SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Does Anyone Know Of A Cheap And Easy Way...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 01:04 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does Anyone Know Of A Cheap And Easy Way...

to remove the rev limiter on an SC400? Ive been told that the only way is with a stand alone but they're really expensive and I dont want one yet. I know that the 1uz can rev to 9000 rpm thanks to its 6 bolt main and being able to stay in the power ban when shifting into the 2nd, 3rd and 4th sounds just lovely to me. Plus, Im dying to hear what the uzi sounds like at that rpm.
Old 02-16-11, 01:27 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MattStarr
to remove the rev limiter on an SC400? Ive been told that the only way is with a stand alone but they're really expensive and I dont want one yet. I know that the 1uz can rev to 9000 rpm thanks to its 6 bolt main and being able to stay in the power ban when shifting into the 2nd, 3rd and 4th sounds just lovely to me. Plus, Im dying to hear what the uzi sounds like at that rpm.
what power band are you hitting at 9000rpm? in a stock headed and camed 1uz power starts falling fast after 6200rpm look up the graphs....
Old 02-16-11, 01:30 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
what power band are you hitting at 9000rpm? in a stock headed and camed 1uz power starts falling fast after 6200rpm look up the graphs....
180mph top speeds.
Old 02-16-11, 01:44 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

how do you plan on hitting this on the auto tranny?
Old 02-16-11, 01:47 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hes gonna change the shiftpoints and remove limiter and hit the powerband at 9k rpm and go back to the future
Old 02-16-11, 01:59 PM
SC400-PHAE
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTF is he talking about? ill believe it when i see it
Old 02-16-11, 02:15 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha okay man, is this a joke? Has to be a joke lol
Old 02-16-11, 02:16 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

haha i think he is serious lol
Old 02-16-11, 02:21 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

OK, I'll answer his question:

Umm, to rev and make power at 9k, you would need
-Ported (to an unsafe thickness) and Polished HEADS
-Custom specked CAM
-FORGED bottom end
-Custom INTAKE Manifold
-2in Runners, 3.5in Collector LT HEADERS
-upgraded FUEL
-STANDALONE to tune it.
-A baddas Dyno Tune/tuner.

Total should come to about 15k(probably more) for parts, say 3K for labor.

You could find someone to tune your oem ecu for about 500$ and remove the rev limiter. Then you could pull 9k rpm... Once.. Maybe.

Last edited by QwkSC; 02-16-11 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-16-11, 02:24 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by QwkSC
Umm, to rev and make power at 9k, you would need
lots of money$$$
Old 02-16-11, 02:33 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

ok, apparently I wasnt very clear on my intentions. The primary problem with the 92-97? 4spd transmission is that the gear ratios are, for lack of better words, awful. Ive recently discovered that when I shift into second Im at such a low rpm that my turbo is barely spooling and it takes what seems like forever to get the engine back into the power ban and the turbo spooling again. Im not looking to rev my engine to 9000 rpm, I was just saying that I know thats how much the 1uz can handle. Im wanting to be able to rev to 7000-7500 rpm for the time being so I can at least beat this stupid douche and his band new tsx that lives in my neigborhood. I can smoke him in off the line and all the way through first but the moment I shift to second I just feel a wave of depression as I watch my boost gauge fall and tsx blow past me.

Anyways, my point is, if I can shift at a higher rpm, say 7500 rpm, the engine will be at a much higher rpm and closer to the power ban when the next gear engages. ta dah

Last edited by MattStarr; 02-16-11 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-16-11, 02:41 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by MattStarr
ok, apparently I wasnt very clear on my intentions. The primary problem with the 92-97? 4spd transmission is that the gear ratios are, for lack of better words, awful. Ive recently discovered that when I shift into second Im at such a low rpm that my turbo is barely spooling and it takes what seems like forever to get the engine back into the power ban and the turbo spooling again. Im not looking to rev my engine to 9000 rpm, I was just saying that I know thats how much the 1uz can handle. Im wanting to be able to rev to 7000-7500 rpm for the time being so I can at least beat this stupid douche and his band new tsx that lives in my neigborhood. I can smoke him in off the line and all the way through first but the moment I shift to second I just get the most depressed look on my face as I watch my boost gauge fall and tsx blow past me.

Anyways, my point is, if I can shift at a higher rpm, say 7500 rpm, the engine will be at a much higher rpm and closer to the power ban when the next gear engages. ta dah
Okay. Let's take this one step at a time

A high rev limit will simply make your car fall on it's face in the upper range rather than the lower range. I shift my nicely flowing head at 7500RPM with the six speed. But of course that's a GTE with mild headwork and my torque is still relatively flat through it.

You're having trouble with a TSX??? With a boosted 2j? You have a lot more to deal with than a rev limit if that's the case. My stock SC400 has no problems with my girlfriend's TSX
Old 02-16-11, 02:42 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

I think the Aussies have been tuning 1UZ ECU's for a while. There used to be a place down there where you could send your ECU to get it tuned to your engine specs IIRC
Old 02-16-11, 03:09 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

I didn't realize the gauge cluster even went that high? That sounds kind of dangerous...
Old 02-16-11, 03:41 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

you guys should some more research on the 1uzfe. The point of a six bolt main is to be able to rev the engine to higher rpms. Ive seen exactly what Im attempting to do, done before but there was no info on how the limiter was raised or eliminated. I found the site for the guy in Australia who can flash an ecu but for the price to have it done i might as well just buy a stand alone.

I dont mean offense in any way by this but there was more info on modifying my 2000 4runner into a drag racer than there is for the sc400. I bought this car thinking that it would be much easier to get into the 14 second 1/4 mile (elev. 6000ft.) and so far it isnt. I know this has been said multiple time but what the hell is going on? Why is it like pulling teeth just to get little info on this car. Im not complaining only about CL, why the hell does lextreme have more info and products for the LS400 than the SC? err, im gonna go sit in my car and cry now. WTF

Quick Reply: Does Anyone Know Of A Cheap And Easy Way...