SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rear end Damage on SC. Debating what I should do.Pics included.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-11, 04:26 PM
ClearP
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a 5-speed.
Old 02-27-11, 09:29 PM
soarinhigh
Lead Lap

Just fix it.. I am almost finished with my "$7000" wreck.. and it only cost me 1500 since I did it myself.
Old 02-27-11, 09:51 PM
Dade305
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FatBrian81
if you like the offer just take it and save the middle man.
^^even better, and if you dont like the offer you can always counteroffer
Old 02-27-11, 10:38 PM
SC4ALBERT
Driver

Originally Posted by soarinhigh
Just fix it.. I am almost finished with my "$7000" wreck.. and it only cost me 1500 since I did it myself.
what happened? and how'd you fix it?
Old 02-27-11, 10:39 PM
SC4ALBERT
Driver

Originally Posted by Dade305
^^even better, and if you dont like the offer you can always counteroffer
can you explain counteroffer? haha example please if you don't mind.
Old 02-27-11, 10:58 PM
soarinhigh
Lead Lap

I totaled my car, fought the insurance company for more money. i.e. "counter offer" and then bought the car back from the insurance company. Now I am almost finished with the rebuild. I needed to do the whole front end and replace both airbags. I just finished the airbags today
Old 02-28-11, 11:01 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My body guy would fix that $h!t in one day and for way less. "Wow" for that comment about that being more than $2700 worth of damages!
Old 02-28-11, 11:59 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Default Apologies in advance for length

I've got to say that some of the tone that I'm picking up in this thread is REALLY disturbing. If the OP has a legitimate concern that he has sustained physical injury, then fine, by all means get checked out and hopefully there's no serious concerns there. BUT . . . what I'm picking up in this thread is a mentality of "playing up" physical injury concerns, specifically with the intent to "stick it" to the insurance company and score a big payoff check that can then be used for other purposes than medical needs.

I find that mentality utterly repugnant and I think that people who exploit "the system" like that should be absolutely ashamed (if not prosecuted!). It's this very practice that COSTS EVERYONE, not just the at fault driver, more on their insurance. Does anyone really think that the insurance companies don't just pass on these expenses as increased premiums to the public?

Another problem with this is that it can unfairly punish the 'at fault' party in the accident. Whenever an 'at fault' accident is reported on someone's insurance, it counts as a point (just like a speeding ticket). If there is any medical claim as a result of the accident, that increases its severity even further and will undoubtedly result in significant increases to the insured policy premiums for years! Again, if there are legitimate issues, then this is all completely appropriate, but take for example this situation which happened to my wife a few years ago:

She was in a line of cars in a dedicated right hand turn lane at a busy intersection. No stop was required, as there's a protected merge lane for quite a ways after completing the turn, but everyone generally double checks oncoming traffic over their left shoulder anyway. The driver in front of my wife paused to look, proceeded again, and then completely stopped mid turn . . . just as my wife was pausing to look over her shoulder. When my wife looked back and saw the stopped car, she slammed on her brakes but couldn't stop completely before bumping the stopped car VERY lightly; there was no parts damage to either car, just a paint scuff on the other car. Clearly, my wife was indeed at fault though.

Now, completing the picture, my wife is all dressed up for an important client meeting and driving a newer BMW. Immediately after the bumper contact, the driver of the other car hops out and starts screaming and holding her neck, saying she's in pain and insisting on having a police report taken. Long story short, my wife gets 2 points on her record and increased premiums for the next 3 years for what was obviously a setup/scam operation.

Please guys, don't advocate any similar behavior. It's just plain wrong!

Rant over.
Old 02-28-11, 12:23 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
I've got to say that some of the tone that I'm picking up in this thread is REALLY disturbing. If the OP has a legitimate concern that he has sustained physical injury, then fine, by all means get checked out and hopefully there's no serious concerns there. BUT . . . what I'm picking up in this thread is a mentality of "playing up" physical injury concerns, specifically with the intent to "stick it" to the insurance company and score a big payoff check that can then be used for other purposes than medical needs.

