SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Na-t or GTE swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-11, 09:23 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The issue with labor is it changes depending on what engine you buy.

You have a 97 5spd man.
You could get a Aristo engine because it's cheaper than Supra.
Ditch the auto and keep the 5spd..
Swap over your NA parts like the oil pans, fan clutch & engine mounts.
All you would need is the power steering reservoir, water pump and blade.
Intake too

See if you had a shop do labor you are looking at 200-500 for that. So what should cost you less because you are reusing parts becomes more because of labor.
Old 02-20-11, 10:30 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im glad I have a shop... when comes time to turbo mine, its only a matter of parts. Doing a swap is nearly idiotic IMO.

Why buy the same parts all over again basically?
Old 02-20-11, 11:03 PM
vipsoarer2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBrian81
The thing is, he's talking 4-500hp, not what the stock GTE makes. If all he wanted has 3-350, then a swap would make sense as it doesn't take much beyond the swap to get to those numbers. To get to where he wants to be will take another couple of grand dumped on top of a swap, so why not just spend the money on what he already has ? There's not any magic in motors out of Japan, they're just parts like what we have here. I know its not ZOMG!!! JDM tyhte! but build the ge motor, put a good turbo on it and a stand alone.
Buds got a gte with a holset 200 dollar diesil turbo and safc and a fuel pump and making 520 off the gte so just saying its easy. With a gte and 500 more bucks. IMO
Old 02-21-11, 12:44 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Got your buddy beat. I got a stock GE 92SC with 248000 on the clock. I did a multi port NOS wet kit. Installed it myself. Dynos at 507 WHP. Did the setup mysef. Used kit from a werecked Neon I saw at the junk yard for $90. Rest of the Drivetrain is stock. Runs great. Total sleeper. Cops dont even try to chase me.
Attached Thumbnails Na-t or GTE swap ?-dyno.jpg  
Old 02-21-11, 01:57 AM
vipsoarer2
Pole Position

Not to play who's **** is bigger..... but best friends RHD mk4 supra from canada is stock just with a denso fuel pump to4e and front mount has 642whp runs 11.22 all day stock everything else even clutch. Only self tuned on a SAFC. But just to make a point DO THE GTE bro not the NA-T...
Old 02-21-11, 03:27 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Go with NA-T and yes I have a GTE.
Old 02-21-11, 04:50 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go NA-T "IF", your GE motor is healthy.
Old 02-21-11, 07:09 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vipsoarer2
Buds got a gte with a holset 200 dollar diesil turbo and safc and a fuel pump and making 520 off the gte so just saying its easy. With a gte and 500 more bucks. IMO
You made my point, he had to change from the stock twins to a bigger single to get to 500hp. Why bother swapping in a motor with twins when to make real power you have to take them off and go single anyway ? The fact he used a $200 turbo is his choice, I'm going to pay more because I want my ish to spool up before next week.
Old 02-21-11, 07:54 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FatBrian81
You made my point, he had to change from the stock twins to a bigger single to get to 500hp. Why bother swapping in a motor with twins when to make real power you have to take them off and go single anyway ? The fact he used a $200 turbo is his choice, I'm going to pay more because I want my ish to spool up before next week.

Holset turbos spool like a muthatrucker dude. you must not know 'bout them
Old 02-21-11, 08:38 AM
Psyco
Driver School Candidate

Screw it ima go GTE my NA engine is that healthy anyways the only thing really killing me is school but I'll be done in June and finish payments by April so hopefully from what I saved since I put this post up to later I should have enough not to mention my taxes coming to but I just wanted to see if a Na-t engine was or is kinda bout the same as a GTE engine
Old 02-21-11, 08:41 AM
Psyco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by quickGS300
First you said money is low and but you want 500 wheel hp, not gonna happen my friend.
You need a better tranny and clutch to begin with and the list goes on and on.
Keep your car stock and enjoy it if you don't have the fund to do it right.

I'm just a bit impatient but slowly and surely I'll get where I wanna be
Old 02-21-11, 08:44 AM
thrysiss
Rookie

Originally Posted by Psyco
Screw it ima go GTE my NA engine is that healthy anyways the only thing really killing me is school but I'll be done in June and finish payments by April so hopefully from what I saved since I put this post up to later I should have enough not to mention my taxes coming to but I just wanted to see if a Na-t engine was or is kinda bout the same as a GTE engine
bad choice ur gonna regret it i had a 2jzgte and just sold my 1jzgte the torque u get from the na-t is amazing the only thing u gotta do is change the head gasket and safc2 or mapec2 and ur done
Old 02-21-11, 08:50 AM
Psyco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thrysiss
bad choice ur gonna regret it i had a 2jzgte and just sold my 1jzgte the torque u get from the na-t is amazing the only thing u gotta do is change the head gasket and safc2 or mapec2 and ur done
My NA has to much miles and while a rebuilt plus parts for a turbo and all etc just doesn't seem worth it in the end to me personally I'll Just buy a gte when I'm ready
Old 02-21-11, 11:43 AM
DuWerke
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What happened to the old saying "You gotta pay to play"?

Not to mention if you're boosting on a budget...chances are you shouldn't be boosting at all.

Then again there are exceptions.
Old 02-21-11, 12:08 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Those guys are sooo full of crap. I post my even more full of crap post and they still post more bull crap. All you "I got big HP on the cheap" guys are full of SHI* Straight up Jersey Shore around here. Bunch of kids. I bet your dad's had big hair and thought they were the SHI* cause they drove an IROC.

Quick Reply: Na-t or GTE swap ?