SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

JIC Twin Spartan vs. Greddy MX- you make the call!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-02, 11:06 PM
Dr.G
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JIC Twin Spartan vs. Greddy MX- you make the call!?

Alright, I've heard plenty of positive things in regards to the Greddy MX exhaust system in terms of sound and performance but I was wondering if any of you guys out there have heard/seen the JIC Twin Spartan catback on a sc300, and if so, how does it compare to the Greddy MX [looks, performance (low-end power loss), sound]. I'm only interested in the either of these two complete catbacks and not seeking advice in saving money in a custom job with mufflers. I'd rather not have to worry about searching around for the "right shop" to do the custom work with Mandrel bending, etc. but instead pay the extra for a quality complete setup that looks sharp, bolt it on and be done with it. So if any of you guys can provide some info and help me with my decision making process that would be great cuz' I've been holding out to install a new exhaust system and I'm ready to drop the dime!
Old 08-19-02, 11:46 PM
LexSteele
Rookie

Default GOOD QUESTION

I would also like to know.
Old 08-20-02, 01:55 AM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

I've been wanting a greddy full cat-back exhaust system, but they seem to be a bit too over-priced even for a Lexus owner.
Old 08-20-02, 02:23 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

What other mods do you have done/plan on doing?

I had the Greddy MX and the fit/finish was excellent. It looked very nice on the car, and was EXTREMELY quiet. I don't mean kind of quiet, I mean QUIET. Then again, I never heard it without a turbo on the car, and that kind of quiets it down by itself so maybe my point of view is worthless in this topic and I should shut up now.

-Ethan
Old 08-20-02, 03:26 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The low end power loss issue is way overrated. The ECU on our cars and every late model car for that matter should compensate for the reduced back-pressure. Ebanks, most mufflers will be quiet on our cars, even the V8. My theory is that damn cat plays a big role in it. The stock piping doesn't help either.
Old 08-20-02, 09:20 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

i havent seen or heard the JIc...but i have the GReddy/......and i had it on the car n/a and it sounded very nice ..could barly tell till you got on it...you have the right idea about doing it right and spending an extra couple bucks to get it right.....clint at www.turboimports.com can get ya the exahust for a good price...3 years i have had it now and still love it....Jeff
Old 08-20-02, 04:50 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually, the mufflers have a lot to do with the noise in this issue

i have a single pipe with a ultraflow muffler 3" in size (and piping), and its a lot louder than you're describing
Old 08-20-02, 08:19 PM
Dr.G
Lead Lap

Well I already have mod. intake, looking to add the exhaust and that's about it...Maybe further down the road step up to a turbo, but highly unlikely. Anyone seen or heard the results of the JIC Twin spartans?
Old 08-21-02, 02:33 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

prolly a bit louder than the Greddy

Greddys have always been quiet; which IMO is boring as hell

i like something moderately loud greddy gives you this garbage-can style exhaust; so its pretty quiet
Old 08-21-02, 08:23 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Bean bean bean...your dissappointing me........garbage can?...and too quiet?.....its a lexus not a honda.....with the greddy you can hear it just not as much as others...it has a very low rumble at idle....and when you step on it it sounds beautiful...not like a coffee can on the back of a honda that is lowered on stock wheels in front and 18s on the rear...know what i mean verne..
Jeff
Old 08-21-02, 11:11 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Ernest, ya got those things in FL too?
Old 08-21-02, 11:13 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

im showing my age huh verne.....lol
Old 08-21-02, 09:46 PM
henrynguyen
Driver

OK guys!

The reason why your cars exhaust sound quiet with Greddy exhaust is because your engine blows out enough air and power to cover both exhausts. If you have a big pipe setup and big muffler, your car will sound exactly like Honda and Acura. Remember that Honda and Acura stock muffler output pipe is a little bigger than your thump. Their after market exhausts muffler is extremely large. That was a reason why lots of Honda and Acura loss torque with their exhausts system. Too loud moving to slow…
Old 08-21-02, 10:44 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

The muffler tip on Honda exhaust maybe 4-inchs, but the inlet is still 2.25-inches and the piping is still 2.25-inches. The 4-inch tip is just for looks and doesn't mean 4-inch piping all the way to the headers. Larger pipes actually make for louder cars, but the reason those Honda mufflers are so loud is because they have resonators in them that act like whistles when exhaust waste is blowing through it. If you've seen and heard those old BMW Bavarias, they have a 2-inch tip with 2-inch pipes on a single muffler and they are loud as hell. Check out old VW bugs too, loud as hell! So that is why a 1.6-liter I-4 can sound louder than a 5.7 liter V-8. Once again, mufflers don't kill torque or low end power on newer cars. That is a problem on old iron pushrod engines without computerized fuel management. Honda and Acuras just have no torque because they are economy-oriented inline engines with very low displacement. That's three strikes against it!

Last edited by lex400sc; 08-21-02 at 10:49 PM.