think my sh##y mutant manifold is starting to fail, which is probably whats causing me to lose boost, but I still think 2nd gear is too tall and I would love to test my theory of raising the rev limiter to 7000 or 7500 rpm. I know doing a 5spd swap would be more ideal for what Im trying to accomplish but Ive been having a hard time finding a decent r154 or even w58 and like I said, I just blew way to much $ on other areas of the car but youll all have to wait 1 more week before you get to see it.

Last edited by MattStarr; 02-17-11 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-17-11, 06:14 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude if you want info on sc300 or 400 in colorado find FrankDMS. or go to the www.triplecrowndrift.com site. i think his email is frank@denvermotorsports.com

PS quit you BS crying stuff. and if your getting beat by a TSX something must be jacked up
Old 02-17-11, 08:08 AM
SC400-PHAE
Pole Position

lets just see pics of your set up?
Old 02-17-11, 08:17 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

I have been in this section of the forum for 4 days and I call total 100% BS. There are too many inconsistencies in this story.
Old 02-17-11, 09:58 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MattStarr
Whats your point? That discussion was about the speed limiter, this disscussion is about the rev limiter. 2 completely different things.
You obviously missed my point. My point is that your statements make you sound like you're full of ****.
Old 02-17-11, 11:36 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
You obviously missed my point. My point is that your statements make you sound like you're full of ****.
+1

10char
Old 02-17-11, 01:30 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

what size turbo are u running? big? little? single? twin? remote single?? i wanna know how big this turbo is that cant be spooled up fast enough by a v8
Old 02-17-11, 01:34 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by scviolence
what size turbo are u running? big? little? single? twin? remote single?? i wanna know how big this turbo is that cant be spooled up fast enough by a v8
why would a v8 spool the turbo faster than say a v6?

Im not questioning your logic or being sarcastic I just really dont know alot about turbos and I like to learn wherever I can.

And im also assuming the bigger the turbo the longer it takes to spool?

Spooling=the turbo giving power to the engine?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-17-11, 02:44 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
why would a v8 spool the turbo faster than say a v6?

Im not questioning your logic or being sarcastic I just really dont know alot about turbos and I like to learn wherever I can.

And im also assuming the bigger the turbo the longer it takes to spool?

Spooling=the turbo giving power to the engine?

Thanks in advance
We'll he's going with the generality that v8s are typically larger displacement which tends to hold true, as v8 under 4.0 liters are fairly uncommon and 6 cylinder engines over 4.0 liters are uncommon as well

With that out of the way, quick and dirty physics lesson for you

Force = Mass * Acceleration.

So with that in mind, if the acceleration of an object stays constant but it's mass increases, force will increase right?

A 3.0 i6 will move less mass of exhaust vs a 4.0 v8 at the same given RPMs, therefore the exhaust coming out of the 4.0 will have a greater force on the exhaust wheel of the turbo.

Now we go back to the initial formula, As the force on the exhaust wheel increases and mass stays the same, acceleration will increase. And we now have our faster spool time
Old 02-17-11, 03:04 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Klaus
We'll he's going with the generality that v8s are typically larger displacement which tends to hold true, as v8 under 4.0 liters are fairly uncommon and 6 cylinder engines over 4.0 liters are uncommon as well

With that out of the way, quick and dirty physics lesson for you

Force = Mass * Acceleration.

So with that in mind, if the acceleration of an object stays constant but it's mass increases, force will increase right?

A 3.0 i6 will move less mass of exhaust vs a 4.0 v8 at the same given RPMs, therefore the exhaust coming out of the 4.0 will have a greater force on the exhaust wheel of the turbo.

Now we go back to the initial formula, As the force on the exhaust wheel increases and mass stays the same, acceleration will increase. And we now have our faster spool time

thanks for explaining thaqt .

to show you how limited my knowledge of turbos are, I didnt realize till now that they are powered by the exhaust of the car its attached to.

interesting
Old 02-17-11, 04:00 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either no turbo or one of the coil packs is unplugged...or something. My W58'ed '93 ran mid to high 14's (time-slip verified) at sea level with everything else stock and an unplugged maf because my ecu was old and probably had half leaking capacitors or something.

Regardless, if you really were boosted you should go standalone and for under $600 you can build your own Megasquirt 3/X and install it. You would also need a wide-band which you should already have if boosted anyways. I got mine dialed in better than the factory tune [in most areas] within a week.

I would love to see a dyno of a stock 1uz revving to 9k lol. It would be a perfect parabola!
Old 02-17-11, 04:43 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Maybe he meant the Turbonator lol
Old 02-17-11, 05:40 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by QwkSC
Maybe he meant the Turbonator lol
now that might make sense lol.... haha hey matt how much boost are you running exactly?
Old 02-19-11, 10:14 AM
SC400-PHAE
Pole Position

still has nothing to show..... im thnking bull****
Old 02-19-11, 10:17 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

This thread needs to die

Quick Reply: Does Anyone Know Of A Cheap And Easy Way...