I find that mentality utterly repugnant and I think that people who exploit "the system" like that should be absolutely ashamed (if not prosecuted!). It's this very practice that COSTS EVERYONE, not just the at fault driver, more on their insurance. Does anyone really think that the insurance companies don't just pass on these expenses as increased premiums to the public?

Another problem with this is that it can unfairly punish the 'at fault' party in the accident. Whenever an 'at fault' accident is reported on someone's insurance, it counts as a point (just like a speeding ticket). If there is any medical claim as a result of the accident, that increases its severity even further and will undoubtedly result in significant increases to the insured policy premiums for years! Again, if there are legitimate issues, then this is all completely appropriate, but take for example this situation which happened to my wife a few years ago:

She was in a line of cars in a dedicated right hand turn lane at a busy intersection. No stop was required, as there's a protected merge lane for quite a ways after completing the turn, but everyone generally double checks oncoming traffic over their left shoulder anyway. The driver in front of my wife paused to look, proceeded again, and then completely stopped mid turn . . . just as my wife was pausing to look over her shoulder. When my wife looked back and saw the stopped car, she slammed on her brakes but couldn't stop completely before bumping the stopped car VERY lightly; there was no parts damage to either car, just a paint scuff on the other car. Clearly, my wife was indeed at fault though.

Now, completing the picture, my wife is all dressed up for an important client meeting and driving a newer BMW. Immediately after the bumper contact, the driver of the other car hops out and starts screaming and holding her neck, saying she's in pain and insisting on having a police report taken. Long story short, my wife gets 2 points on her record and increased premiums for the next 3 years for what was obviously a setup/scam operation.

Please guys, don't advocate any similar behavior. It's just plain wrong!

Rant over.
Sounds like insurance fraud to me.
Old 02-28-11, 01:13 PM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

I will shed a tear for those taillights.
I'm sorry I don't have any good advice for the car.
Old 02-28-11, 07:00 PM
SC4ALBERT
Driver

what you're missing though @Coolis and @good2go is that last Friday while I was working out I noticed some pain in my neck and lower back (and yes, I stretched beforehand). Now that's a week after the accident. and every time I tilt my neck left I hearing cracking. And right now, I still feel something wrong. In all honesty I want to know I'm okay and not have to pay for something that was not my fault. There have been stories where people who received whiplash in an auto accident and it gave them long-term lasting effects. I'm only 20 and I don't want the rest of my life ruined by this accident. I'm more scared than you know. Guess I'm paranoid like that. I'm only getting what I NEED. No more.I'm asking others how much you can receive because I just got the car quoted and it's gonna cost way more than $2700 to fix it. The quarter panels are indeed bent and the windows are moving extremely slow on top of what's on the picture. The other chatter by the members is merely helping me by giving me options to pay for medical and auto. Yeah there is some joking about getting loads of money but I'd never fake anything. On top of that, I still haven't been checked out..Gonna try and go tomorrow. If I were mildly hit I wouldn't even fake being injured because I agree with you, it's completely immoral and selfish. But in the end, whether you believe me or not, that's up to you.
Old 03-09-11, 05:29 AM
Dade305
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by good2go
i completely understand where your coming from. THAT EXACT SCENARIO happened to me about 2 years a go. i still pay $100 a month towards my settlement and havent missed a payment. why? I understand accidents happen all the time AND drivers should never be too careless on the road, i now leave a hellofalottaroom btwn me and the car ahead of me simply because i have no idea or control over what he/she may do. the car can spontaneously com-bust for all i know lol. i see where your coming from and i dont blame you for ranting, but the situation is SC4ALBERT actually was wrongfully rear-ended and DID suffer from whiplash. would it be wrong to pursue a lawsuit if it wasnt completely necessary? yes. would it be wrong to sue for pain that isnt visible yet very much there? not at all (unless ur already rich, then ur just being greedy lol) truthfully i was just letting him know what one of his options were.